Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
As others have said, find the leak. Tubes in radial tires are subject to much more sidewall flex, and will actually wear and eventually fail. They used to and may still make tubes especially for radial tires. They were used on wire spoke wheels and other wheels which would not hold air.

I had two aluminum wheels with very slow leaks on a car several years ago. I had the tires dismounted and I painted the inside of the rims which stopped the leaks. I just used "rattle can" black. Today I think I would use epoxy appliance paint which is also available in a spray can.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I had the tires dismounted and I painted the inside of the rims which stopped the leaks. I just used "rattle can" black. Today I think I would use epoxy appliance paint which is also available in a spray can.

Have been doing more of an online search of the subject of "aluminum porosity" this morning. In a discussion of some Slant-Six aluminum components, both powder coating and POR-15/similar coatings were being used.

Never could find more about the FORD wheel/epoxy paint TSB; was hoping for directions, the "how to", as one does not want to affect wheel balance.

New or used wheels, it appeals to me to have TPMS, etc, all ready to go for a tire/wheel swap. Chasing potential porosity problems (and oxidation problems) was just lagniappe.

What did you figure on yours, Aage?

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Rednax,

I'm not positive what to do, but I have a plan. I think it's the Alcoa wheels that may have rough edges. When we took it to the south, visited my brother in GA, and then wife's sister in FL, I had my compressor with me, and every other day it needed some air.

I figure that the rough edges are letting it out, and not too slowly. I will take one pair off and go down to the tire shop near the park and get them to dismount the tires and inspect the rims. If they aren't cracked, at that point I'll decide whether to buff out the roughness if that can be done, or try a tube.

Not wild about a tube, but I'm less inclined to replacing the wheels.

We'll see. What with the DW babysitting our granddaughter two days a week now, it's not likely that we will get much travelling done this coming year.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I would not use tubes; They were made to fit tires that are, for the most part, no longer made. This means that if the tube you select is a bit large, it will wrinkle, and fail. If the tube is too small, it will stretch, and fail. And in my case, my valve stems are located in the middle of my wheel; Not a standard location for valve stems on tubes. Fix, or replace, the cause of the leaks.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If it were mine, I would dismount all 4 tires and coat the inside of the rims with some epoxy paint. When I mounted the tires I would use the black bead sealant that tire shops use. I have done this on many aluminum wheels I have had on cars for the last 40 years, and this has stopped the leaks on all of them.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
In my search I also saw the recommendation of bead sealer and failed to mention it. Thanks.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air leak, tire