Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
San Diego , CA
Another "which tires" question

I have a recently purchased 1961 International Overlander:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ect-94521.html

I am now to the point where it's ready to leave the driveway, and it needs new tires.

As a point of reference, this trailer will probably venture an hour or two from home, but never (in the foreseeable future) farther than that - it is mostly our spare bedroom, but we'd like to use it to do some camping from time to time.

The tires that are on it right now are 8-14.5s.

I can replace the 8-14.5s, but if I were to blow one sometime down the road, obtaining a replacement on short notice would be difficult or impossible.

I can also get new wheels and tires. I am a little concerned at the rust on my wheels. I'd also like to get a more obtainable tire.

I am open to suggestions.
photomikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Some statistics on 8-14.5" tires:

OD = 27.8"
Width = 8.0" on a 6" rim
Load Carrying Capacity = Load Range C: 1985# @ 55 psi
Load Range D: 2270# @ 70 psi
Load Range E: 2600# @ 85 psi
Load Range F: 2835# @ 100 psi.

So the first step is to determine which load range you need.

Your trailer probably doesn't have a label that tells what the GAWR's were. It was built well before the regulations that required that sort of thing.

I can't read what the tire says either - and I'm guessing the tire won't say "Load Range X", it will say " Y Ply Rating" or " Y PR" with Y being an even number.

So see if you can find anything about the weight - either on the trailer or from research. Also look closely at the tire and see what it says for Load Range or Ply Rating.

I notice that the wheel has 6 bolts - and that may complicate things.

And just so you know: If you use an 8-14.5, you can use the original wheels. If you don't, you have to change wheels.

BTW, what I see on the wheels does not disturb me. The rust isn't bad, and a quick cleaning and painting will fix them up just fine.

So assuming you choose to change tire size:

An ST205/75R15 has an OD of 27.1", a width of 8.0" on a 5.5" rim, and a load carrying capacity of: Load Range C: 1820# @ 50 psi, 2150# @ 65 psi.

Many folks report problem with ST tires, so some consideration should be given to that.

What about LT tires? Unfortunately, there may be some space issues - and things about the same size as an 8-14.5 will have availability on the same order as an 8-14.5.

So the first question you need to ask is about buying new wheels or not. The next question is about load carrying capacity. Answer those questions and get back to us.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
San Diego , CA
Empty weight of the trailer, depending on what source you believe, is about 4000 lbs.

These charts may be of interest:

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...d0fad2072b.pdf

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...040b433aa1.pdf

If I can get by on the current wheels, I would like to do that. Then, is my easiest option just another 8-14.5LT? The tire shops seem to know little/nothing about them, and my questions fall on deaf ears.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
I have a recently purchased 1961 International Overlander:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ect-94521.html

I am now to the point where it's ready to leave the driveway, and it needs new tires.

As a point of reference, this trailer will probably venture an hour or two from home, but never (in the foreseeable future) farther than that - it is mostly our spare bedroom, but we'd like to use it to do some camping from time to time.

The tires that are on it right now are 8-14.5s.

I can replace the 8-14.5s, but if I were to blow one sometime down the road, obtaining a replacement on short notice would be difficult or impossible.

I can also get new wheels and tires. I am a little concerned at the rust on my wheels. I'd also like to get a more obtainable tire.

I am open to suggestions.
Bite the bullet & get new 15" wheels. This will give you a lot more choices in tires. Wheels & hub caps are available through Vintage Trailer Supply dot com for reasonable prices. They also come powder coated black so they'll look great for years. There are a lot of tire options, but few get good reviews. Load range D will suit your trailer.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Empty weight of the trailer, depending on what source you believe, is about 4000 lbs.

These charts may be of interest:

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...d0fad2072b.pdf

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...040b433aa1.pdf

If I can get by on the current wheels, I would like to do that. Then, is my easiest option just another 8-14.5LT? The tire shops seem to know little/nothing about them, and my questions fall on deaf ears.
The charts would be helpful if we knew which data was applicable.

Just and FYI: 8-14.5's are a pretty rare species and most tire dealers will not know about them. You will probably need to order the tire over the internet - or find a source that specializes in trailers.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have to agree with Colin on replacing the rims. You are better off staying away from ST or Bias ply tires. The light truck or passenger car tires rated from the proper load are best. I run 235/75-15XL you may have to go back to a 225/75-15 tire depending on your wheel wells. Your trailer is relatively light so a car tire rated for close to 2000lbs each should be plenty.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
San Diego , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
The charts would be helpful if we knew which data was applicable.
Ha! Whoops.

It's a 26' International Overlander with twin beds.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I have to agree with Colin on replacing the rims. You are better off staying away from ST or Bias ply tires. The light truck or passenger car tires rated from the proper load are best. I run 235/75-15XL you may have to go back to a 225/75-15 tire depending on your wheel wells. Your trailer is relatively light so a car tire rated for close to 2000lbs each should be plenty.

Perry
We just put 235/75-15's on a 63 Overlander & the clearances were fine. Check out the 63 Overlander Moonraker thread. There are lots of photos of what we did.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Ha! Whoops.

It's a 26' International Overlander with twin beds.
If I am reading this right, the vehicle has 4 tires on the ground and the actual loads on the tires result in a axle weight of 2329#. Apply appropriate factors, I think you need a tire with at least 1540# load carrying capacity - which in a 8-14.5 is a Load Range C (55 psi - 1985#)

So now for a to-do list:

1) Look at the tires currently on the trailer. What Load Range or Ply Rating are they? Note LR C = 6 PR

2) Look at the back of the wheel and see if it has load carrying and pressure limitations. This trailer was made before regulations required this info, but look anyway.

3) Load the trailer up with everything you can think of that you will ever carry. That includes water in all 3 tanks. Weigh the trailer - wheel by wheel, if you can. If you can't, do it at least axle by axle, then apply a 15% factor to account for the tire to tire variation. Then apply another 15% to add reserve (unused) capacity.

Is that value less than 1985#? If so, then a Load Range C will work. If not, you'll have to go to a higher Load Range.

Post back when you've made progress on the to-do list.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
San Diego , CA
I appreciate all the help!

I do not have the wherewithall at this point to tow the thing, fully loaded, to the scales. Honestly, I don't even know what "fully loaded" will look like yet. I did crawl under the trailer and look at the back of the wheels - no details.

I am considering:

15 x 6 White Modular Trailer Wheel (10-Hole), 6x5.50, 2,600 Capacity

and

15 inch Radial Super Trail Brand Trailer Tire 225/75R15

This puts my total weight rating around 10,000 lbs. I can't imagine being heavier than that - Figure 350lbs (40 gallons?) for the freshwater tank, maybe 100lbs or so for the blackwater tank, and there is no greywater tank. Couple hundred pounds of "stuff"...

I'm open to other suggestions.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia

I'm going to politely disagree with some of the posters above....

If I were going to change the wheels out from 14", I wouldn't even consider 15". I'd go straight to 16". The price difference between a 15" wheel and a 16" wheel is basically non-existent. So get 16" wheels.

If a 225 or 235 15" will fit, you can get a 16" to work.

I run 235/70-15's on mine right now; Maxxis UE-168. One of the few decent tires available in 15", but they're not that easy to find.

Better to switch to 16" and get a set of Michelin or Goodrich Commercial T/A's and be done with it.

You can find a few 15" tires out there still. But, if you are buying new wheels anyway, I would go straight to 16".

I plan to do this myself....my biggest beef is I have six of them

Best of luck,
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
There is a 15" LTX tire by Michelin.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Here is another option, it’s the Continental Vanco 2 tire. It just might be what you’re looking for. The Tire Rack has all sizes of them. They are a European designed Light Truck tire. The 225/70R15 LRD has a 2470# load capacity at 65 psi. They are speed rated at 86 MPH. They will fit on rims from 6” to 7.5” and their diameter is 27.4“. The tire rack lists their countries of origin as the Slovak Republic and Germany.

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Michelin is bringing in a small line-up of 14” European designed Light Truck tires. Some of their load capacities may be very compatible with your trailer’s requirements.

That’s just a general statement. I’m not addressing any particular poster.

Here is the Michelin advertisement web address,

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/light-truck/agilis/tire-details
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you are ever planning to upgrade to disk brakes, I would definately go with 16" rims. Otherwise 15" or 16" will work. You will have to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Perry
Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
There is a 15" LTX tire by Michelin.
yes. I use them on my trailer. But despite the name LTX they are not a LT tire. The are actually a P-metric tire.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
If you are ever planning to upgrade to disk brakes, I would definately go with 16" rims. Otherwise 15" or 16" will work. You will have to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Perry
We're running Kodiak discs with 15" wheels and Michelin LTX tires... - works great. Stops very well indeed....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Ahhh, the great tire debates. I love these!

My 63 Overlander is just under 4,000 lbs dry, just for reference.

It has 15" wheels, I ran the Goodyear Marathons the previous owner had on it for 6 years total (4 for me, 2 for the POs), with zero problems. I replaced them with Carlisle ST tires a year ago and have also had no problems with those. As always, YMMV.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
San Diego , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Ahhh, the great tire debates. I love these!
This, times a thousand.

I finally called my tire guy this morning, asked for a price on four Maxxis trailer tires. With a puzzled sound in his voice, he asked why. I told him I'd consulted the internet and collectively, they'd decided this was the only decent trailer tire. He didn't know if he could get them. Called around, then called me back and told me $150+tax per tire. But he strongly recommended the Master Track. (On the interwebs, this would be considered Chinese crap.) $411.96, out the door for four.

I don't know what to do.

edit: I would like to point out that this tire shop has 100+ Yelp reviews, each one of them five stars. This guy is not trying to get me out the door with the wrong product.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would not trust an ST rated trailer tire on my trailer. Airstreams cost too much to repair compared to an SOB trailer. I want a tire that is man rated (ie rated to not kill humans or Airstreams).

Perry