Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Question, one of my 3 year old GYM's may have something going on. The inner tread is at one level but the outer tread on both sides stands slightly higher, maybe as much as 1/8". Is this a sign of an internal problem?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I only have the original GYM on mine. But I will replace them with any other brand soon.

My Dad had failures on GYMs and totaled a really nice bass boat. Three months later on BRAND new GYMs, totaled his SHasta camper.

I have had no problems myself, but the mental image of that bass boat shattered on the highway is enough...
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
This image shows one of the original GYM ST225/75R15D tires with about 500 miles on the left beside the Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tire I replaced it with on the right. I did replace all 5 GYM tires with the Michelins. The GYM diameter is 28.3" versus the Michelin diameter of 28.9". Note that the tread with and thus the contact patch on the road are wider and larger on the Michelin tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	191309  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #44
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Switz, what did you do to modify the spare tire carrier to fit the Michelin 15 as a spare? Putting 4 new Michelins onto my Airstream was one of the first things I did - within 500 miles - after seeing that the GYM were made in China. I then tried to change the spare to a Michelin and then found out (in my own driveway) that 10 mm width difference would not allow the spare tire carrier to close. Thanks
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I used a 21" crescent wrench as a lever and put each "up" arm of the tire bracket into the handle eye and bent the arm outwards. I was too enthusiastic on the first try and had to bend them back in a little. It is a challenge to get the latch to operate, but I was able to do it. That exercise provided the opportunity to remember some old Navy phraseology.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I did nothing to modify my spare tire carrier on my 05 Safari. The same Michelin 15" tire fit fine.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #47
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Question, one of my 3 year old GYM's may have something going on. The inner tread is at one level but the outer tread on both sides stands slightly higher, maybe as much as 1/8". Is this a sign of an internal problem?

Probably, but it is also possible from your description to conclude you have a wear issue. It's not clear. A picture would help here.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Naturally, me AS is in storage so no pics available right now. I will get it done though. I appreciate everyone offering comments.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Tires - Carlisle

I wish I had read Andy's response prior to my purchase of 2 Carlisle Radial Trail, ST225/75R D/8 2-ply for our Bambi 19 foot'er. I have dealt with the owner of the tire shop for several years, and he handles severl brands. He said the Carlisle, he felt, was the best for our trailor. I would like to see if anyone else likes/dislikes Carlisle in this conversation.
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I don't mean to necessarily disparage tire dealers, but my experience over the years is that most of they guys selling tires are more interested in selling what they have in stock, and that is often what they make the most markup on.
Honestly, I think a consumer of average intelligence could spend one hour on the internet reading about tires from the various manufacturers websites, and know more about the subject than most tire salesmen/service writers.

A dealer also has at least tiny bit of vested interest in selling you something that might have you back in the shop sooner to replace it. And dealers of all sorts of products apparently "go to class" on how to blame the customer for any failure that comes into the shop. Certainly they are often right....tires run underinflated, overloaded, etc, but often I suspect that it's just an outright failure of the product, yet the dealer has a ready response to try to shift the blame to the consumer. Call me sceptical.

It certainly doesn't help matters much when the RV industry has a bad habit of fitting components ( including tires ) that are close to design limits. My experience in general in life has been that the closer I run something to it's stated design limit, the more likely a failure is going to occur. A tire rated for just 65mph is an example of that idea.
"Just say NO" to ST tires.............LT tires have solved my issues ( so far ) on the four trailers I use on a regular basis.
That's just my opinion based on my personal experience and my observation over the last 40 years of towing various things. I have enough other issues to think about without having to concentrate on whether a tire is gonna go pop for no good reason.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Having posted photo of failed Carlisle I should probably be more critical, but they are probably as good as the Goodyear's.. With wisdom of hindsight, tire that failed last month was 7 years old and that really seems to be outer edge of useful life of tire structure for ST Tires.. In addition, tire that failed was in same location as prior failure (GYM in 2006 - curb side front wheel) and I am now wondering (as I prepare to replace axles..) if that particular wheel/axle combo was out of alignment leading to more wear/side scrubbing of that tire...

Seeing the small finished size differences with Michelin LTX tires, those with higher speed rating and better structural strength look like good option if there is clearance in fender wells...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I had no wheel well clearance issues installing four fully inflated Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires on our 2013 25FB International. I did have to bend the spare wheel carrier upright arms outwards a little to get the tire to seat fully in the pocket. To be perfectly clear, I used the original Airstream factory wheels with the new tires, so there was the proper zero offset. I also have the Centramatic wheel balancers installed which does move the wheel about 1/16" or less away from the brake drum.

Lacking the strength of my 20s, getting the blasted flipping metal strap and pin in place to lock the tire carrier in the storage position was a challenge that generated a few forgotten naval phrases. I could have probably used my hydraulic jack with stand capability and saved the lingo for a more serious issue.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Carlisle

I got a note with a great amount of information that I am delving into about tires. However, I replaced my origional 2006 GYM with approx 4000 miles a couple months ago because of age and cracking on the sidewalls--tread still had the rubber nubs--no other issue). Trailer purchased a little over a year ago and had been used once, and garaged all that time. I talked to my tire dealer this morning re the Carlisle, marked 2-ply and he assured me it was equivalent to an 8-ply on other tires because of the make-up of the Carlisles. This dealer is as honest as the day is long and he does not Recommend change? Input?
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Tire Upgrade

So, after reviewing almost all of the threads. Once question:

2001 Safari 25FB- Funds not being an option. Extensive travel in South and Southwest.

What is the "ultimate" wheel/tire solution?
chriswk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #55
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
I got a note with a great amount of information that I am delving into about tires. However, I replaced my origional 2006 GYM with approx 4000 miles a couple months ago because of age and cracking on the sidewalls--tread still had the rubber nubs--no other issue). Trailer purchased a little over a year ago and had been used once, and garaged all that time. I talked to my tire dealer this morning re the Carlisle, marked 2-ply and he assured me it was equivalent to an 8-ply on other tires because of the make-up of the Carlisles. This dealer is as honest as the day is long and he does not Recommend change? Input?

Yes, there is an obsolete terminology "ply" and not only doesn't it mean want it sounds like it means, it's also obsolete for that very reason.

Tires now come in "Load Ranges" designated by letters. In the old days they used to use the term "Ply Rating" - meaning "Equivalent to X number of plies" - short to plies. Nowadays is also has no meaning because the strength of modern materials to so much strong than the old days.

For example, over the road trucks use a single steel ply for Load Range H (16 ply rating).

So look at your old tires and find the "Load Range". I recommend you move up a load range - eg: C to D or D to E - and use the higher pressure. This is to add unused load carrying capacity, which is safer.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswk View Post

2001 Safari 25FB- Funds not being an option. Extensive travel in South and Southwest.

I was sure some others would chime in here. If you mean money is no object, switch to 16" rims and go for the Michelins load range E. There is an entire thread dedicated to it you can read. If there is an "ultimate solution" tire, that would be it.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
chriswk:

There are several folks on the Airstream forum with single axle trailers. These single axle rigs actually can carry more weight per wheel than many of the twin axle Airstream trailers. You might PM (private message) Phoenix on the forum and discuss his experiences before and after going to 16" Michelins on his 19' Bambi and he is based in the Phoenix area and drives in the SouthWest summer heat.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #58
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswk View Post

One can overkill easily. The best two tires in commercial service are the LR-E MICHELIN XPS and the BRIDGESTONE r250. BFG Commercial T/A and FIRESTONE Transforce are the cheaper brand alternatives from those two premium manufacturers, respectively.

MICHELIN LTX M/S series is not used in commercial service that I am familiar with (lacks closed shoulder design, which make them not my choice; but the LTX A/S is closed shoulder), yet it is used by plenty around here (including Mr. Thomson at CAN AM, and by A/S itself) to good report.

I would use the r250 as the default choice. The heavier the TT, the more important the tire choice especially the 28' and longer tandem axle models.

High tire loadings will make ones choice for one, IMO, as cheap tires (quality) will fail sooner.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I could not see me retreading a Michelin XPS-Rib 16" load E tire or carrying the maximum tire loads. I liked the tread design on the MS/2 for driving in wet conditions to help prevent hydroplaning and it is all year rated, whereas the XPS-Rib is called a summer tire on the Michelin tire site.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
My previous comments from another thread appear below.

==========

We have Michelin XPS Ribs (225/75x16). We towed our 19-foot Bambi in subfreezing weather (around +5 degrees F) in a blinding snowstorm; roadway was new packed snow over ice. I did not notice any unusual loss of traction. However, our tow vehicle didn't have much traction, either. At least our Bambi didn't try to come around our Tundra during a panic stop on the freeway when we swerved to avoid a car that spun out and came across our bow.

I wouldn't install these on our tow vehicle in the winter, but they worked fine on our Bambi in slick conditions.

==========

As I have previously stated, XPS Ribs are probably overkill for most Airstreams. However, our Bambi has 4,400 pounds riding on two tires (single axle), which is a higher tire load than most heavier Airstreams that have two or three axles.

I bought the more expensive (+$85/tire) XPS Ribs as insurance against blowouts, because three out of five ST tires had previously failed on our Bambi. While tire reviews were a big influence, the actual tire weight is what tipped the final buying decision.

The XPS Rib weighs 49 pounds per tire, versus 38 pounds for the Michelin LTX M/S2 (LT, LR-E); and the Rib's extra weight comes from steel sidewalls. (The XPS Rib and LTX M/S2 both have three steel belts.)

Note: For reference the "P" (passenger car) LTX M/S2 in size 235/75x15 weighs 31 pounds, has two steel belts, and is rated to carry about 700 pounds less per tire than those described above.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote