Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Wow, these things go round & round!
Yes, they do. And some of them go round and round for a short period of time, then they go pop.

What's the debate ? Stop buying cheap products made in a place that has no concept of worker safety, environmental protection, or most important, quality control.

Buy a good product, that is designed, engineered and tested to have sufficient reserve capacity as to load and speed capability, manufactured where the management has a good handle on what happens in the factory.

Then go camping. And enjoy cold beer in the shade of the awning.
__________________

__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,135
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

Yes, they do. And some of them go round and round for a short period of time, then they go pop.

What's the debate ? Stop buying cheap products made in a place that has no concept of worker safety, environmental protection, or most important, quality control.

Buy a good product, that is designed, engineered and tested to have sufficient reserve capacity as to load and speed capability, manufactured where the management has a good handle on what happens in the factory.

Then go camping. And enjoy cold beer in the shade of the awning.
And where would that be?
__________________

__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
bigmikeeb
 
bigmikeeb's Avatar
 
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2013 27' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 27
Blog Entries: 1
I to have a 2013 FC and the first thing I did when I got it home was change to 16" LT's. Yes, they fit just fine.....
__________________
bigmikeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Wow, these things go round & round!
Hi, yes, most tires do.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
And where would that be?
Hi, yes, where would that be? So far my Chinese Goodyear Marathons have held together, where my Canadian Goodyear Marathons had failed. [two with sideway bubbles and two, seven year old ones, started to separate]
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, yes, where would that be? So far my Chinese Goodyear Marathons have held together, where my Canadian Goodyear Marathons had failed. [two with sideway bubbles and two, seven year old ones, started to separate]
See my post regarding my comment about "sufficient reserve capacity as to load and speed rating".

All I can say is that my personal experience mirrors that of virtually every person reporting on this forum who switched to LT tires of "sufficient load capacity and speed rating reserve", that it eliminated the problems.

Our horse trailers, equipment trailer and travel trailer have ( knock wood ) have not failed any LT tires.
Can't say the same about ST tires, and I have been on more than one local "emergency call" when one of our clients has ended up at the side of the road, with a blown ST tire on their own horse trailer.

Hey, makes no diff to me....any of all y'all ( that's redneck plural of y'all ) that wants to keep running cheap charlie ST tires.....knock yourself out. It keeps the tire store boys in business, especially this time of year, and from several account on here, it also keeps A/S service in business fixing damaged bodywork.

As my dear old now long gone Dad used to say: "son, there is a difference between price and value. Choose wisely."
__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,135
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Hi, yes, where would that be? So far my Chinese Goodyear Marathons have held together, where my Canadian Goodyear Marathons had failed. [two with sideway bubbles and two, seven year old ones, started to separate]
Yep, mine too Chinese Marathons working just fine. Previous owner had blowouts with truck tires on the trailer, so I am happy staying with tires built for travel trailers. I run with proper pressure and do not go over 60 mph. I bet many of the people with blow outs cannot say that.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post

Yep, mine too Chinese Marathons working just fine. Previous owner had blowouts with truck tires on the trailer, so I am happy staying with tires built for travel trailers. I run with proper pressure and do not go over 60 mph. I bet many of the people with blow outs cannot say that.
I agree. 4@2540=10,160 lbs capacity for a max trailer weight of 7700 lbs. currently fully loaded it's 6800 lbs. I set the cruise at 62, sometimes lower, never above. Knock wood, good so far...
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
 
Mike91208's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Yep, mine too Chinese Marathons working just fine...I am happy staying with tires built for travel trailers. I run with proper pressure and do not go over 60 mph. I bet many of the people with blow outs cannot say that.
x2!
__________________
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I agree. 4@2540=10,160 lbs capacity for a max trailer weight of 7700 lbs. currently fully loaded it's 6800 lbs. I set the cruise at 62, sometimes lower, never above. Knock wood, good so far...
ok, so let's see, 62 mph of 65 mph is, uh.... ( ciphering here.....) 95%.
Not a great deal of reserve capacity, "in my book".

And that is the crux of why I am throwing in on this whole "debate". There is more than one side to be told here. And hey, I'm happy for you guys that you have not failed your ST tires. But any fair observer would say that just looking around this one marque specific website, we see many reports of failed ST tires, most of which, either coincidentally or not, come from a certain country.
Search this same marque specific forum, and how many complaints do we see regarding failed LT tires ?

I'm just sayin'...... my personal experience mirrors the idea of more reliable service from LT tires, vs ST tires.

Honest truth guys, I wish you all safe and trouble free travels, no matter what tire you choose.

And that's all I will say on it, 'cuz I reckon we've all made our points.
__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
ok, so let's see, 62 mph of 65 mph is, uh.... ( ciphering here.....) 95%.
Not a great deal of reserve capacity, "in my book".

And that is the crux of why I am throwing in on this whole "debate". There is more than one side to be told here. And hey, I'm happy for you guys that you have not failed your ST tires. But any fair observer would say that just looking around this one marque specific website, we see many reports of failed ST tires, most of which, either coincidentally or not, come from a certain country.
Search this same marque specific forum, and how many complaints do we see regarding failed LT tires ?

I'm just sayin'...... my personal experience mirrors the idea of more reliable service from LT tires, vs ST tires.

Honest truth guys, I wish you all safe and trouble free travels, no matter what tire you choose.

And that's all I will say on it, 'cuz I reckon we've all made our points.
I appreciate your view. Truly. I won't lie, I worry about it with everything I've read here :-)

Yes, speed is close to (but always under) max. Weight is way under (67%). I check pressure and temp (cheap radio shack IR gauge) as well as bump inspection. Admittedly, I'm a rookie so I could be all wet here. Will keep an eye on it.
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
Roadtoaster's Avatar
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 807
One of my AS friends sent me an email saying I was being cheap not buying the 16's. Maybe, but if a 15" LT has the capacity I need, do I really need to increase the size? Strong feelings on both sides of the discussion, ST vs LT. I'm still listening.
__________________
Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
 
VTSafari's Avatar
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Monkton , Vermont
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 68
All you ST fans I have some GYM tires with lots of tread coming off shortly....do I have any offers?
__________________
Bill
2007 Safari FB SE LS
2012 Ram 1500 4x4 extended cab
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,135
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSafari View Post
All you ST fans I have some GYM tires with lots of tread coming off shortly....do I have any offers?
Are you willing to write me a check for new tires? That is the only offer I am interested in.
__________________

__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.