Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Feel free to dive in please.

Looking at the chart, my interpretation is: take the weight of your loaded AS and divide it by the number of tires (i.e 4 for 30 Classic and 6 for 34 Classic) = X load. Look at your tire size (example LT225/75/16) line on the chart and trace it to the right till you see your X load point or approximate. Now trace that point up till you see the PSI inflation #.

Example: My 30 Ft Classic fully loaded per Cat scale = 9071 Lb
30 Ft Classic tires = 4
Load per tire assuming AS is balanced 9071/4 = 2268 LB
On the Chart
With LTX 225/75/16 my 2268 LB load per tire (single)falls on 65 psi (2335 load point)
With ST 225/75/15, my 2268 LB load per tire (single) falls on 55 psi (2270 load point).

BUT if I load my 30 Ft Classic to the max of 10,000 Lb (load per tire= 2500), then:

LXT 225/75/16 will rise to 75 psi (2560 load point) and,
ST 225/75/15 will rise to 65 psi (2540 load point)

Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Lots of traffic that the recommended tire pressure for trailer tires is the maximum pressure as listed on the sidewall. This is to keep the sidewalls stiff to deal with the lateral forces during sharp turns - especially on tandom trailers.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think we've all seen these lateral forces working on our tandem axle tires when parking the 'stream. I would expect it in crosswinds and when passed by semi's on the freeway, so its also a stability issue.

Beside benefitting from maximum load capacity, that would be more reason to use the Airstream recommended 80 psi.

doug k
Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think we've all seen these lateral forces working on our tandem axle tires when parking the 'stream. I would expect it in crosswinds and when passed by semi's on the freeway, so its also a stability issue.

Beside benefitting from maximum load capacity, that would be more reason to use the Airstream recommended 80 psi.

doug k
Sooner or later, one of the "My stream's gotta have a soft ride" guys will find this thread. That's when the fun starts.

Ken
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ken, that crossed my mind too and I suppose we're setting up for another dogfight over it. All the more reason to use the Airstream recommended pressure. When the sweat and blood begin to fly, we at least know we're doing what the mfg tells us to.

doug k
Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #20
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
A word of caution:

Tires aren't usually loaded evenly. There can be side to side differences and front to rear differences. Any calculation that uses the average is sure to have at least one tire overloaded - unless a factor is included to compensate.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Well, encouraged by your post and others, here goes - I have Les Schwab is putting 16" Michelins LXTs on my 23' International. We are off to Mexico again this winter and I dont want any trouble on the Interstates nor the Mexican back roads.

Lotsa bucks though ...

:-)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Many of the upper echelon Light Truck (LT) tire manufacturers have rewritten numerous sections of their Standard Limited Warranty’s. That is the type of warranty normally issued for tires installed on RV trailer axles or any other vehicle that has no means to account for the tire’s actual mileage.

After reading a number of those warranties it becomes clear that misuse/misapplication is going to cause a lot of folks to rethink their possibilities when selecting replacement tires that are different from the Original Equipment (OE) tires.

Tire retailers take advantage of customers not providing a vehicle when replacing their tires. Customers can provide themselves with protection from such retailers by providing them with the information form their vehicle’s tire placard, including the VIN. When asked to put such information on the bill of sale for your replacement tires the retailer would have to commit fraud if they haven’t provided you with the correct tires for fitment onto the unit you have provided the information for.

A call to the technical information desk of one of our popular tire manufacturers confirms, that replacing Special Trailer (ST) tires with LT tires on a vehicle with OE ST tires, is considered a misapplication and will void any warranty coverage for that particular application of the LT tires.

BlackAces
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Many of the upper echelon Light Truck (LT) tire manufacturers have rewritten numerous sections of their Standard Limited Warranty’s. That is the type of warranty normally issued for tires installed on RV trailer axles or any other vehicle that has no means to account for the tire’s actual mileage.

After reading a number of those warranties it becomes clear that misuse/misapplication is going to cause a lot of folks to rethink their possibilities when selecting replacement tires that are different from the Original Equipment (OE) tires.

Tire retailers take advantage of customers not providing a vehicle when replacing their tires. Customers can provide themselves with protection from such retailers by providing them with the information form their vehicle’s tire placard, including the VIN. When asked to put such information on the bill of sale for your replacement tires the retailer would have to commit fraud if they haven’t provided you with the correct tires for fitment onto the unit you have provided the information for.

A call to the technical information desk of one of our popular tire manufacturers confirms, that replacing Special Trailer (ST) tires with LT tires on a vehicle with OE ST tires, is considered a misapplication and will void any warranty coverage for that particular application of the LT tires.

BlackAces
This is not new information. It has been posted and discussed more than once before.

ST tires are manufactured to less stringent standards than any tire that is made for any passenger carrying vehicle. This includes passenger cars and trucks. It has been shown, by many posted examples of failed tires, that ST tires have a much higher failure rate than LT tires when used in trailer service.

Every tire warranty that I have read refers to prorated tire replacement for a tire failure. That is not what I am concerned about. A catastrophic failure of a tire on an Airstream trailer nearly always causes extensive collateral damage. This is very expensive to have repaired and I am willing to bet, if you want any reimbursement for that damage from the tire manufacturer, you will need to get a lawyer involved.

Therefore I will elect to use the most reliable tire available in order to have the greatest chance of avoiding catastrophic tire failure and the ensuing loss of time and money. I am not concerned if ABC tire company is going to partially pay for a tire replacement. That is a drop in the bucket compared to having the trailer repaired.

When I had Michelin LT tires installed on my trailer, I had to sign a statement acknowledging that they were not the same as the tires that came on the trailer. I had no problem with that.

Ken
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ken, agreed. The least of my concerns was pro-rated tire replacement when I put the 16" wheels/Michelins on my trailer.

My issue is the high failure rate of 15" GYM ST tires taking out the side of my trailer. Sure they may replace the GYM (pro-rated), but the extensive trailer damage and all that goes with it are my concerns.

doug k
Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
BlackAces

One has to stop and think fro a second.

Do I want to run the predictable risk of a catastrophic failure on the road just to comply with some lawyers weasel words in a warranty? Yes American industries are going out of their ways to limit everything they can that effects the bottom line. On the other hand I have to protect myself and my family. As long as the police are not stopping me and checking to see if I am running politically correct tires on my trailer I will continue to do what I believe is best for my needs.

While I might lose a warranty claim by using a higher rated tire on my trailer the likely hood of a failure from such use is so much less likely that I will take that chance.

I have run Michelin LTs for years. The current set is will beyond the so called 5 years replacement recommended by those who want to sell tires but the ware is almost negligible with over 50,000 mile on them. The only ware is to the one that was on an axle that was out of alinement, scuffing the inside.

If one were interested in noting the mileage on their trailer tires this is an effective way to keep track.

Oh yes I also inflate these tires at 45 lbs., 10lbs above the industry recommended inflation pressure for them carrying my load just in case I have to run in on 5 tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	173603  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
For those of us with more than one axle.

Decreasing the pressure from the maximum side wall rated pressure sounds like a great idea with four tires to soften the ride. A sudden GYM blowout (just to pick one brand with a spotty reliability history) and the tire load increases instantly to perhaps more than 150% of the rated load for the remaining tire.

Would the full rated pressure enable the remaining tire to have a chance to carry the load to a safe stop better than it has less pressure?

Your thoughts.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
switz, one more good reason to inflate to or near maximum sidewall pressure. No good reason not to.

doug k
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
For those of us with more than one axle.

Decreasing the pressure from the maximum side wall rated pressure sounds like a great idea with four tires to soften the ride. A sudden GYM blowout (just to pick one brand with a spotty reliability history) and the tire load increases instantly to perhaps more than 150% of the rated load for the remaining tire.

Would the full rated pressure enable the remaining tire to have a chance to carry the load to a safe stop better than it has less pressure?

Your thoughts.
My thoughts:

Did you read my post #18?

There are two schools of thought and my opinion is they will never reconcile their differences.

One school that I belong to says that safety should be the first concern. A belief I hold, that I feel is (factually based) is that the maximum safety is derived at the maximum rated pressure.

The other school says that one should operate at the minimum pressure they can justify with the charts. They do this trying to prevent having to replace a rivet once in a while. If their fears are justifiable, I put more emphasis on my fear of a tire failure.

"Would the full rated pressure enable the remaining tire to have a chance to carry the load to a safe stop better than it has less pressure?"

The answer to this question is obviously - YES.

Ken