Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Another ST Tire Recall

Quote:
NHTSA Campaign ID Number : 14T015

Synopsis : Dynamic Tire Corp. (Dynamic) is recalling certain Towmax STR tires, size ST225/75 R15 manufactured June 15, 2014, to October 14, 2014. The affected tires may have the Incorrect Load Capacity and Inflation Pressure Stampings. Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 119, "New Pneumatic Tires for Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars." The misinformation on the label could lead a driver to overinflate the tires. Tire overinflation may increase the risk of a tire failure which can increase the risk of a crash. Dynamic will notify owners, and dealers will replace all eligible tires, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 10, 2014. Owners may contact Dynamic customer service at 1-905-595-3593.
If you haven't already.. now's a good time to change over to LT
Old 12-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just so everyone knows, this is about the words on the sidewall of the tire, not anything structural. It's about the markings complying with the regulations.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Yeah, noticed that.
New and creative way to recall defective equipment.

I can see the food industry jumping on board...
"Tyson chicken is recalling 5,000 units of tenderloin cuts. They're completely fine, except for the 'best by date'."
Old 12-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
In the early 90's I spent some time working part time at a micro brewery in Maine. To illustrate how silly and picky government regulations can be the BATF demanded a recall of 5000 bottles because the incorrect color was used on the labels. Labeling is highly regulated in the commercial world. Overall cost to the company was over $10k. The beer was perfect just the wrong shade of red from the printers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . last year my 20" Michelins on the TV were recalled....it happens...... just sayin', Craig
Old 12-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
"... They're completely fine, except for the 'best by date'"

Love that example as most people don't know it only means it tastes the same as when it was first put into the packaging and it is not an expiration date. The actual expiration date appears no where on the packaging.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . last year my 20" Michelins on the TV were recalled....it happens...... just sayin', Craig
True.
But, I've never had a failure on any tire except ST's (six tread seps)
Old 12-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
LT tires have recalls too & for more than incorrect sidewall date.

LT tires also separate - Michelins for our `88 VW Vanagon Westy - 4x over the years!

Cheap tires for trailers, trucks/LTs & trailers/STs are lower quality & you take your chances.

So boondockdad - were you running top quality name brand STs like Maxxis or Michelin with your 6 seps?
... or the cheapo ones form Camping World etc.?

And were you usually running at speeds over 65 mph? - that's the ST stated rating max.

And how old were they when they separated? ....5yrs or older?
... & did you inspect them before & during the trips?

You folks with the ST vs LT bugaboo are so far off base it's not funny!

There is NOTHING inherently wrong with ST tires when a quality brand is purchased, load appropriate to your TT, & used within specs!

LT tires have tread compounds & tread patterns made for traction, whereas ST have compounds & tread patterns to minimize rolling resistance - which you want when tugging something along - NOT traction.

ST tires have stiffer sidewall designs to minimize flex & reduce heat build-up therefrom, whereas LT have softer more flexible sidewalls for better handling on a steerable vehicle (TT just follow along - not steer).

The softer sidewalls & "stickier" treads/compounds of LT tires can actually make them run hotter & degenerate faster than the proper ST tires when used on a TT - causing faster degeneration - so it could be much worst to use LTs!

ST tires are NOT some sort of rejects from the passenger & LT truck lines, but tires specifically designed for trailers - period. Within that & all ranges, you'll have good, bad & better tires & makers.

ALL tires wear out from tread wear, rubber compound degeneration & heat degeneration over time - both age & miles & what sort of duty - on or off road, rough roads, etc.

IMHO you LT folks are just that & completely off base in advising people to use the wrong design & spec tires on their TTs - rather than a good quality ST product within it's use & maintenance specs.

My advice & that of true tire experts for ST tires:
- proper inflation is usually to the max on the sidewall
- tire rating per wheel or axle/2 for your TTW
- replace every 5 years, sooner if cracking or other degeneration shows
- max 65 mph - CA & many states limit towing to 55 mph
- check the feedback history of the tires & stick with known brands
- keep track of & inspect/check ALL of your TV & TT tires before, during & after trips
- make sure the wheels/axles are properly aligned, wheel bearing packed & in good shape, brakes in good order & properly adjusted, suspension in good order & no wheels well/body rubbing
* don't use the wrong tires for the wrong application
- research ST tires info, specs & design on the reputable tire companies' & sellers' websites

Hey wait, lets start using racing tires on our TTs - since they're made for high speed .... NOT!

Happy Holidays!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Tom T, I couldn't agree more! Well said and if I may add if you are unfortunate enough to be in an accident with the incorrect tires on your TT, you may not get your claim paid. I tell people all the time with ST's to drive under 65 and don't be complacent. Even tire monitors create complacency.
Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I haven't seen any ST tires to brag about, they are all made in China,there are no china tires on my tv. On my big truck they don't make trailer tires, I run steer tires on my trailer.When my ST tires are gone ,they will be replaced with 16" LT tires, the new rims are in my shop.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Tom, while every thing you note in your post makes sense in my head, we have to look at real life and what many of us have experienced. I've used Goodyear Marathons and Maxxis tires and have experience belt related failures. I follow all the steps and yet have had failures at the end of year 3 and beginning of year 4 of use. Those here on the forum using LT tires continue to report good experiences.

My own feeling is that asking for 5 years of life on a heavy trailer like my slide out is pushing the limits of this tire design. Trailer manufacturers have taken notice and I've noticed that some of the big 5th wheels at the local RV show are now sporting LTs.

The reality is that the LT tire might be better suited to those who cannot follow the recommendations that you listed to the letter, for ST tire use.

The ongoing ST vs LT tire issue will become clearer as we see more LT's show up over time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
religion, politics, and ST tires
it never gets old

Wheel Upgrade | Silver Travel

Why I Replaced our ST Tires with LT | Silver Travel

To sum up:

I didn't know Michelin made ST. News to me.. but, our seperations happened with Goodyear Marathons. Not sure if you classify those as cheap "camping world" product. They're Airstream OEM, afterall.

ALWAYS <65mph

Oldest failed tire was 2 years out from manufacture stamp.

TPMS, regular inspections, along with CAT scale checks and tongue weight checks with my Sherline. I'm very particular about my rigs maintenance.

When somebody starts going on about rubber compounds, rolling resistance, and mu, my eyes glaze over. I'm no tire engineer.

All I need to know is I'm on my same (4) Michelin LT's, whereas after the same mileage I'd gone thru (3) GYM's catastrophically failing.

Peace of mind.
It's worth every penny.

PS. I'm curious as to why someone might think running non-ST tires on a trailer would invalidate your insurance coverage.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
As a new airstreamer I am confused. Only had it a month and tires are starting to make me nervous. Does anyone make a good ST tire? What I am hearing is no, but don't understand why because their is so many travel trailers, campers, boats, etc. on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Alright, what about the 10 ply Maxxis tires? They are officially ST tires, but much heavier duty, right? Are they better than the standard 6 ply STs?
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
there's A LOT of info here on the forums on this topic.. here's a few:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...sa-107740.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-28293.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...oll-76867.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ion-34105.html
Old 12-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron A View Post
As a new airstreamer I am confused. Only had it a month and tires are starting to make me nervous. Does anyone make a good ST tire? What I am hearing is no, but don't understand why because their is so many travel trailers, campers, boats, etc. on the road.

Ron, I may not be a good example, but I have owned to date 3 Airstreams using only the GYM's supplied. A 19, a 20 and now a 25.
I always thought the 20 was close to the maximum it should be carrying, and it is the only one I had a problem tire with after about 30,000 km however I did hit a large pothole which was big enough to break a shock mount, so I don't totally blame the tire.
But, I follow the guidelines. I always check tire pressures cold each day. I never go over 65 mph, and I don't overload the trailer.
This doesn't mean that nothing will ever happen, but I'm not going to run out and buy LT tires because it seems to be the latest craze.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Round and round and round we go.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Thank you George. I have put about 600 miles on the tires. Being a little bit of a safety nut I usually always check tire pressured and careful not exceed the 65 mph speed rating. My normal speed has been averaging between 60 and 65.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Just so everyone knows, this is about the words on the sidewall of the tire, not anything structural. It's about the markings complying with the regulations.
Yes, all st tires are mislabeled, they should be 50% derated.
Better yet, just throw them on the garbage pile.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #20
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
Alright, what about the 10 ply Maxxis tires? They are officially ST tires, but much heavier duty, right? Are they better than the standard 6 ply STs?
Yes, each step 6, 8, 10 ply etc. are heavier duty for heavier load rating & more resistance to side thrust on sidewalls.

For example, I'm using the 8 ply Maxxis ST225/75R15 tires on our restored 1960 (`61 MY) Avion T20 single axle 20'-6" L. 2850# mfgr base TW & probably 3000-3500# wet & loaded. Original `60's Avion specs were for 8 ply bias trailer tires of the day, which had even stiffer sidewalls than the modern radials used today - either ST or LT or passenger cars types.

New tires in July 2012 & date coded for June 2012 mfgr. were put on when we bought this trailer, with about 1000 mi. in July-Dec./12, then about 1500-2000mi/yr 2013 & `14, no problems to date at all, no deterioration/cracking & minimal air loss while sitting between trips - & still using the 1960's steel 6-lug wheels (not split rims, but a period solid wheel upgrade).

That's only at about 5000+/- miles over 2.5 years, & they'll be at the 3 year mark where you need to start looking at them more closely & some experts recommend changing at 3 years - rather than 5 for "cheap" insurance.

Beyond the ply ratings, the weight rating should be correct for your TT's GVWR divided by the # of wheels. IIRC our tires are 2850# rated, so good for a much heavier TT.

I could've used 6 ply Maxxis by the weight rating, but they were unavailable, so I went up next level to 8.

IMHO if it's a choice between spending your tire money to grossly over buy the tires to an extreme - say for me to go to 10 ply - vs. replacing them sooner at every 3 years, instead of 5 - then I'd choose the more frequent replacements. Also if the tire gets to be too stiff & hard riding for the TT's weight, then I'd think that you could do more damage with that as well.

Best!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote