Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Alcoa Rim Capacity

Considering going to Load range E tires on my 2002 Classic with these rims. Does anyone know the max inflation capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alcoa Wheels.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	183060  
Bigdaddy_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Might be stamped on the back side of the wheel.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Checked the inside of all 4 last week and no markings.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Same wheels on our Classic...

Bob
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_2 View Post
Checked the inside of all 4 last week and no markings.
Probably on the rim, inside, under the tire then.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Bob,

Thanks. That is the wheel.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have those wheels on our trailer - 2200# rating.

The original GVW on our trailer was 8700 pounds so the wheel rating is marginally ok for that GVW - but when I did some investigating, I found that during the production year AS changed the GVW to 10,000 #.

Examination of our axles revealed that the number "5000" was painted on them,

I happened to have the trailer at Jackson Centre a couple of years ago and they confirmed my trailer does have 5000 pound axles - they put a new sticker on the trailer now showing a 10,000# GVW. (Theroretically now over the capacity of the rims!)

I don't really load the trailer up much so am not really concerned, but at some point may upgrade the rims.

Here is a scary part!

Not long after i bought the trailer used (about 5 years ago) I decided to polish the rims.

When doing so, I found circumferential cracks on just about all the spokes where the spoke meets the rim on both wheels on the back axle!

I contacted Alcoa and sent pictures, and even though I was not the original purchaser and the wheels were no longer in production, they agreed to replace the two cracked rims. I couldn't get a straight answer from them as to whether or not this defect was common on this size and design of rim!

I was initially hopeful they would not be able to find any replacements so that I could maybe get a set of heavier rims, but they did find two brand new exact duplicates at a dealer in Texas and I now have them on our trailer. The cracked rims were returned to Alcoa at their request.

You can be sure I have watched all four rims very closely in this area to ensure no further problems - some of the cracks were at least an inch long, in some cases progressing in to meet each other from both sides of a spoke!

It is possible that the original owner may have overloaded the trailer - I have no way of knowing this. But the trailer did have a 2" hitch receiver on the rear when i bought it and I have no idea what the owner was using it for! (Hitch since removed by me!)

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I have those wheels on our trailer - 2200# rating.

The original GVW on our trailer was 8700 pounds so the wheel rating is marginally ok for that GVW - but when I did some investigating, I found that during the production year AS changed the GVW to 10,000 #.

Examination of our axles revealed that the number "5000" was painted on them,

I happened to have the trailer at Jackson Centre a couple of years ago and they confirmed my trailer does have 5000 pound axles - they put a new sticker on the trailer now showing a 10,000# GVW. (Theroretically now over the capacity of the rims!)

I don't really load the trailer up much so am not really concerned, but at some point may upgrade the rims.

Here is a scary part!

Not long after i bought the trailer used (about 5 years ago) I decided to polish the rims.

When doing so, I found circumferential cracks on just about all the spokes where the spoke meets the rim on both wheels on the back axle!

I contacted Alcoa and sent pictures, and even though I was not the original purchaser and the wheels were no longer in production, they agreed to replace the two cracked rims. I couldn't get a straight answer from them as to whether or not this defect was common on this size and design of rim!

I was initially hopeful they would not be able to find any replacements so that I could maybe get a set of heavier rims, but they did find two brand new exact duplicates at a dealer in Texas and I now have them on our trailer. The cracked rims were returned to Alcoa at their request.

You can be sure I have watched all four rims very closely in this area to ensure no further problems - some of the cracks were at least an inch long, in some cases progressing in to meet each other from both sides of a spoke!

It is possible that the original owner may have overloaded the trailer - I have no way of knowing this. But the trailer did have a 2" hitch receiver on the rear when i bought it and I have no idea what the owner was using it for! (Hitch since removed by me!)
Axle sizes may differ from your trailer’s certified GAWR. The only figure used by the vehicle manufacturer to determine Original Equipment (OE) tire/rim fitment is the GAWR depicted on the trailer’s certification label. It is quite common for vehicle manufacturers to select larger load bearing axles then actually needed and then derate them to achieve the desired GVWR for that particular vehicle.

The vehicle manufacturer or their authorized representative (s) are the only ones allowed to change the information on a vehicle’s certification label.

Government safety regulations are very dynamic. Meaning, you are most likely grandfathered until you make changes. Then you must use the newest regulation for the equipment you are changing.

There are numerous regulation differences with trailers over or under 10,000 lbs. I doubt very seriously that a vehicle manufacturer would allow a trailer originally designed and certified under 10K to be recertified over 10K.

Maybe a closer examination of your trailer’s original certification label is in order.
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yep, look on the wheel, that is what I was told to do when I first bought my AS and called Jackson Center. Different wheels have different max psi ratings. My Safari wheels (Chinese mags) max out for load range D tires I was told. The alcoa wheels apparently max out at a higher psi as per the picture. I would still look for the info on a wheel.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post

Maybe a closer examination of your trailer’s original certification label is in order.
Well, in summary, I had found out from AS info that on our model and year of trailer, AS changed the GVW during the production run.

Our trailer's certification label showed our trailer as having the lower GVW, yet when I looked at the axles, they seemed to me to be of the higher rating, so I wondered if there had been some screw up during initial labeling, or if not, then perhaps the first owner had changed axles. (seemed unlikely as the trailer was only a couple of years old when I bought it. )

When I happened to be at JC for other reasons I asked them if they could look at the trailer for me and clarify the situation for me while they were doing other work on the trailer. IE did I indeed have higher rated axles and was my certification label correct

They did check, and when I picked up the trailer, I found they wound up putting a new label on the trailer showing the higher axle rating and GVW figure.

Strangely they also left the old label in place as well! They told me they left it on because the old label was riveted, whereas the labels they now use are just stick on labels.

I wondered if I should go to the local license authorities to have things changed on my ownership papers but have not done so.

My guess is they would probably want a letter from AS with all the associated complexities for me to deal with!

I might even wind up just removing the higher rated sticker AS put on, and just considering it to be a trailer on which someone has retrofitted higher rated axles! Probably the simplest thing to do. The old certification label with ths lower GVW matching my ownership papers would of course be left in place

All a bit confusing, but at least I was able to confirm through JC that I do have the higher rated axles as I suspected !

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

All a bit confusing, but at least I was able to confirm through JC that I do have the higher rated axles as I suspected !

Brian
I may have added to the confusion by not being more specific.

Those 5000# axles may very well be the Original Equipment axles. Vehicle - in this case a trailer - manufacturers are clearly responsible for the information provided on the certification label. They have the approval from the regulating authority to derate axle loads as they see fit. Therefore, the tire/rim fitment requirements are driven by a single figure. That’s the trailer’s certified GAWR. In your case that information can be found in paragraph S4.2.2.1 in the reference below.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.110
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
I may have added to the confusion by not being more specific.

Those 5000# axles may very well be the Original Equipment axles. Vehicle - in this case a trailer - manufacturers are clearly responsible for the information provided on the certification label. They have the approval from the regulating authority to derate axle loads as they see fit. Therefore, the tire/rim fitment requirements are driven by a single figure. That’s the trailer’s certified GAWR. In your case that information can be found in paragraph S4.2.2.1 in the reference below.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.110

Lot of info there! Thanks!

I think the main things that are wrong with what I now have on my trailer are:

- two conflicting certification labels from the manufacturer - clearly one should come off!

- I can't imagine it is right to have a setup where the axle rating is shown as 5000# each, the GVW is shown as 10,000#, yet the max capacity of the rims is 8800# (4 x 2200) !

Seems to me AS should not really have put that second sticker on for this reason and unless I move to higher rated rims, I probably should not have that sticker on the trailer!

Incidentally, the last time I changed tires, I moved up to an "E" rated tire simply because I felt it might give me an improved margin of safety (not sure if that is really true or not!)

At that time, I did check the pressure rating of the rims and ensured there would be no problem from that standpoint. I run the tires at 60-65psi and the rims are good for something like 95 as I recall.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
I have 1971 29ft ambassador what axels would I need?
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote