Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Air compressors?

What is the best portable air compressor to keep in the truck for my 2004 Bambi?While in Euerka I had a low tire nothing serious,but could not find air in the entire town.Was told yep everybody seems to need the same part.Now that I'm back home I relized I have yet came across another (Newbie) area.Input PLEASE???
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I purchased a Husky at Home Depot for something like $80 ... it has a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank ... very quiet ... it can be regulated up to 110 psi.

I keep it in the box it came in ... nice and secure in the back of the truck.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Air Compressor

I checked home depot web site & came up with a Husky Easy Air To Go.It is a 1.75 gal. 135psi.Is this the model your refreing too?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
12 volt tire inflators

Let me offer my two cents here, based upon experience. When you're out on the road, you may instead want a 12 volt tire inflator, not really the compressor and tank. We bring one with us camping and it works pretty good.

The down side is that it will take a while to fill up a camper tire. However the upsides are huge: You can fill that tire, while on the side of the road, instead of having to find a 110 outlet. It just plugs into any 12 volt accessory outlet, like those in your car. Do the new coaches have this kind of plug too?

You can also use it to inflate bike tires, rubber dinghies and sports balls.

This is one.
This the one we have.

We HAVE used this to inflate the Airstream tires, so I can tell you that it does work and takes up a lot less space than a full blown compressor. One last thing: the consensus seems to be that these are great for on the road emergencies, but not for home use, since they take a while and can heat up.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Buy two...

Why not buy a small 110v compressor for use at home, and a 12v unit to keep in the tow vehicle? If you are handy, you can buy a tire plug kit, and plug a hole, or remove a nail, and make a temporary repair beside the road. You can then be on your way to your next camping spot, where you can get the tire permanently repaired at your leisure. I know from experience that a tire repair shop will not be open when you need one... A plug kit consists of a reamer, a plug installing tool, and a handful of plugs. It should cost around $10-15, and is much cheaper than a tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Let me offer my two cents here, based upon experience. When you're out on the road, you may instead want a 12 volt tire inflator, not really the compressor and tank. We bring one with us camping and it works pretty good.

The down side is that it will take a while to fill up a camper tire. However the upsides are huge: You can fill that tire, while on the side of the road, instead of having to find a 110 outlet. It just plugs into any 12 volt accessory outlet, like those in your car. Do the new coaches have this kind of plug too?

You can also use it to inflate bike tires, rubber dinghies and sports balls.

This is one.
This the one we have.

We HAVE used this to inflate the Airstream tires, so I can tell you that it does work and takes up a lot less space than a full blown compressor. One last thing: the consensus seems to be that these are great for on the road emergencies, but not for home use, since they take a while and can heat up.

John
Old 07-31-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tire plugs

Thank you for the feed back all.Terry about this plugging idea,is this done with flat tire on trailer?If so I think this is another thing to throw in the tool box.Maybe I should practice plugging an Old Tire first.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia
Thank you for the feed back all.Terry about this plugging idea,is this done with flat tire on trailer?If so I think this is another thing to throw in the tool box.Maybe I should practice plugging an Old Tire first.
Yes, it is done while the tire is still mounted on the trailer, and it would be a good idea to try your hand at plugging a tire at least once.
Reader's Digest version of instructions:
1- Inflate tire to around 30-40 psi
2- orient tire so the nail or hole is accessible.
3-ream hole with supplied reamer, so a plug will fit
4- install plug by shoving it into the hole with the installation tool, twist the tool like screwing in a light bulb, and pull tool out.
5- reinflate tire to preferred pressure, and drive on to destination, or a nearby tire store, if there is one open.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I'm guessing you folks do not carry a spare tire?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

husky compressor

call it overkill but I figure if you can hump a generator around in the tv what's another 10-15 lbs for a Husky compressor. Nice thing about having it, you seem to run out of excuses to check the pressure in the tires on the tv and trailer. And my tires never seem to go flat!!!!! it's the old first rule of the woods, better to have and not need than need and not have. I guess you can get carried away with stuff but like I said, if you have a generator might as well get the comp.
flsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Air Compressor

Have a spare tire.But if the tire is just low for me it would be alot easier and faster to just top off the air until I get somewhere I can fix it.Plugs sound like a great thing to have on hand since I never came across them.4'11 &115lbs changing a tire is a slow process compared to using an air compressor.Now I just need to find out more about them.Thanks for the input.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
I'm guessing you folks do not carry a spare tire?
Umm, I carry a spare, but it is easier to either air up a tire, or plug it. I can then be on my way, and save the spare for more serious issues, such as a blowout, or tread separation. I have had both, along with a nail causing a slow leak, all in one trip. It was not one of my better vacations.
BTW, a plug is only a temporary repair, and should be permanently repaired with an internal patch as soon as practicable.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Air compressor

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a VIAIR 400 portable.It is what Jeepesters use.I think I can air up a flat in 2min.And I got a plug kit plus my spare.Now check tires & lugs before during & after each trip.Right?????
Old 08-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Thumbs up Something wrong with trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia
...Now check tires & lugs before during & after each trip.Right?????
Cynthia, I am sure you are just following up on what you have read here (because I have seen the same warnings too), so the following rant is not directed at you:

Ya know, maybe I'm just annoyed at something else, but why would lugs need checking that often? Does anyone check their automobile lugs that often? Why would a trailer be different? If my lugs loosened that often, I would be looking for something wrong.

What am I missing here?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
VIAIR is a good compressor so you should be in great shape.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Why would a trailer be different?

What am I missing here?

Tom,

I think it has to do with the extreme load that is placed on the wheel. The side load on the trailer in corners and even sway is tremendous. There is also the issue of aluminum wheels needing to be checked more often for loose lugs....

That is my understanding anyhow
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Ive pulled lots of trailers lots of miles and have found that the ninit I get out at any stop I walk back and just lay the palm of my hand against the center of the rim and touch the lugs also. If anything is wrong it will produce heat and you will be able to feel it easily. If its hot weater or you have been working the trailer hard like hills and mountains everything including tires will be warm but they wont be hot enough to say ouch. If they are, check further. Mac
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Palm check

The heat check was great advice!You see I have only 16mos. of trailering under my belt,& not alot of miles yet.The lug check I was told was a visual,just make sure they are there and it all looks right.This is also the first trailer I have ever pulled,or stayed in.Friendly advice is very welcomed.
Thanks all