Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
Check you printed diesel supplement and see if it has that problem.

Alternatively, you can use any good stud on the engine block or accessory mounting bracket as the ground attachment point.
Thx dzn. Will check the manual for letters vs numbers and get back to you. The battery in the diesel is passenger rear (near firewall) and remote negative terminal is driver front (near radiator). Literally exact opposite edges of the engine bay :-)

Before posting my question, I checked the manual but popped the hood to see exactly what it looked like. The positive terminal is easily accessible. (Oddly enough, the remote positive terminal is just a few inches from the battery's positive terminal) The negative terminal is about an inch from the firewall and access is restricted quite a bit by a bracket.

Will check for better negative connection in the morning. Thanks!!

Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Why not......

.......get a spare 7way plug, connect the charge wire & ground.

Cord centered in the rear, no mess'n under the hood, no tangled wire in the fan, no sparks.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
hmmm, need to tell someone about the letter vs. number thing. Check you printed diesel supplement and see if it has that problem.

Alternatively, you can use any good stud on the engine block or accessory mounting bracket as the ground attachment point.
Dznf0g - both my PDF and printed versions of the manual only use letters. I noticed that using the iPhone app, your post had all asterisks where the numbers showed up on the safari browser version. Probably just something to do with the cut and paste from your system.

As to the battery connection - sometimes, my level of dufus-ness is so surprising its almost inspirational. :-/

I was so focused on the main battery location, I neglected to notice that the remote negative terminal (on the opposite corner of the engine compartment) is connected to the Aux Battery which is 100% accessible!! Oy. Never mind. :-)

But thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
.......get a spare 7way plug, connect the charge wire & ground.

Cord centered in the rear, no mess'n under the hood, no tangled wire in the fan, no sparks.

Bob
Hmmmm.....now that's an intriguing idea!

Are you suggesting removing the alligator clips from the compressor and connecting their cables to 2 of 7 pins in a plug so the 7 pin connector is now permanently attached to the compressor?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Well you could wire the 7pin directly to the compressor cord, workable if it's only used with the tow vehicle.

I would use quick disconnect's, so you could use either/or. 7pin or agulator.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bob's suggestion would work...just make sure your compressor doesn't draw more amperage than the wire is rated for (doubt it is an issue). The opposing terminals in the manual are for jump starting your or another vehicle....very high current flow to a presumably dead battery. Your compressor is probably 10-20 AMPS (SWAG, verify your compressor) you can locate a ground on either battery or use an engine stud which is mounted to the block..An alternator bracket is often a good location.....your aux batt + and - are fine as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Definitely something to look in to. Thanks gents!!!

Here are the compressor specs (yes, 20 amp, dznf0g).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-304651068.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	185543
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bob's Idea would certainly work for 20AMPS. I'd go a step further and get a replacement plug like on the end of the AS umbilical. Just wire the compressor to the bat charge terminal and ground terminal....leave rest open.
Edit...I see that is really what Bob is saying. Convertibility is a great suggestion.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Bob's Idea would certainly work for 20AMPS. I'd go a step further and get a replacement plug like on the end of the AS umbilical. Just wire the compressor to the bat charge terminal and ground terminal....leave rest open.
Edit...I see that is really what Bob is saying. Convertibility is a great suggestion.
Like the one I use for our portable solar panel, just un-roll and plug-in.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ok - I'm getting pretty excited about this project! Just want to check a few things if you all wouldn't mind sharing your wisdom.

1) I went to my local RV supplier and was able to get the trailer-side 7-blade head but they had no cables that would work for my application. They had a quick disconnect like the one Bob posted but it was 16 gauge wire and he said I needed 12 if I was going to connect to the battery feed from the connector.

2) I was able to get 12 gauge wire and quick connectors to "roll my own" from Radio Shack

3) the two images below include:

a) the wiring diagram for the trailer side 7-way cable in the AS manual
b) a photo of my 7-way head from the same angle with a red shrink wrap sleeve in the 11:00 position and a black shrink wrap sleeve in the 5:00 position

This appears to be (from the AS diagram) where I want to connect my battery feed (red) and ground (black) wires respectively.
(2nd edit) NOTE: we already established that the connector was plug and play with my TV (2013 Duramax) where the Chevy calls the 12v ground "white" (which coincidentally matched AS's white ground) and the battery feed as red (which aligns to AS's black 12v blade).

Those wires would then connect to a male quick connect coupler and the red/black wires on the compressor would connect to a female quick connect coupler. I would then add a male coupler to the cut-off alligator clips and a few feet of their wire so the compressor could be used off a battery if desired.

Does that make sense to you or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks! Everyone I explained this to LOVED the idea! Me too! I just don't want to blow anything up!

Edited to include pics :doh!:

Name:	image-54571194.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	185698

Name:	image-3476873927.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	185699
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Steve,

I really doubt that the wiring for your trailer is any different than the diagram,
but....stuff happens.

And remember....you'll be wiring the 7way from the other end, a 12v test light will confirm your connections.

A worthwhile addition to your AS tool kit. NAPA should have one.

Post pic's when done..

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Dang it, Bob - I KNEW I was forgetting something at Radio Shack!!! :memory?:

Will post pics AFTER validating the connections. May not be able to get to that for a few days. :cliffhanger: :-)

Thanks for the great suggestion in the first place, Bob. If this is wired right, it's going to be a really slick solution!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ok, Kids :-)

Wicked fun!!

First - it works!!! I couldn't be happier!

Here are some pics:

The Viair in its carry bag

Name:	image-4129182009.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	185763

Here you can see the original alligator clips that connect to the battery.

Name:	image-1049637168.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	625.4 KB
ID:	185764

As mentioned, I couldn't find the kind of disconnect Bob included in his reply in a 12 gauge wire (my local RV store said 12 was a must - theirs was a 16 and meant for different connections). So I bought 12g quick connect clips and wire at Radio Shack. I cut the original compressor cable at the mid point. This is the male quick connect on the end coming from the alligator clips.

Name:	image-987276521.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	185765

This is the male and female connection hooked together coming from the 7-pin head to the compressor.

Name:	image-1428309604.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	185766

This shows the longer view from 7-blade head to compressor.

Name:	image-1825254695.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	514.0 KB
ID:	185767

I was talking with someone at work today about this setup and he had a 12v meter so we went out to check for the battery feed and ground. It was what I thought - looking at it from the trailer side 7-blade head, battery is at 11:00 and ground at 5. When you plug that in to the truck, the truck side has battery feed at 1 and ground at 7.

We confirmed that with the volt meter and I felt so proud I didn't screw it up. Then we plugged it in, fired it up and rock and roll!!

If course, when we were done, he pointed out to me that the wiring diagram for the truck's 7-blade connection was printed on the cover! :doh!:

Name:	image-1659221719.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	185768

But I learned a lot!

Bob and Protagonist - I can't thank you enough for the idea, encouragement and PMs to walk me through this. Now I want to go out and buy a bunch of 12 volt accessories and wire 'em up!!!

:-)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Way to go....

Steve,

Congratulations….It's going to hard to control the urge now.

DW's can sometimes be helpful, but usually only on things they admit too knowing nothing about….A very small universe in my case.

It's very satisfying when all things come together on purpose.

Bob

RLC

RLC