Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
? about air preasure at gas stations...

Greetings.

Before each trip I check the tire preasure, among other things, before hitting the road. A couple of days before leaving, I ussually schlepp my portable(?) compressor with me in case the tires need topping off at 65#. This also means I have to schlepp my 50# Honda generator with me since the power outlet by my storage space area is now locked.

The reason I do this, is that the one time I went to a gas station last year to get some air, it seemed that the preasure in my tires was greater than the output of air at the station. It just was not putting any air in the 'ol donuts.

It was one of those units that you have to feed quarters. Do the compressors at Mobil et al even go up to 65#???

Am I destined to proceed like this, or was it merely an anomoly at this particular Mobil station?

Thanks.

Jonathan
Old 06-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Have you considered permanately mounting a 12v mobile air compressor on your trailer? You can get a pretty nice one for about $100. Get some extra hose and you could also refill your car tires if need be.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Old School

Back when service stations really did service cars they had real compressors chugging away in back. The air in our shop is set to 120#. (How do you think we get lug nuts so tight?) I think the ones you plunk quarters into are pretty weak, if they work at all.
How about trying low tech and getting an old style foot pump at the auto parts joint?
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi Alan.

For me, everything is about weight. I don't have the most titantic of tow vehicles (VW Eurovan), therefore I try to do as much prep work first, and bring along as few things as possible.

Someday when I get something beefier I'll consider your idea, or just always bring my unit with me.

Jonathan
Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Which One Do You Recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killo1
Have you considered permanately mounting a 12v mobile air compressor on your trailer? You can get a pretty nice one for about $100. Get some extra hose and you could also refill your car tires if need be.
Killo1,
Which one do you recommend? The ones I've found appeared neither adequate nor nor substantial enough to be reliable over the long haul.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up not a bad idea!

I uh, schlep, a small 12-volt rechargeable air compressor with me when I travel, but it really has to work hard to get air in to the tires. I'd like to find something a bit more permanent, and especially more rugged. With the exception of truck stops and some of the larger travel centers, I'd rather not have to try weaving the rig in and out of a gas station - they don't always put those air/water stations in the most convenient spots. probably would mount it in one of my truck's rear compartments as opposed to the trailer, and get one of those small retractible air hoses.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hey Tom.

You just gave me an incredible idea.

I have a bike tire pump, the manual pump it yourself kind in my basement. It is made by Blackburn model #TPS-2. It is a pretty substantial pump, not the kind that goes on the frame of a bike.

There is a gauge on the pump that goes up to 160PSI (though I'm not sure if it would do that) I just need to get the tires to 65#.

The pump weighs in at about four pounds and would be easy to transport, and be handy to just top off a few pounds should the tires be low.

I'm going to try this this weekend as a test.

Jonathan
Old 06-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Well a quick phone call to Blackburn and they said they don't "support" using the pump I have for anything other than bikes.

I'm scratching my head wondering what would be the difference between pumping a bike tire to 40# or a car tire to 65#. They did confirm the pump was good to 140#

Am i missing something?

maybe a liability thing???

Jonathan
Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Mad1

1989 29' Excella
Dallas , Texas
I think you will find neither the bicycle pump or you have the needed duty cycle if that tire needs very much air at all. The "heat of compression" will soon destroy the pump
madrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Yea. That's what I was thinking of.
Years ago VW had a cigarette lighter pump as an accessory for the Camper. Haven't seen one in ages.
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:39 PM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Update:

A call to my local bike shop: You can use this pump on an auto type tire, and the guy that I talked with said he had done it himself.

BUT...

Since the volume of air in a big tube like the ones on the AS is MUCH larger than on a bicycle tire, it would take about a half hour just to get three pounds in there.

I was told that I would get a good work-out, but it can be done, in a pinch.

Not sure what "heat of compression" would do to a manual pump though.

Jonathan
Old 06-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Killo1,
Which one do you recommend? The ones I've found appeared neither adequate nor nor substantial enough to be reliable over the long haul.
This link
Portable Air Compressors
seems to have the one I was to referring to. A lot of off roaders permanately install them under the hood.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
This link
Portable Air Compressors
seems to have the one I was to referring to. A lot of off roaders permanately install them under the hood.
Thanks! That really fulfills the Airstreaming requirement as well as the off-roading requirements it appears to have been designed for.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Jonathan,

This is the air compressor I purchased at Home Depot. $39.99 it is lightweight very portable and is rated at over 100psi. The down side is that it takes a little time to air up; I have found it to be effective. My plan is to add an on board air compressor and air tank to my truck. This will give me plenty of air and an I can add an air horn so all of those jack**** that like to pull-out right in front of me while talking on their cell phone will at least hear my 52' long rig in their rearview mirror.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Brent/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gng.0&MID=9876
Attached Images

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Jonathan,

This is the air compressor I purchased at Home Depot. $39.99 it is lightweight very portable and is rated at over 100psi. The down side is that it takes a little time to air up; I have found it to be effective. My plan is to add an on board air compressor and air tank to my truck. This will give me plenty of air and an I can add an air horn so all of those jack**** that like to pull-out right in front of me while talking on their cell phone will at least hear my 52' long rig in their rearview mirror.

I didn't know you had any jackasses in Arizona. I thought they were native to and pretty much localized here in New "Old" Mexico, the super highway to "fast track" immigration and voting rights.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Greetings.

Before each trip I check the tire pressure, among other things, before hitting the road. A couple of days before leaving, I usually schlepp my portable(?) compressor with me in case the tires need topping off at 65#. This also means I have to schlepp my 50# Honda generator with me since the power outlet by my storage space area is now locked.

The reason I do this, is that the one time I went to a gas station last year to get some air, it seemed that the pressure in my tires was greater than the output of air at the station. It just was not putting any air in the 'ol donuts.

It was one of those units that you have to feed quarters. Do the compressors at Mobil et al even go up to 65#???

Am I destined to proceed like this, or was it merely an anomoly at this particular Mobil station?

Thanks.

Jonathan
I've had the same thing happen although not on the trailer, since I normally use my 12 volt pump to top them off at home. My problem is on the van due to the fact that the rear tires need 80 lbs. to put them at max load pressures. The local QT is a losing battle, so a local Shell at this point is my only local solution. I always fill for a little bit and then stop and check with my gage. It's not unusual to find that I've lost ground.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
I didn't know you had any jackasses in Arizona. I thought they were native to and pretty much localized here in New "Old" Mexico, the super highway to "fast track" immigration and voting rights.

Quick off topic theory... I'm from the Midwest (Iowa, Chicago, Indiana) before moving to AZ. When we first moved to Phoenix 9 years ago I immediately noticed that there are a lot of really bad drivers in AZ. (This was even before EVERYONE had a cell phone.) So...My theory is that a large percentage of the people that live here moved here because they did not like driving in cold weather and snow... So now our state Arizona, is populated with all of the bad drivers from the north. (Except for me of course)
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
This link
Portable Air Compressors
Thanks for this post. I found a local distributor and will investigate durability factors and the feasability of installing one under the hood of my Silverado next week. If workable, this would certainly be convenient.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Thanks for this post. I found a local distributor and will investigate durability factors and the feasability of installing one under the hood of my Silverado next week. If workable, this would certainly be convenient.
Please take pictures of your installation. My Silverado wants one too!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Jack.

80 Pounds???? Wow. I have never been able to get two of the same answers as to the proper inflation for the Eurovan.

I've just keep the preasure at 40 pounds on all four tires and hope that is about right.

BTW- I'm using Michelin Energy MXV4+ 225/60R16XL

Jonathan