Old 06-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #29

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by crazylev
When towing something like and AS, boat, or any heavy trailer, do you have to adjust tire preasure?
I'm assuming you are talking about the tow vehicle pressures. While I haven't weighed this van nor my current trailer, I am aware that the manufacturer of my tow vehicle has a recommend tire pressure on the driver's side door. Being one who brings along other items including the trailer, the load in the van not only includes the obvious hitch weight, but its passengers, grill, a full fuel tank, possibly Patty's electric cart, just to name some of the things.

Bottom line I want the van to be at its rated cargo capacity specs, so the answer to your question is yes, I check the tow vehicle tires before each trip and bring them up to manufacturers specs prior. I've never done wrong doing it that way and I have a high degree of comfort level when I hit the road.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I usually bump the air in the rear tires of the van 3 psi when towing. I generally have the pressure higher anyway since I only use the van for towing or hauling stuff back from the home center, lumber yard ect.
Yes I DO remember the air fillers at the old service stations. Saw one up in Wisconsin last year. I am also an old enough fossil to remember when gas was 26 cents a gallon. 19 if there was a gas war. Now that's a phrase you don't hear any more.

AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR

Crank up that old handle to whatever pressure you wanted and listen to it 'ding-ding' while it filled. And 6 grades of Sunoco gas up to 101 octane. I sure miss those days!!

Anyway, every large truck stop like Flying J, T/A, Loves etc. has real air capacities. You also might just go down to your local tire shop to get a charge!
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Klevan, I looked at some of the compressors yesterday and they appear to be of high quality and much stronger than the little, cheap, emergency types we can purchase at auto supply shops. One was extremely small (no larger than a couple of fists) and could be mounted in the engine compartment I guess but I'll be darned if I could figure out where in my TV to mount it. One that was a little larger was equiped with a carry handle and stand with vibration isolation and a 35ft air hose with battery clamps from the compressor for easy attachment to your TV or trailer batteries. While very portable, it was also small enough, maybe 12" long at the largest dimension. Most were rated for 150psi. While I've always carried one the cheap varieties for the bikes and emergencys, I wonder how long before it would burn up should I run it for any length of time. Some of the larger units (not that much larger) had small air tanks and might be appropriate for mounting in a pickup bed or tool box. The units I looked over were sold by a four wheel drive specialty shop.

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote