Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Sorry, but the tire in this thread is an alignment issue, not a tire problem. This wear pattern is 360į around the tire on one rib. A tire problem would have an isolated wear spot about 8" long, just off one of the outermost ribs.

Also, I don't like the term "broken belt" as that seems to be describing something that isn't there. The best term would be "belt leaving belt separation", but I'll settle for "tread separation".
The standard accepted term is "broken belt".If you go into any tire store and say you think you have a "broken belt" in your tire they will know what you are talking about.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
where to go for service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
Caster does not wear tires it is what causes your vehicle to track straight. Robert is right in that the trailing arm type axle has the caster built in. I disagree about jacking up the axle could have caused this because if you jack the tt up with the axle and it bends it will bend up which would cause the top of the tire to lean out thus creating a positive camber on the tire. The inside of the tire is worn out on tire so it has negative camber. Most likely from a curb hit or a pothole or some other obstruction in the road that was hit.
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing about which way the axle would bend if it had been a jacking issue. They would have had to jack the axle from the outside of the tire to bend it up.

So folks have mentioned finding a good alignment shop. The places I use for my TV are all enclosed and could not fit a TT on the rack. Do you check a place that specializes in Big Rigs or campers. There is a local Camping World with a service bay but I do not know of their repair/service abilities. I would prefer to take it to the Out of Doors Mart (if they do that sort of service) but that is 4 hrs away.
Should I just plan a tip to get it fixed?

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
tire wear

I wouldn't drive 4 hrs you will probably have a blow out on that tire. Check around local if the shop has a 12 ft garage door they should be able to get it in if their rack is big enough. Some shops just won't fool with it but maby their is one that the owner has a camper or he is an old hotrodder. You have an airstream use that to your advantage because everyone loves an airstream. If it was a SOB you might not get lucky. Good luck
Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Before you start bending and replacing axles, check to make sure your axle nuts are tightened sufficiently, This is easy to do by jacking up the trailer and tugging on the tires, one hand on the left side, one hand on the right. If you fell they are moving, you need to tighten up your axle nut.

A loose axle nut can produce tire wear that is similar to what you describe.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Why don't you get the yellow pages for your fair city out and look for a trailer repair shop ? A place that works on trailers such as for 18 wheelers would have the rack, tools and expertise.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
The standard accepted term is "broken belt".If you go into any tire store and say you think you have a "broken belt" in your tire they will know what you are talking about.
First, tire shops are not populated by brightest thinkers in the industry. They are notorious for using terms very loosely and incorrectly. By contrast, tire engineers do NOT use that term. All I am trying to do is to get people to eliminate the use of terms that are mis-leading - particularly terms that don't say what is really going on. Popularity should not be the deciding factor.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Just get a straight 2x4 and hold it up against both tires and see if the tires are not parellel to the board. This will give you some information as to what the problem is.

If you are on flat level ground you can also measure the angle of the tire relative to the ground with a carpenter's square.

Airstream has a device for bending axels. It is big double ended clamp with a screw jack in the middle. The screw is tightened to bend the axel tube to get the correct alignment. One of my axels tubes looks like a noodle but it seems to track straight.

Perry
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, tire shops are not populated by brightest thinkers in the industry. They are notorious for using terms very loosely and incorrectly. By contrast, tire engineers do NOT use that term. All I am trying to do is to get people to eliminate the use of terms that are mis-leading - particularly terms that don't say what is really going on. Popularity should not be the deciding factor.
I take that as a direct slap in the face. I have turned wrenches for over 20years and while am not an engineer (I have known some that were book smart but couldn't find their way out of a paper bag know anyone like that?) Do you even how where the term comes from? Do you even know how a tire is made? If you do then you should know why the term belt is used. It is used not only by tire shops but also by mechanics, tire salesmen, and the general public. If you tell anybody in the automotive field you have a "belt broken" they will know what you are talking about. Anyway this is completely off topic. Sorry.