Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
A word to the wise

A year and a half ago I had an Airstream Dealer replace my fifteen inch tires with sixteen inch tires and had them also install new Michelin ten ply tires. For a year and a half I thought I had the best feet in the world on my trailer.

Then last week I went to dump and noticed my two left tires appeared to be low, so I went to add air. But when my fingers touched the valve stems air came out...then after looking I realized that both valve stems were rotten and leaking.

The dealership had installed the tires with RUBBER valve stems, and had been running the tires at 65psi. They should have had steel stems!!! I never looked because I trusted the guys at the dealership.

So the next day I took all four tires off and drove 150 miles to a Les Schwab to get steel valve stems installed for a grand sum of $31.00. All the time thinking how lucky I was to have driven thousand of miles in the past eighteen months on four time bombs.

So a word to the wise, check your valve stems. And probably double check everything else your dealer does....
Old 05-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like you learned a good lesson.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Use metal valve stems especially if you have tire pressure monitors on those stems....we had rubber stems when we first got the TPM system ... then one failed while we were going through Phoenix. Luckily we were on a street rather than an express way. The TPM sounded and alarm when the pressure decreased so we were OK, but the stem was scarce at the base where it enters the wheel. We replaced them all when we got home.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I put high pressure rubber stems in with my tire change. I found my trailer on the rim one morning for no apparent reason. No punctures. I found if I pushed the valve stem to the side, it would leak. I went to the auto parts store, got 4 stems for about 8 bucks, and swapped them at home.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Based on the responses so far, I'm not able to tell if the valve stems should be metal, rubber, or hard rubber? Just about to order new tires and don't want to make a mistake. Thanks. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
When I put on new wheels and tires I put on the metal valve stems. There is no disadvantage that I know of.

You might want to consider the tire pressure monitoring system at this time as you will have the tires off.

I did not think of them at the time. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
There are rubber stems that are rated for higher presdures. I have rubber on my 16 inch wheels that are rated to carry high pressure. The key for me is replace them with every tire change. They can dry rot much like tires with age. At one time I think any pressure of 65 or more psi required metal stems. Things have improved over time so I just verify ratings now and change them when new tires are put on. I treat the tow vehicle the same way. Never have had a valve fail on any vehicle.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I put high pressure rubber stems in with my tire change. I found my trailer on the rim one morning for no apparent reason. No punctures. I found if I pushed the valve stem to the side, it would leak. I went to the auto parts store, got 4 stems for about 8 bucks, and swapped them at home.
You must have your own tire shop with all the tools/eguipment to remove and remount, and rebalance the tires, to install the (steel?) valve stems yourself.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Tires and valve stems

We had our own tire fiasco this spring. We bought new tires and took them into our regular mechanic to mount, etc. He is a good car guy, but trailer things - not so much. First, he used the old valve stems, which were for the 65 PSI tires, not our new 80 PSI ones. We had told him that we wanted metal, but he hadn't obtained any, so used the old rubber ones. So we bought some metal ones and went back, but they didn't leave enough room to attach the tire pressure monitors. Then we learned that you have to have stems to match the pressure you need. It seems obvious, but we just didn't think of it.

Our car guy also gave us the tires inflated to only 65 because his car tire equipment couldn't get them up to 80. He also failed to mention this little problem. Shesh! We have a larger compressor at home than he does in his shop!

Also, we ended up buying some nice metal stems that we couldn't use because they have to be bolted on from the outside and the AS wheels don't have the space to get a tool in to do that, so you have to get the type that just pop on from the inside.

This is a way more troublesome topic than I would have guessed! But we now have some new E rated tires and high pressure valve stems, so are good to go. But it was a several days of trouble.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
You must have your own tire shop with all the tools/eguipment to remove and remount, and rebalance the tires, to install the (steel?) valve stems yourself.
no... I have a 30 buck Harbor Freight manual tire changer, I bought years ago just for the bead breaker to use on motorcycle tires....No need to take the tire off the rim. Just break the bead on one side and change stems. No need to rebalance.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Them rubber stems were probably made in China, they don't last very long, the metal ( brass) ones usually have an O ring which should replaced every time the tires are changed....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I asked for metal valve stems at CanAm in London, and was told that they were not available for the wheels used on the 30' FC.

We'll 'Boo-Hoo! ��
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I asked for metal valve stems at CanAm in London, and was told that they were not available for the wheels used on the 30' FC.

We'll 'Boo-Hoo! ��

I was told this by my tire place, and it turns out that they simply didn't have the right SIZE of stem in stock and didn't realize they came in different sizes.

Inside the rim, the valve stem needs to sit in a recess. Apparently there some some stems that don't fit in the recess, but it's simply a matter of finding the (commonly available) ones that do.

Hope that helps!
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote