Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
A TV tire question

Another question while there is some tire guru's around....

I have a F150 as a TV and I'm considering changing out the tires that came with it from the factory. Right now the truck has "P275 55R20 111S Tires and I'm thinking about going to an LT tire possibly a Michelin. Does anyone have any recommendations and will an LT tire actually increase my truck Payload if I choose the correct tire?

I see Michelin has a Cross over Light Truck tire called a LTX/MS2 or possibly the LTX A/T2. I have no idea if these are what I should be looking at or not.
275/55R20 Tires | Michelin Tires

Thanks

Doug
Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post

I have a F150 as a TV and I'm considering changing out the tires that came with it from the factory. Right now the truck has "P275 55R20 111S Tires and I'm thinking about going to an LT tire possibly a Michelin. Does anyone have any recommendations and will an LT tire actually increase my truck Payload if I choose the correct tire?

Doug
The answer is NO. Tires no matter what the load capacity greater than the load capacity of the truck does NOT increase the load capacity of the truck. The load capacity of the truck effects far more items than tires.

Restated, if the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is 5000 pounds and some one installs tires with a load capacity of 8000 pounds the max load capacity of the entire truck with load is still 5000 pounds. Any total vehicle weight greater than 5000 pounds is overloaded.

One would want to match the tire load capacity to the maximum possible vehicle load. (Or GVWR) Anything greater than that is OK just don't load the vehicle gretaer the GVWR because there are other assemblies that were only created to the max GVWR. Like springs, shocks, brakes electronic suspension and brake compoenants to name a few.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-09-2015, 02:24 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Wheel rating needs to match and preferably exceed tire rating.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post

I see Michelin has a Cross over Light Truck tire called a LTX/MS2 or possibly the LTX A/T2. I have no idea if these are what I should be looking at or not.
275/55R20 Tires | Michelin Tires

Thanks

Doug
Using any "P" type tire requires you to "de-rate" the tire load capacity by dividing by 1.10.

Many of the "LTX design" sizes are actually just "extra load" Passenger tires and not really LT type tires.

I wrote a blog post March 2 on "Much Confusion" discussing the "LTX' name and line of tires.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Fox
You cannot go wrong buying the Michelin LTX/MS2 tires. I get 70,000+ miles on them on both my Tahoe and Yukon...and have never had a tire failure. Cost a little more...but so well worth it. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote