Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Get this...........

I bought my trailer from a used car dealer. He assured me that the tires
were like new. I had my first blow out after traveling five feet .
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tire Failures

It is interesting to read, over time, how many tire failures various owners have encountered.

Makes me wonder "why oh why" Airstream spend millions of dollars researching the many things they use.

Tires being just one of them, then it becomes difficult to justify another type or brand different from what they have used for many years, and continue to use.

Maybe the "wheel" hasn't been invented yet.

Be safe. Use what the factory uses. Can't go too far wrong.

If price was the object, then why did we choose an Airstream?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
malden , Massachusetts
yes another victim of the moronic plague

I remember YEARS ago I rented one of the old GMC duel rear wheel front wheel drive motorhomes I'm Mr. KEWL and driving thru Portland Maine I still can remember this like it was yesterday.................and I take a corner and out of the passenger mirror I see a SNOW STORM and can't quite figure out what was going on well after stopping I see Just what the snow was----- fiberglass and Lots of it. I had hit SOMETHING ????? I'm not quite sure of what it is.....some kind of 1800's thing 7-8 feet high with a knife edge about 6 foot high and sticking out to about the edge of the corner on the corner of the street ......... and yes the knife edge ran about 6-8 feet down the passenger side of the body hence the show storm.......O U C H...
roderickm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
It is interesting to read, over time, how many tire failures various owners have encountered.

Makes me wonder "why oh why" Airstream spend millions of dollars researching the many things they use.

Tires being just one of them, then it becomes difficult to justify another type or brand different from what they have used for many years, and continue to use.

Maybe the "wheel" hasn't been invented yet.

Be safe. Use what the factory uses. Can't go too far wrong.

If price was the object, then why did we choose an Airstream?

Andy

53FlyingCloud

Another "VERY" important issue is "axlel alignment". There is one axle manufacturer, who shall, at the moment, remain nameless, that ships brand new axles, "THAT ARE NOT IN PROPER ALIGNMENT", neither camber or caster.

Wow, that's another reason that would allow someone to ship a "cheap" product.

My grandmother frowns opon that.

Andy
Old 04-10-2006, 04:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What does your grandmother frown on?

Are you answering 53 Flying Cloud's 3 1/2 year old post or are these dates wrong??

Maybe the threads are merged??

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

We have some WBCCI friends who just completed a restoration of their '63 GlobeTrotter. They were on their way to the Santa Maria Rally and had a blow out which did major damage to their plumbing, gas lines, cabinetry & exterior skin. I haven't seen the trailer, just pictures but it was a major warning to us to get new tires ASAP. Our tires have plenty of tread left, but are not new...they could have unseen rot...and the way you usually find out is with a blow-out!

Shari
I know this is an old quote and thread but since someone got it going I have a ??

After hooking up and testing our gas lines yesterday my husband was questioning it's use during travel and I told him that you usually run the gas for the fridge while on the road....after reading this thread I am also a little concerned after hearing major damage was done to the gas lines during a blow out...that equals to me POOF . I have new rubber so that's not a prob...but for others with old tires the question stands..is it safe to travel with you gas on??

I vaguely remember a thread about locking down your tanks with an alternative to the stock set up and forgot to take notes...if anyone can point me in that direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
What does your grandmother frown on?

Are you answering 53 Flying Cloud's 3 1/2 year old post or are these dates wrong??

Maybe the threads are merged??
Carol.

I just added to the previous posts.

My Grandmother frowns on several things, usually the number one issue with her is safety.

But she won't give me a list, until she finishes her 12 pack of beer first.

Hey, and that could take her maybe another hour or so.

You know how these Grandmothers can be, sometimes.

Andy
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Good for your grandma! Gotta love 'em. But I hope she fares better after that 12 pack, than mine did. Unfortunately in our family , Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #29
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
...After hooking up and testing our gas lines yesterday my husband was questioning it's use during travel and I told him that you usually run the gas for the fridge while on the road....after reading this thread I am also a little concerned after hearing major damage was done to the gas lines during a blow out...that equals to me POOF . I have new rubber so that's not a prob...but for others with old tires the question stands..is it safe to travel with you gas on??
the answer is....

"ask Andy's Grandmother".

seriously, you'll get as many opinions as there are answers.

personally, I don't have a problem with it. however, all my gas lines are forward of the wheels. In order for a blowout to do damage to my gas lines, I'd have to be going in reverse so fast that gas would be the least of my worries.

I know that units just a couple of years older than mine had the water heaters in the aft streetside corner. I don't know how the gas lines were configured, but it would seem to me to be prudent to have at least a shutoff valve in those lines that is located forward of the wheel wells, so that the LP system can be isolated from anything back there during travel, without affecting use of the fridge while under way.

also, modern OPD valves on the propane tanks are supposed to prevent a sudden discharge of gas. they allegedly shut off if a line is torn open, or any other occurance where too much gas is being expelled too quickly.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Yes, indeed, we must watch out for our Grandmothers.

I make mine were activated LED lights when she goes out of the house.

Wow, does she ever get looks from the "old guys".

Even the cops sometimes ask her "what's going on".

She say she tells them that since she is "lit up" on the inside after all those beers, she wants to be lit up on the outside as well.

You know how some Grandmothers are, they must wear matching everything.

Andy
Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Ha...I think we need to start a new thread called

"Andy's Grandma say's....." It would be real interesting after 12 beers

Thanks for the post Chuck....I do have the line running down by my back wheel to my H20 heater....have to check on that shut off valve but good to know about the automatic shutoff to the ODP valves....I think that will keep my hubby quiet for a while
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote