Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #29

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by enduroryda
...After hooking up and testing our gas lines yesterday my husband was questioning it's use during travel and I told him that you usually run the gas for the fridge while on the road....after reading this thread I am also a little concerned after hearing major damage was done to the gas lines during a blow out...that equals to me POOF . I have new rubber so that's not a prob...but for others with old tires the question it safe to travel with you gas on??
the answer is....

"ask Andy's Grandmother".

seriously, you'll get as many opinions as there are answers.

personally, I don't have a problem with it. however, all my gas lines are forward of the wheels. In order for a blowout to do damage to my gas lines, I'd have to be going in reverse so fast that gas would be the least of my worries.

I know that units just a couple of years older than mine had the water heaters in the aft streetside corner. I don't know how the gas lines were configured, but it would seem to me to be prudent to have at least a shutoff valve in those lines that is located forward of the wheel wells, so that the LP system can be isolated from anything back there during travel, without affecting use of the fridge while under way.

also, modern OPD valves on the propane tanks are supposed to prevent a sudden discharge of gas. they allegedly shut off if a line is torn open, or any other occurance where too much gas is being expelled too quickly.

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Yes, indeed, we must watch out for our Grandmothers.

I make mine were activated LED lights when she goes out of the house.

Wow, does she ever get looks from the "old guys".

Even the cops sometimes ask her "what's going on".

She say she tells them that since she is "lit up" on the inside after all those beers, she wants to be lit up on the outside as well.

You know how some Grandmothers are, they must wear matching everything.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Ha...I think we need to start a new thread called

"Andy's Grandma say's....." It would be real interesting after 12 beers

Thanks for the post Chuck....I do have the line running down by my back wheel to my H20 heater....have to check on that shut off valve but good to know about the automatic shutoff to the ODP valves....I think that will keep my hubby quiet for a while

enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote