Old 12-02-2002, 05:11 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
After reading this thread, I guess I was just lucky when my rear road side tire blew while traveling on I 49. I was doing about 55 or so and I heard and felt it when she blew. I was able to immediately pull over and did not have any structural or cosmetic damage(except for the tire which was beginning to come apart). The tire was a GoodYear Marathon load range C and was about 6 years old. My theory is that it had broken belts caused by sever stress while making sharp turns. I have noticed that these tires actually slide sideways while backing into a tight place. My dealer said tires should be changed every 4-5 years(especiallly if they sit idle for long periods). I am replacing them with load range D tires. Two have been replaced and the other two will be replaced when they get to the 5 year age.

McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Steel-steel tires

I was looking at the Goodyear website yesterday and noticed that they have "steel-steel" tires in addition to the Marathons which are "steel-fabric tires". The steel-steel tires are premium for heavy loads and long-distance towing.

I wonder whether a steel-steel tire would stay together better and not do the usual damage to the trailer if it blows. If so, add that to the reduced probability of sidewall failure and they would really be a winner.

The site did say that they ride harder. Might last longer, also, with no fabric to rot.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
53FlyingCloud.
You can add to the list, mixing different brand tires and different size tires, both of which cause uneven loads per tire.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 06-23-2004, 03:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
The tires were of 1994 vintage, or 8 years old at the time. All of the tires were garbage and I am lucky more of them didn't blow out. 2 of them had buldges (tire seperation).
Old 06-23-2004, 04:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Mine has had a blowout at some point.
The wheel well on the curbside shows evidence of repair using flashing riveted to the damaged wheelwell.
When towing on wet pavement, I was getting water inside. So, I did an undercoat of the wheelwell. to seal everything up. All dry now when towing on wet pavement.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #20
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Thumbs down Don't buy NANKANG 's

I was most fortunate to find a HUMONGOUS tread separation on one of my Nankang 225-75 R15 ST trailer tires (D range) before the disastrous moment. I had just returned from a 650 mile trip and could not believe I did not notice it the day before while towing. The tires were less than 4 years old and lots of tread- only minor sidewall checking. The bulge was about 2" and the rip on the inside was at least 9'. The dealer basically shined me with an offer of a $10 adjustment!! LIKE I WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO PUT ANOTHER NANKANG ON!!!?? No way!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Get this...........

I bought my trailer from a used car dealer. He assured me that the tires
were like new. I had my first blow out after traveling five feet .
Old 06-24-2004, 09:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tire Failures

It is interesting to read, over time, how many tire failures various owners have encountered.

Makes me wonder "why oh why" Airstream spend millions of dollars researching the many things they use.

Tires being just one of them, then it becomes difficult to justify another type or brand different from what they have used for many years, and continue to use.

Maybe the "wheel" hasn't been invented yet.

Be safe. Use what the factory uses. Can't go too far wrong.

If price was the object, then why did we choose an Airstream?

Andy
Old 04-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
malden , Massachusetts
yes another victim of the moronic plague

I remember YEARS ago I rented one of the old GMC duel rear wheel front wheel drive motorhomes I'm Mr. KEWL and driving thru Portland Maine I still can remember this like it was yesterday.................and I take a corner and out of the passenger mirror I see a SNOW STORM and can't quite figure out what was going on well after stopping I see Just what the snow was----- fiberglass and Lots of it. I had hit SOMETHING ????? I'm not quite sure of what it is.....some kind of 1800's thing 7-8 feet high with a knife edge about 6 foot high and sticking out to about the edge of the corner on the corner of the street ......... and yes the knife edge ran about 6-8 feet down the passenger side of the body hence the show storm.......O U C H...
Old 04-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
It is interesting to read, over time, how many tire failures various owners have encountered.

Makes me wonder "why oh why" Airstream spend millions of dollars researching the many things they use.

Tires being just one of them, then it becomes difficult to justify another type or brand different from what they have used for many years, and continue to use.

Maybe the "wheel" hasn't been invented yet.

Be safe. Use what the factory uses. Can't go too far wrong.

If price was the object, then why did we choose an Airstream?

Andy

53FlyingCloud

Another "VERY" important issue is "axlel alignment". There is one axle manufacturer, who shall, at the moment, remain nameless, that ships brand new axles, "THAT ARE NOT IN PROPER ALIGNMENT", neither camber or caster.

Wow, that's another reason that would allow someone to ship a "cheap" product.

My grandmother frowns opon that.

Andy
Old 04-10-2006, 05:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What does your grandmother frown on?

Are you answering 53 Flying Cloud's 3 1/2 year old post or are these dates wrong??

Maybe the threads are merged??

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

We have some WBCCI friends who just completed a restoration of their '63 GlobeTrotter. They were on their way to the Santa Maria Rally and had a blow out which did major damage to their plumbing, gas lines, cabinetry & exterior skin. I haven't seen the trailer, just pictures but it was a major warning to us to get new tires ASAP. Our tires have plenty of tread left, but are not new...they could have unseen rot...and the way you usually find out is with a blow-out!

Shari
I know this is an old quote and thread but since someone got it going I have a ??

After hooking up and testing our gas lines yesterday my husband was questioning it's use during travel and I told him that you usually run the gas for the fridge while on the road....after reading this thread I am also a little concerned after hearing major damage was done to the gas lines during a blow out...that equals to me POOF . I have new rubber so that's not a prob...but for others with old tires the question stands..is it safe to travel with you gas on??

I vaguely remember a thread about locking down your tanks with an alternative to the stock set up and forgot to take notes...if anyone can point me in that direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
What does your grandmother frown on?

Are you answering 53 Flying Cloud's 3 1/2 year old post or are these dates wrong??

Maybe the threads are merged??
Carol.

I just added to the previous posts.

My Grandmother frowns on several things, usually the number one issue with her is safety.

But she won't give me a list, until she finishes her 12 pack of beer first.

Hey, and that could take her maybe another hour or so.

You know how these Grandmothers can be, sometimes.

Andy
Old 04-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Good for your grandma! Gotta love 'em. But I hope she fares better after that 12 pack, than mine did. Unfortunately in our family , Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote