Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
A Marathon tire repair

Our OEM Goodyear Marathon tires were six years old and going strong when we replaced them with a new set of Marathon tires three years ago.

I believe our Marathon ST215/75R14 tires have done well for us mainly because I do not drive faster than their maximum speed rating of 65 mph and I meticulously make sure their cold pressure reading is as close to the specified 50 psi as possible, and I continuously monitor them with the PressurePro tire pressure monitoring system.

Last month, a 1" automotive Torx hex washer head machine screw became embedded in the crown of one of our tires. The tire was repairable because the puncture was in the crown, rather than the shoulder or sidewall, and was not larger than 1/4-inch (6mm) in diameter.

I learned that a proper tire repair is done by removing the tire from the wheel, inspecting inside and out for damage, and applying a rubber stem, or plug, to fill the hole AND a patch to seal the inner liner. (A common repair unit is a one-piece unit with a stem and patch portion, sometimes called a mushroom style patch-plug.)

More information on this is seen in the "Patch, plug, or replace?" section of The (nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance.

The full story and more photos, along with how I changed my tire, step-by-step, is seen in my article, "A Marathon tire repair," History Safari Express.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014 1" machine screw in tire.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	254973   Click image for larger version

Name:	1" Torx washerhead machine screw.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	254974  

Name:	Mushroom patch-plug (inside view).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	254975   Click image for larger version

Name:	392 Outside view of patch-plug.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	254976  

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Old 01-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think I would put a new set of tires on it if they are that old. Especially, if you plan on a long trip in the summer. The plug-patch is the way to patch one but if you are on the road and you don't have a spare a simple plug will get you to the tire place. They can pull it out and patch it proper when you get to a tire place. This can be done quicker than changing a tire.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I enjoyed this ...
http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-h...-a-tire-guide/
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I think I would put a new set of tires on it if they are that old. Especially, if you plan on a long trip in the summer. The plug-patch is the way to patch one but if you are on the road and you don't have a spare a simple plug will get you to the tire place. They can pull it out and patch it proper when you get to a tire place. This can be done quicker than changing a tire.

Perry
Thanks, Perry, for your comments.

Based on the way we use our trailer, our tires are not "that old".

Discount Tire's "Trailer Facts" states that the projected life of a normal trailer tire (ST) is 3-5 years and is "limited by time and duty cycles."

We do not go on long trips. Once a month, from November to May, I pull the trailer to one of our local campgrounds within 100 miles of San Diego.

As mentioned in my first post, my previous Marathon tires were 6 years old when they were retired. So I'm hoping my current tires will be fine until they are 5 years old, when I plan to replace them.

Additional information and photos: "A Marathon tire repair" on History Safari Express, seen on Airstream Life's Recommended Blogs.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Regarding SilverGate's comment: "Based on the way we use our trailer, our tires are not 'that old'.

See link to summary of GYM tire failures reported on Tire Failure Poll:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post1339027

Note: The GYM failure rate increases steadily and peaks in year 3; and I suspect the reason that the quantity of GYM failures dropped during year 4 and later is that most people had replaced them before that time. Otherwise the number of failures would probably have continued increasing as the tires aged.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Good for you, hang in there. You are right on regarding repair, in my opinion. The new Airstream recommended air pressure is 65 lb. I believe. I went up to 65 and it works great. I think one should look at the condition of the tire as well as age. I think 10 year old tires are find if well taken care of. My Marathons are doing very well.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
FYI:
I used my OEM Goodyear Marathons on my Hi-Lo for seven years before trading it in for an Airstream. 25' 'Cloud.
GYMs were fine; probably at they're expiry date, but still fine. Of course, I kept the tire pressures at 50, covered the tires from Sun, and used a TPM on the road. I guess that it worked.
My new AS.s are shod with Michelins. should be finer.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Phoenix"s comment:
Note: The GYM failure rate increases steadily and peaks in year 3; and I suspect the reason that the quantity of GYM failures dropped during year 4 and later is that most people had replaced them before that time. Otherwise the number of failures would probably have continued increasing as the tires aged.

raises the important consequence of the number of observations in a population. Maybe there are more GYM problems because there are sooo many of them and there are so few Michelin LT problems because there are soo few of them at this time?
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Phoenix"s comment:

raises the important consequence of the number of observations in a population. Maybe there are more GYM problems because there are sooo many of them and there are so few Michelin LT problems because there are soo few of them at this time?
I would't ever own a GYM tire if they were given to me free.
The only tire I ever owned that had to be aired as frequently as I filled my gas tank. The only tire I ever owned that I had a massive thread separation that turned into a nightmare. The only tire I ever owned that gave heartburn trying to keep at 65 mph or under. The suggestion that there are less reported problems with the Michelin LT because there might be less of them on the road is not even worthy of a comment.
And Airstream should know better than put those crap substandard tires on these expensive trailers.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Airstream trailer spare tire removal

During the process of changing my tire, I looked up under the front of the trailer to remove the spare tire and I started to remove the nut from the bolt that was closest to me on the handle that supports the spare tire... this is the hard way, as seen in my post, "A Marathon tire repair." Then, I remembered that it is easier to just pull out the nearby cotter pin, while holding up the handle and removing the bolt.

Colonial Airstream's Patrick Botticelli makes removing the spare tire look easy!

Old 01-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Airstream Tire Safety Information

Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Here's a pic of the screw in our GYM last summer! Put about 1000 miles on it after the fix. Due for a new set this spring. Thinking we will continue with the Marathons although haven't ruled out something different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	255089  
Old 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I would't ever own a GYM tire if they were given to me free.
The only tire I ever owned that had to be aired as frequently as I filled my gas tank. The only tire I ever owned that I had a massive thread separation that turned into a nightmare. The only tire I ever owned that gave heartburn trying to keep at 65 mph or under. The suggestion that there are less reported problems with the Michelin LT because there might be less of them on the road is not even worthy of a comment.
And Airstream should know better than put those crap substandard tires on these expensive trailers.
My sentiments exactly.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
We have driven our Airstream from one end of the country and back several times. During the many trips ee have suffered five trailer failures. Tho original tires on the trailer were Goodyear Marathons, only one went bad but they were made in Canada. A friend has a 23' and got 7 years out of theirs--also made in Canada. Since then we have gone through 4 tire failures even though most were less than 3 years old. Two new ones blew, one on the way from Michigan to Florida, the other on the way home. The tires were kept at the recommended pressure (checked daily) and driven 60 to a maximum of 65 mph. The only common denominator is that they were all made in China. Check to see where your original tires were made and where your new ones came from--it's on the sidewall. After the trip to Florida, we changed to Michelins, Three years have passed, we're never going back.
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Attention: Woosch

Your tire photo shows irregularity in tread that indicates radial belt has probably slipped, and tread separation may in your future. See "Thank You" message sent to you, which contains more details.

Strongly suggest that this tire be replaced ASAP.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Sorry I was thinking they were 6 yrs old not three. My bad.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Thanks, Perry, for your comments.

Based on the way we use our trailer, our tires are not "that old".

Discount Tire's "Trailer Facts" states that the projected life of a normal trailer tire (ST) is 3-5 years and is "limited by time and duty cycles."

We do not go on long trips. Once a month, from November to May, I pull the trailer to one of our local campgrounds within 100 miles of San Diego.

As mentioned in my first post, my previous Marathon tires were 6 years old when they were retired. So I'm hoping my current tires will be fine until they are 5 years old, when I plan to replace them.

Additional information and photos: "A Marathon tire repair" on History Safari Express, seen on Airstream Life's Recommended Blogs.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
SilverGate's tire repair was properly done following standards developed by all tire industry vested parties.
Meaning a group including tire manufacturers, tire repair manufacturers plus automotive and trailer manufacturers agree on proper repair products and procedure to safely restore the tire's performance capabilities.
The discussion of the tire's age at time of repair is another factor and the trailer tire industry does offer guidelines.
SilverGate claims the original 6 year old tires were replaced and the replacement tires were 3 years old when this puncture was repaired.
According to Carlisle Tires | Trailer Tires | | ATV & UTV Tires | Lawn & Garden Tires | Carlisle Belts > Media> Downloads > Trailer Tires, it is recommended that a trailer tire has a life of 3-5 years and claims that at 3 years of age a trailer tire has lost about 1/3 of it's strength.
This is why beginning at 3 years this owner should question just how much to invest keeping those tires in operation. The repair is cheap compared to replacing the tire which can be done at a more convenient time either soon or much later if the owner chooses.
If one tire is replaced I think both same side tires on tandem axles should be changed if not all tires.
Another important factor is if the punctured tire ran low of air for any length of time! Sidewall heat can develop from under inflation and weaken the tire also/or the other same side tire in a tandem can overload by carrying more weight which now has weakened it creating a separate potential future safety issue.
This is why 4 years tends to be suggested as maximum age for a trailer tire regardless of remaining tread-life. Having the trailer in locales with more sun-light or heat is known to shorten tire life/strength.
Should a trailer tire be pushed to perform beyond it's recommended operational life is a gamble. A trailer tire blow-out can cause damage to the rim and/or body of the trailer and usually occurs during leisure time for the RV owner or during working hours for a business.
Do we really want this stress at an inconvenient time that some minor preparation could have overcome?
arstrmlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arstrmlvr View Post
SilverGate's tire repair was properly done following standards developed by all tire industry vested parties.
Meaning a group including tire manufacturers, tire repair manufacturers plus automotive and trailer manufacturers agree on proper repair products and procedure to safely restore the tire's performance capabilities.
The discussion of the tire's age at time of repair is another factor and the trailer tire industry does offer guidelines.
SilverGate claims the original 6 year old tires were replaced and the replacement tires were 3 years old when this puncture was repaired.
According to Carlisle Tires | Trailer Tires | | ATV & UTV Tires | Lawn & Garden Tires | Carlisle Belts > Media> Downloads > Trailer Tires, it is recommended that a trailer tire has a life of 3-5 years and claims that at 3 years of age a trailer tire has lost about 1/3 of it's strength.
This is why beginning at 3 years this owner should question just how much to invest keeping those tires in operation. The repair is cheap compared to replacing the tire which can be done at a more convenient time either soon or much later if the owner chooses.
If one tire is replaced I think both same side tires on tandem axles should be changed if not all tires.
Another important factor is if the punctured tire ran low of air for any length of time! Sidewall heat can develop from under inflation and weaken the tire also/or the other same side tire in a tandem can overload by carrying more weight which now has weakened it creating a separate potential future safety issue.
This is why 4 years tends to be suggested as maximum age for a trailer tire regardless of remaining tread-life. Having the trailer in locales with more sun-light or heat is known to shorten tire life/strength.
Should a trailer tire be pushed to perform beyond it's recommended operational life is a gamble. A trailer tire blow-out can cause damage to the rim and/or body of the trailer and usually occurs during leisure time for the RV owner or during working hours for a business.
Do we really want this stress at an inconvenient time that some minor preparation could have overcome?
Our 2013' 30' International had about 14,000 miles and 3 seasons on it when we had a massive thread separation at 65 Mph on I-4. About made my hearth stop. Upon inspection in the tire shop 2 additional tires were ready to do the same. The damage to the AS over $ 9,300 and all the hassle to get it done. Had to drive the trailer to Jackson Ctr. etc,etc. I maintained air pressure in the GM tires religiously and for the most part kept at 65 mph on the road. Needles to say I witched to Michelins.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote