Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
What happened to that poor tire is obvious if you know how to read the signs. That tire came out of the factory, proud, shiny and new. It was told it would live an exciting life on someone's pride and joy, seeing the world and contributing to peace, love, and understanding. Then one day, it went online and found this forum. I suffered the slings and arrows of constant criticism, was told that it was a safety hazard and Worse. It tried to soldier on, but eventually, succumbed to depression, and decided to end it all.

A moment of silence, if you will.

Mike

You've been jonesing on de-caf this past week, haven't you?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:23 AM   #42
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
I'm new at trailering, but to me, I can't get my brain wrapped around Airstream pushing product out the door worth 10's and 100's of thousand dollars with 'explosive' rubber.

Maybe I'm wrong but, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Popeye

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorththree View Post
I'm new at trailering, but to me, I can't get my brain wrapped around Airstream pushing product out the door worth 10's and 100's of thousand dollars with 'explosive' rubber.

Popeye
Two things. I don't think any of their trailers cost $200,000+, and many people get 2-3 years out of the current GYM tires. I keep an eye on mine, like I do all my tires, and so far they are doing very well after 1 year.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #44
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

Popeye
It isn't that simple .....

If you buy a trailer with a tire that is rated for a load of greater than the trailer capacity and the tire is only rated for speed of 65 MPH or less. (ST Tire) And the speed is stated so on the tire and in the owner's manual. The owner drives at speeds greater than the tire was designed for or in a manner (under inflated) that that the tire is not capable of handling, the tire fails. It was designed to fail as the use was beyond the design.

Actually like life, eventually all tires fail. And going past that point is an issue as well. The thread starter states the failed tire in the picture is over 5 years in age. Unlike passenger vehicles, RVs (in this case travel trailers) do not see the same use. Many passenger vehicles get tires that have a load capacity at 150 to 200 percent of the actual load. Then there is use. Some trailers are used a lot and the tires are replaced when the tread is worn out. Many RVs sit for long periods of time and those tires are replaced based on age. (Or until they fail because the user didn't replace based on age)

There is a trend to installing better tires. However as I see it the industry is in transition on this. Price sensitive RVs get tires that just meet a load spec. These are ST tires and they have a lower speed rating. Higher end RVs may get better tires because the market will step up and pay the price. However the market is flexible to one buyer. If you want to pay more for a tire be the educated buyer. Negotiate that desire into the sale. Either as a lower price for the existing tires or having the tires you want installed. However overdriving a tire is asking for issues. And just because they are round and black does not mean the application is the same as other vehicles.

BTW there isn't such thing as explosive rubber. Rubber does not explode. A tire can experience a rapid change in pressure or what ever the term. It just does not explode.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #45
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:

Popeye

Most vehicle manufacturers do not warrant the tires and haven't got a good system to see if the tires perform. Without that system, they are in the dark.

Besides, even the tires that most agree aren't performing well, aren't failing over 95% (maybe 99%?) of the time. I'll bet there are other items that the trailer (and RV) manufacturers have a bigger issue with.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:39 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Just bought a 2017 FC 23D. They always try and upsell extended warranty packages.

I did purchase a tire warranty package for $500, they added it to the loan. Regular insurance covers any damage caused if the tires blew and damaged the trailer.

Tire package covers trailer tires as well as TV tires, for any issues whatsoever. They will even come to where you are to replace.

I plan to keep the stock 15 GYM and will replace once they wear down.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:

Popeye
Just another thing to be underwhelmed by, along with the crappy lug nuts, and the Parallax single stage charger/converter, and slapdash construction for the things that are hidden behind panels in your trailer.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

BTW there isn't such thing as explosive rubber. Rubber does not explode. A tire can experience a rapid change in pressure or what ever the term. It just does not explode.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

I know I will get BLASTED for this, but years ago sitting around at a happy hour, we heard an EXPLOSION and found the spare tire on the back of someone's trailer had indeed EXPLODED. We were in Florida and the sun was hot but it did BLOW up.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

If you buy a trailer with a tire that is rated for a load of greater than the trailer capacity and the tire is only rated for speed of 65 MPH or less. (ST Tire) And the speed is stated so on the tire and in the owner's manual. The owner drives at speeds greater than the tire was designed for or in a manner (under inflated) that that the tire is not capable of handling, the tire fails. It was designed to fail as the use was beyond the design.

Actually like life, eventually all tires fail. And going past that point is an issue as well. The thread starter states the failed tire in the picture is over 5 years in age. Unlike passenger vehicles, RVs (in this case travel trailers) do not see the same use. Many passenger vehicles get tires that have a load capacity at 150 to 200 percent of the actual load. Then there is use. Some trailers are used a lot and the tires are replaced when the tread is worn out. Many RVs sit for long periods of time and those tires are replaced based on age. (Or until they fail because the user didn't replace based on age)

There is a trend to installing better tires. However as I see it the industry is in transition on this. Price sensitive RVs get tires that just meet a load spec. These are ST tires and they have a lower speed rating. Higher end RVs may get better tires because the market will step up and pay the price. However the market is flexible to one buyer. If you want to pay more for a tire be the educated buyer. Negotiate that desire into the sale. Either as a lower price for the existing tires or having the tires you want installed. However overdriving a tire is asking for issues. And just because they are round and black does not mean the application is the same as other vehicles.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Tires don't explode when you exceed the speed rating by 5 or 10 mph. If they did no one I work with would be at the office today.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #50
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Tires don't explode when you exceed the speed rating by 5 or 10 mph. If they did no one I work with would be at the office today.
Well, they will, it just takes longer than if you travel - say - 30 mph faster.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote