Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
3 Goodyear Marathons failed, found before disaster.

The tires were the original mid '06 GYM's, still had good tread, no sidewall cracks to speak of. I do not have the full history on the trailer, we have owned it since Jan. '10. I have towed it just over 400 miles, air pressure 65psi on my NAPA truck gage. The PO had replaced the LF with a Maxxis, unknown reason. Novice buyer, me, didn't know any indepth details about the in's and out's of our tires.

I made a compression wheel chock from a pressure treated 4X4 and a 12" X 1/2" carriage bolt, it fit quite nicely at home, mission accomplished.

I need to thank Airforums members for a series of posts about the Dometic recall. We had it done last thursday afternoon and drove to our campsite at Santee SC, S.P.

The freshly made chocks would not fit any either side of the trailer. I could not get a nut to thread onto either carriage bolt, too short. Notice the almost 2" of exposed thread on the New Tire pic. Dismissed as a fluke, to be explained later. Put wedge chocks in place.

Friday AM, closer inspection of the new compression chocks, still no fit.

I started rubbing my hands on the tires and the bulges were rampant.

All 3 remaining GYM's had bulging tread.

Wife starts making calls and I roll out all my hardware and I removed 3 wheels right at our campsite. My new favorite jack turns out to be classic screw jacks from 3/4 and 1 ton Pickup's. I used two and by installing the spare, I was able to get all 3 bad tires off and we beelined to Myrtle Beach SC to Black's Tire that had 4 new GYM's in stock and no waiting. They had them installed before the paperwork was done.

Why more GYM's? It was the Holiday weekend, options were limited, the other brands were complete unknowns. But we completed our getaway w/o any body panel damage or worse. My home made compression chocks showed the problem, I just took a day to understand what they were saying. I will be installing the 4th GYM and switching the Maxxis to spare duty. The new GYM's are late April '10 production.

Andy, as I read in your multiple posts about placing the jack under the verticle plate, worked just fine, thanks.

The picture with the new tires is in my driveway, trailer is not level and the opposite side is actually on jacks, need to get 4th tire mounted.

My message after the ramble, run your hands on your tires and feel for bulges. Consider raising a tire with a jack and spinning it and look for bulges in the tread, mine was obvious after removing the wheels.

We're making plans for our next getaways, so we must be doing something right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Tires.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	103771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Tires.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	103772  

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Oy vey. While our trailer is only 25', we have the same year, model and tires. I'll check mine closer... thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
GCinSC2,
Thanks for the information. We have basically the same trailer as yours, but one year older ('06). I have Canadian made GYMs on ours and they are still the factory tires. Mine have the normal sidewall bulges, but I have never noticed any bulges in the tread face. I will add it to my pre-flight check list. Do you have any close-up photos of the problem areas? I would also be interested to know if the bulging tires were Canadian or Chinese made.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
My message after the ramble, run your hands on your tires and feel for bulges. Consider raising a tire with a jack and spinning it and look for bulges in the tread, mine was obvious after removing the wheels.
This is very important, and the voice of painful experience: Don't use your bare hands to run over the tread of your tires. There can be sharp road debris, glass, nails, screws, etc, in the tread, and I've gashed the palms of my hands on the protruding steel belts from tires that had started to separate and the wire was coming out of the tire.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
From time to time I will raise a wheel off the ground, usually just ramp the other wheel up till the first one leave the ground. Put a board near the tread and spin the tire while watching the distance from the tread to the board. Any "bumps" will show up. I also watch for wiggle side to side as the tire spins. Often an indicator of a failing belt..
As mentioned in the post above. If using your hands for a quick check use gloves. That steel wire really hurts.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Dump the Marathons..

I bought my Safari 30 new in the summer of 06 and it had Marathons on it. I wanted to like these tires, they seemed to tow nice, seemed to wear nice and even. Then, when I did my first bearing repack I found tread bulges that encompassed 1/2 of the tire, on three tires!

I wanted to swap out the chinese aluminum wheels they were putting on the safaris at the time and put on some Alcoas anyway. I put Maxxis tires on there and have had nothing but three years of bliss. I do rotatate front to back, and really keep an eye on my air pressures but I have now 34k miles on these and they look like they can do another 15k or so. No cupping, no uneven wear. Just a great tire.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
The gloves and runout suggestions are on target, no arguement. I haven't stabbed a hand with a tire wire or other but it doesn't take much imagination to understand the potential big ouch with bare hands, thanks. I do not have a solution to this issue, or even what I would recommend to prevent this, it has been discussed by members with lots more rivets than I have. I remember seeing China on the tires, but they are all gone now to confirm

I think the big message is twofold.

1. Check for bulges, you decide how.
2. The bulges happened in less than 100 miles in my case. The AS DID NOT have any tank load and it was only loaded for two for 4 days, not packed to the rafters.

I feel lucky that it only cost new tires and a lost vacation day. The better half took it in stride and the future planning was a nice way to say that this was a learning experience with several $$$ associated with it.

I asked my tiresmith at Blacks' for his reason, he owns a MOHO and he chalked it up to extended sitting. I have run some old tires in my days and NEVER run into anything like what I have read here on Airforums about tire issues on some of our fleet. Are 16's and L/T tires the way to go? again been discussed and you make your choices or plans. I didn't have much time for choices.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
04 Goodyear Marathons - a near disaster!

Just got back from a 1000 mile trip to southern KY and on the way south I had a tire blow up on my 65 vintage Safari. It was very scary when I looked in the side mirror and saw the tire go - smoke and all. They are 8 year old Goodyear Marathons load range D. The tread let loose from the tire. I was able to move to side of the xpress way just as the tire let go and dropped down to the skid rod. Wow! am I glad the skid rod is there. No damage ! Put on spare and made it into Dayton, Ohio and replace both tires with load range E and inflated to 65 lbs. (max is 80). My recommendation is to update tires sooner than 8 years or you might have to go through my experience.....tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Sad story...

We had a GY Marathon blow on the way home from Cincinnati to Augusta on Monday. It is shredded as is several inches of the under wrap at the wheel well. The aluminum trim is slightly bent and pulled away too. The aluminum skin is not damaged.
Thankfully we were in sight of an exit when my husband felt the vibration.
We have a plastic ramp we purchased when we had a Class C that made the tire change a snap. Pretty much the easiest tire change my husband has ever done.

Now we have to decide what to do about our tires. We think they may be original from 2004. We purchased the unit used in 2009. At first inspection they all look to be in good shape. I will relay the bulge info to my husband.
I think we need to replace them with something different because my husband does not drive 65mph and I have read that that is the max speed for these tires on other posts.

He called his favorite tire shop and they have the GYM and something called a Carlisle which they said had the same rating. Has anyone tried the Carlisle tires?

Now I need to check into repairing the damage.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Jackson , Missouri
Go with the Maxxis, they trail great and hold up better than the GYM's. Carlisle's are OK just don't run them too long. Some boat haulers call them "may pop's".
Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We got nearly 30,000 miles on our 11-05 Canadian manufactured GYMs on our '06 Airstream before we had a blow out. I don't drive 65 either, but keep a close eye on the sidewall temps at every stop (about every three hours) and keep the maximum psi in them. I have another 1,000 or so miles on the remaining three. I plan to purchase new tires all around before next camping season, but haven't decided what to replace them with. I think I have had good luck with the GYMs and am not ready to jump on the lynch Good Year bandwagon just yet. I am not afraid to go back with GYMs, but not sure if another brand would have longer life/better performance. If I change brands I will most likely go with the same Michelin tires that Rich Lhur put on his provided he has had good luck with them.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Oh my gosh! Summer is here and the GYM discussions are back. I'm glad I've got Maxxis tires on our Airstream and won't be contributing to these horror stories -- again...
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird's Nest View Post
We had a GY Marathon blow on the way home from Cincinnati to Augusta on Monday. It is shredded as is several inches of the under wrap at the wheel well. The aluminum trim is slightly bent and pulled away too. The aluminum skin is not damaged.
Thankfully we were in sight of an exit when my husband felt the vibration.
We have a plastic ramp we purchased when we had a Class C that made the tire change a snap. Pretty much the easiest tire change my husband has ever done.

Now we have to decide what to do about our tires. We think they may be original from 2004. We purchased the unit used in 2009. At first inspection they all look to be in good shape. I will relay the bulge info to my husband.
I think we need to replace them with something different because my husband does not drive 65mph and I have read that that is the max speed for these tires on other posts.

He called his favorite tire shop and they have the GYM and something called a Carlisle which they said had the same rating. Has anyone tried the Carlisle tires?

Now I need to check into repairing the damage.
For whatever it's worth, after replacing 2 complete sets of load range D GYM's in 3 years due to blowouts and tread separations, I bought a set of
Carlisle LR "E". They cost less than the Goodyears and are a stronger tire.

We pull a 2000 30' Excella, I keep the pressure at the 80# recommended. We've pulled these so far around 10,000 miles, and are currently on our way to Alaska.

So far no problems.There will be no more Goodyear products in my future!

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Into my third season with Maxxis load range "E"'s. No more tire troubles with lots of hot weather towing.
The common thread with tire failures with GYM's and no name load range "D" ST tires is freeway driving in hot weather. Combine the two and you will have tires problems sooner rather than later.