Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Some people have had great success with GYMs; I am not one of them with three major blowouts on two different trailers due to tread separations to well maintained tires. Many of the aforementioned owners will declare or intimate that those who have had problems with GYMs are guilty of poor maintenance and poor basic tire care. And yet, it seems there is a preponderance of bad experiences with GYMs, even though they seem to have been maintained well by their owners. One does not hear or read of passenger tires that fail so regularly. Not since the Ford Explorer / Firestone issue.

What I don't understand is why so many GYM owners who've had problems with these tires, will go back to GYMs, even after terrible and damaging blowouts. Perhaps it is the availability of GYMs at every Walmart across the country. I think well made and well designed tires do not have problems with tread separation such as the GYMs.

Now, having said all of this, I have installed Maxxis tires on the 'Stream". A tire that has been well received on many RV Forums. (Another well received tire is the TowMaster.) I am hoping to have a long and uneventful time with these tires, much as I've had with the tires on the truck or my cars. I've also invested in a tpms that monitors tire pressure as well as tempurature.

Rig: '97 30' Limited
Towed by: '13 Silverado 2500 Duramax

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
So far, so good.

Hi, after about 3 to 4 years on my original Canadian Marathons, I noticed two on the street side with bubbles, one bubble each. One bubble was on the outside and about 3" diameter. The other bubble was on the inside and was oblong, maybe 1 1/2" X 3"s. Goodyear would not warranty them; They say I ran over something. [B.S. excuse to not warranty them] Anyway I bought two more Marathons. These were Chinese made. So my curb side and spare are original Canadian Marathons, and my street side are Chinese Marathons. I have not had any other problems, I drive at mostly 60 to 65 MPH, and keep them at 65 lbs pressure. This last weekend, on the way up we saw a few vehicles on the side of the road with flat tires. On the way home we saw several vehicles, one fifth wheeler, with flat tires. We actually saw two vehicles moving to the right of the FWY as their tires just came apart. I say we dodged the bullet, no flats for me. I do check my tires, visually, at home and at all rest stops, gas stops, and camp grounds. My tires to date don't have any cracks in them. People who have the same year trailer as mine, or newer, have replaced their tires due to cracks. The big question is: Why do some of these tires last so long without problems and others crack up or fall apart in 2 years or less?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote