Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
That would be great to see. Can you export as CSV maybe?

Do you have the Firestone Destination's on there? I use those now on my TV after having sidewall failures on Michelins on my previous 3/4 ton truck (yes, tires other than GYM fail too )
I'll try again, but it will have to be later this evening.

Yes, two Firestone tires were on the list, viz Destination LE 2 (108T XL), and Destination A/T (108S XL). Both are 235/75R15. The initial, primary objective was tires that could carry the weight, and didn’t get into the fine sort of analyzing tread patterns which might be too "aggressive".
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I re-copied my spreadsheet, and "pasted special" into a new spreadsheet with "values only", i.e., no formulas. The file is only 18kb. It didn't help with the upload. This is the error message that I get. Gremlins, I guess.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please
inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Michelin

I had my new Michelin LTX 15" tires installed today on my stock AS 15" wheels. I had the DILL TPMS system installed too. I am so happy to have these new tires in place of the GYMs. My GYMs with around 3,000 miles already had so many bizarre deformations of the sidewall, I could never trust them. Interestingly, all these new Michelins have uniform, smooth sidewalls, much like every tire I have ever owned in the past 45 years of driving.
I went for the LTX 235/75R15 with XL load range of 2183 pounds. This gives plenty of margin on my 25 Flying Cloud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	michelin15.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	163079  
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Okay! I wasn't going to do this, but I can't resist! It looks like we're clones!

Other than the TPMS, I can just say "ditto" to all you said!

I also have a pic of just one of the old tires - severe wear on the outside edge - and found both axles have a slight bow in them, almost as if they had been used as jacking points in the past (and maybe are thus putting a "toe-in" on the tires? All were worn similarly). I think that's the next project!

But, I'm pretty pleased with the new look and ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	163082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1367.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	163083  

OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #125
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Okay! I wasn't going to do this, but I can't resist! It looks like we're clones!

Other than the TPMS, I can just say "ditto" to all you said!

I also have a pic of just one of the old tires - severe wear on the outside edge - and found both axles have a slight bow in them, almost as if they had been used as jacking points in the past (and maybe are thus putting a "toe-in" on the tires? All were worn similarly). I think that's the next project!

But, I'm pretty pleased with the new look and ride.
How old are those tires, how many miles, and how long have you been using them anywhere near to that condition?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Hi Kamiak - all the answers you ask are unknown - except the last - "how long...."

I've had the AS now about three weeks. The PO said the tires were "about 6 or 7 years old..." and I knew their condition (while I could see outside wear, no sidewall cracks or indications of any other problems, etc.) when I made the purchase; but they were sound enough to take a 130 mile up-and-back shakedown to Glacier just before the 4th of July. We were satisfied with that exercise and found little not to like, including the ride and how it pulls with the hitch system I installed.

The tires are TOYO and while I could replace them with like kind, like others, I want to have confidence in the running gear when I'm driving down the road. BUT, the condition of the tires were an obvious priority, and that led me to this thread several weeks ago (and every other one about tires and wheels...) and all that led to the Michelin decision. There is a wealth of information, as you know, and I'm thankful for the collective wisdom of the forum. Thus, I thought the picture of the tire might be of help in the discussion as well as to get thoughts about what might be causing it -- thus, the observation about the axles. Something caused the tires to wear like that (toe-in) and I sure don't want to continue it with the new ones.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Photo seems to indicate under-inflation and out-of-balance conditions. Also, were Toyo's radials, or bias ply tires?

If you still have the old tire(s), I'd take them to a tire shop; and they can give you a better idea if an alignment is indicated. Alternately, they may be better able to evaluate the photo; if tires are no longer available.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #128
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
It was Costco who did the switch, and both one of their techs and the manager who looked them over with me. They, too, wondered about inflation (50 lbs) but then hadn't a clue about why they would all be worn on the outside edge -- the "toe-in" -- except the possibility about the axles (the slight upward bow on each); alignment was never mentioned. Oh, they were radials. I no longer have the tires - their disposal was part of the cost - but took pictures of each and we went over them all. The picture in the earlier post shows the worst tire.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you suspect wheel alignment problems, axles are adjusted by bending them. Airstream has a recommended list of alignment shops that can do this, as implied in a post by "Inland Andy":

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...1-a-91478.html
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #130
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post

That picture looks like the camber is not correct.

A toe in would also have a feathered edge at the worn areas. It may have and the pic is not that detailed.

Under inflation should show wear at both outer edges of the tire.

Out of balance (and to a lesser extent bad shocks) would show up as a cupping. It could be anywhere on the tire even the place where that wear shows up. And the worn areas would not be even around the circumference.

All Airstream axles have a bend in the axle when they were made. Just because the axle tube has a bend in it does not mean the bend is causing that issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action