Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member
 
1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 139
Tires

Okay, so I am ready to pull the trigger on 4 Michelin LTX M/S2 tires for my 31 ft AS, factory wt 5550#. Any last minute reason I should think otherwise? Getting them installed/out the door at an independent dealer for $681 minus the $70 Michelin "rebate".
Vacillated back and forth between Maxiss and Michelin. Settle on Michelin based on good feedback here.
__________________

__________________
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #58
The Silver Bullitt
 
Xenomorph's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTurnConn View Post
Okay, so I am ready to pull the trigger on 4 Michelin LTX M/S2 tires for my 31 ft AS, factory wt 5550#. Any last minute reason I should think otherwise? Getting them installed/out the door at an independent dealer for $681 minus the $70 Michelin "rebate".
Vacillated back and forth between Maxiss and Michelin. Settle on Michelin based on good feedback here.
You have 15" rims? What's your GVWR? I'm not an expert by any means but you may be cutting it close. 1985 x 4 = 7940lbs
__________________

__________________
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 408
Ultimately, you have to feel comfortable and safe with your choice. I would read Andrew T's post on this thread again or send him a PM. The load rating on that tire is 2185 not 1985. Besides that, what is a margin of safety on a ST tire at any load rating? The failures reported on this forum and many other RV forums were most likely not from overload. Read them yourself. I chos e the Michelins because I would feel more comfortable with them even if I was closer to the max rating.
Kos
__________________
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member
 
1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
You have 15" rims? What's your GVWR? I'm not an expert by any means but you may be cutting it close. 1985 x 4 = 7940lbs
GVWR is 8500. I don't think I pack that much "stuff" in the AS.
__________________
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #61
The Silver Bullitt
 
Xenomorph's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Ultimately, you have to feel comfortable and safe with your choice. I would read Andrew T's post on this thread again or send him a PM. The load rating on that tire is 2185 not 1985. Besides that, what is a margin of safety on a ST tire at any load rating? The failures reported on this forum and many other RV forums were most likely not from overload. Read them yourself. I chos e the Michelins because I would feel more comfortable with them even if I was closer to the max rating.
Kos
I think the sidewall says 1985lbs at 50 psi and then also rates it at a 108 which comes to 2200lbs. Not sure which one is more correct. I will take a pic of mine tomorrow and post it to make sure.
__________________
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #62
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
There is no margin of safety on ST trailer tires. They take a crappy made tire and overrate and over pressure the tire. That is probably one reason that they explode with such force.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Ultimately, you have to feel comfortable and safe with your choice. I would read Andrew T's post on this thread again or send him a PM. The load rating on that tire is 2185 not 1985. Besides that, what is a margin of safety on a ST tire at any load rating? The failures reported on this forum and many other RV forums were most likely not from overload. Read them yourself. I chos e the Michelins because I would feel more comfortable with them even if I was closer to the max rating.
Kos
__________________
perryg114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #63
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
There is no margin of safety on ST trailer tires. They take a crappy made tire and overrate and over pressure the tire. That is probably one reason that they explode with such force.

Perry
And if you want the loudest explosion get a china E rated tire.
__________________
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #64
Rivet Master
 
Scott J-24's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
And if you want the loudest explosion get a china E rated tire.
can you say BOOM
__________________
Scott, Becky & Heidi (our standard poodle and travel companion)
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member
 
Whirlaway's Avatar
 
2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 182
Basic question? Tires 101

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!

First off thank you for starting this thread since I need new tires on my
AS 27. I have some beginnings of dry rot on one side wall.

However after reading all these posts with great interest, I just went outside and looked at the factory ST tires. The first set of numbers:
ST 225.

I have been clicking on all the links and no where does it explain how
a ST 225; can become a LT 235? Does this number designate model or a of tire size?

Could someone kindly explain the difference between these two major points through out this post. I would like to pick the most correct tire for my AS 27. After reading the posts I am very confused trying to pick up on the "little" differences.

  1. ST 225 vs. LT 235 does this designate a size or model?
  2. LT 235/75R 15 vs. LT235/75R15 XL
Many thanks,
Lin.
__________________
Life Is Not A Dress Rehersal
It's okay to have too much fun
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #66
RLS
Rivet Master
 
RLS's Avatar

 
2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!

First off thank you for starting this thread since I need new tires on my
AS 27. I have some beginnings of dry rot on one side wall.

However after reading all these posts with great interest, I just went outside and looked at the factory ST tires. The first set of numbers:
ST 225.

I have been clicking on all the links and no where does it explain how
a ST 225; can become a LT 235? Does this number designate model or a of tire size?

  1. ST 225 vs. LT 235 does this designate a size or model?
  2. LT 235/75R 15 vs. LT235/75R15 XL
Many thanks,
Lin.
ST stands for trailer tire (speed rating of 65 MPH), LT means light truck. 225 is the width to height ratio of the tire. A 225 is narrower than the 235. XL means extra load capacity of the tire. JMHO
__________________
Julia & Bob
W/ Deedee & Boo
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member
 
Whirlaway's Avatar
 
2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 182
Now that was so simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
ST stands for trailer tire (speed rating of 65 MPH), LT means light truck. 225 is the width to height ratio of the tire. A 225 is narrower than the 235. XL means extra load capacity of the tire. JMHO

Thanks!
__________________
Life Is Not A Dress Rehersal
It's okay to have too much fun
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #68
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,125
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
I believe that 225 (or 235) is the width of the tire in millimeters and 75 is the aspect ratio or the percent of the width that equals the sidewall height.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #69
RLS
Rivet Master
 
RLS's Avatar

 
2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I believe that 225 (or 235) is the width of the tire in millimeters and 75 is the aspect ratio or the percent of the width that equals the sidewall height.

That does make more sense. Thanks for the input
__________________
Julia & Bob
W/ Deedee & Boo
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #70
The Silver Bullitt
 
Xenomorph's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!

First off thank you for starting this thread since I need new tires on my
AS 27. I have some beginnings of dry rot on one side wall.

However after reading all these posts with great interest, I just went outside and looked at the factory ST tires. The first set of numbers:
ST 225.

I have been clicking on all the links and no where does it explain how
a ST 225; can become a LT 235? Does this number designate model or a of tire size?

Could someone kindly explain the difference between these two major points through out this post. I would like to pick the most correct tire for my AS 27. After reading the posts I am very confused trying to pick up on the "little" differences.

  1. ST 225 vs. LT 235 does this designate a size or model?
  2. LT 235/75R 15 vs. LT235/75R15 XL
Many thanks,
Lin.
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options in the 225 size. 235 is 10mm or .4 inches wider on the tread size. Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airstream Tire Failure Poll Phoenix Tires 146 10-11-2016 10:27 PM
Truck & Trailer Weights nickmeloy Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 6 04-02-2014 11:02 AM
Tire mount under front of trailer CJ of Okla Tires 2 09-09-2011 09:50 AM
A sad end to a wonderful trailer rmk110761 Airstream History 9 02-15-2011 10:12 AM
TowMaster range E trailer tire tvanwave Tires 8 01-14-2011 05:50 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.