Ventura , California
Thanks for the input Andy

Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Is that Continental tire a trailer tire or what?

Perry
The Vanco is a European spec commercial tire, designed for vehicles like the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter.

An interesting choice. I thought about it myself, but went with Yokohama Geolander H/Ts (LT215/75/15) at Andy Thomson's suggestion.

We're very happy with the Yokohamas on the Overlander. Smooth ride, good handling, and they don't seep air like the old Duros.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #45
The Silver Bullitt

1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
I'm about to pull the trigger on these Michelin's. How important is it that I roll with some metal valve stems on a 50 psi tire?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The rubber valve stems are supposed to be good up to 65psi. They are made in china now so I went with the brass colored metal ones, they are good to around 100psi.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #47
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Now that the LT 235's are no longer available the 235 XL tire carries 50 PSI. I think this is the same tire as the old LT tire. The sidewalls feel the same, the old XL was softer.

Beyond that they do have considerably more traction in a panic stop, espessially if it happens to be wet.

I hope this helps.

Andy
This is what we're running on the Tin Pickle - quiet, smooth and lots of traction.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Some of the differences are slipping away from me with age but, here goes anyway.

P designates passenger service. LT designates light truck service.

LT tires will have a heavier, more substantial bead area and should have a component called a bead apex & chafer that fill any voids where air can collect plus more surface area to wrap the plies around and tie the tire together. The LR (load range) of an LT is typically a "C" or "D" whereas a passenger is a "B".

LT tires may have slightly heavier carcass plies and usually have slightly heavier belts. They are engineered to do more work.

LT tires are qualified to 80mph in USA vs. trailer tires to 65mph. This is by DOT (Dept of Trans). If both tires will carry approx the same load but, at significantly higher speeds, then you know which is the best engineered tire. LT over trailer.

Passenger tires being certified to 106 mph has nothing to do with carrying a load. It simply means it should hold together at speed and carry the load on the sidewall. An LT should carry a heavier load at 80mph which is quite adequate for a trailer/work vehicle.

When I bought my trailer, it had LR "C" light truck tires, 235/75r15 mounted and they worked quite well (approx 2100lbs load rating). When they aged out, I replaced them with 225/75r15 trailer tires LR "D" (approx 2500lbs load rating.

I will probably go back to the LT tires this time for the following reasons; (1) strong bead area & heavier belt package than trailer (2) approx 1/2" taller tire at the spindel which gives more rear end clearance (3) will try to get a load rating equivalent to a "D" or approx 2500 lbs per tires, (4) 80mph engineered plus, (5) no new rims required.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #49
mdh
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Erie , Colorado
Rejected

Here is a new twist. After reading everything I could find on switching to the Michelin LTX M/S2 XL 235/75/15 for my 2008 25 foot Safari from my Marathon ST 225/75/15, I scheduled an appointment with Costco, went in and was told they would not do the switch-for liability reasons. I explained my reasoning, but was told no. I left and did the same with Discount Tire, went in, and was rejected again-liability reason. Since I needed tires I gave up the fight and am now sitting on new Carlisle tires and am hoping for the best.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Any time you want to change tire types or sizes you need to go to an indepentent tire store run by a person capable of independent thought.

Unfortunately you will never find that in a big box or chain store.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Carry in loose wheels and when they tell you what they go on make something up. They go on an old Chevy pickup truck for instance. The kid at Sam's club gave me crap when I made the mistake of telling them the tires go on a trailer. He said he would not warrantee them. I said I don't care put them on the rims. My trailer is worth a hell of a lot more than $600 worth of tires. I am going to put something on there with decent quality control not some no name Chinese made junk or Goodyears that have a 100% failure rate. My trailer tires run cooler than my E rated Excursion tires.

Perry
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
In fact, if you order the tires from Tire Rack, do it online. If you talk to a rep on the phone and it comes out your putting them on a trailer, they might not sell them to you. No kidding, I did this and was told that so I ordered them online and picked them up in Indiana. When I got there a sales guy told me lots of folks use the Michelin on trailers. Go figure. You are better off taking the rims in for the switch anyway as you never know if someone inexperienced in jacking up the trailer will do it correctly.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #53
The Silver Bullitt

1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
I got mine on today. Michelin LTX MS/2 P235/75R15. Went on without a hitch. Smell good too. We took off the rims/tires and I took them to the shop loose.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #54
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I had ours put on at a local independent tire dealer; they were happy to fit the trailer with Michelins. Their shop is small, but we got our truck & trailer lined up and they were done in half an hour.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
I purchased my 16" wheels and my Michelin 225 16 75 LT tires from Discount Tire in the Denver area. Discount mounted the tires on the wheels, and installed them on my AS. They put the old rims in the new boxes, and gave me a slight tread-in for my Marathons.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #56
Rivet Master

My independent tire store was happy to mount my Michelins. There wasn't a word about warranties. I have dealt with them for years and know they will stand behind the tires regardless. The cost was several dollars more per tire than Discount Tire, well worth it.

I deal with big box tire stores only if I need tires in a location where I don't know an independent dealer. The last transaction at a BB store were high speed tires for my Z-3. The big box managed to mount two of the tires opposite to their rotation directions. So much for quality control and customer service.

I have not heard of any blowout type failures of P or LT rated tires used on a travel trailer. Has anybody??

My Airstream is stored in Tucson at the old Airstream dealer. I walked around the yard and virtually all of the other Airstream trailers stored there were running P or LT tires, mostly Michelins. ST tire failure is a certainty running at high temperatures and all of us here in the sunbelt have learned painful lessons about tires.

Due to softer sidewalls and sideways stress on a multi axle trailer, an underinflated P or LT tire could break the bead in a very tight turn, perhaps that is what the Bean Counters at the big boxes are worried about. I run mine at maximum rated pressure and don't have a problem. I look in the mirror and see minimal squirm. I have not added air in almost a year of use. I use metal valve stems on the Airstream and all my cars. No reason not to other than nominal cost.