Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
As mentioned above, a tire monitor system can give you piece of mind. We monitor tire pressure and temperature as we travel watching out for any tire showing unexpected increases over the other tires. I may be wrong but unless it's a sudden catastrophic failure, internal friction will cause heating increases that will give you a warning of an impending failure. And if one comes apart we will know immediately and can stop to minimize damage.

We have a 2013 23D and I plan to replace the tires before next season as a precaution even though they still look good.

Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Trailer tires from Costco or those that Schwab sell in 14" I found them dependable, but also C Rated. Somewhere on the Forum I go on and on about 14" Marathon experiences an my options.

You can get five lug 15" wheels that will work on an Airstream. Get FIVE. Switz is the detail man on the AirForum and may have the answer. Sometimes you can buy a set of 15" wheels that were replaced when someone buys a car, trades the wheels into the tire shop. Bring one wheel off your Airstream into a wheel shop and they will know. You cannot just stick any five lug wheels that fit the lug nut patter. I believe it is a 0 offset... but I am only trying to recall this important bit of information.

Do not waste money on a Lift Kit at this time. Put it into five 15" wheels and D Rated tires.

Had our 23 foot Safari in 2006 had 15" or 16" wheels, we would have kept it. We bought the 25 foot with 15" wheels and immediately purchased 16" wheels and Michelin 16" E Rated Tires.

We may debate having Nitrogen or Air to inflate our tires... but pay for good tires. You will not regret it and pass up the stuff to monitor air pressure.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Hello from New Jersey!

We have owned 2016 Flying Cloud 23D since June, and we have traveled about 1,000 miles as of today.

We had never owned an RV before, so we are climbing a very steep learning curve.

The trailer came with Goodyear Marathon tire, ST215 / 75R14 with 5 lug nuts

We check tire pressure (50 psi) before every trip and tighten the lug nuts (100 ft-lbs) as instructed. We also always travel under 65mph and never overload the trailer (6,000 lbs max), and we have tire covers too. In other words, I think we are doing everything we are supposed to do for the health and longevity of tires.

However, the more I read about this tire, the less comfortable I've become, so I would like to do something about it

Atsushi
Hi there,

We have a 2017 FC23D with approx 3000 mi on it. It has 15" wheels with GYM D rated tires.
I, too got spooked when I read all the stories about GYM. (See thread "Now I'm Spooked".)

Based on all the various inputs I received I decided to get a TPMS as well as putting a Centramatic balancers on it. In other words I'm babying the tires.
I plan to wait 2 years and replace them with Endurance tires if those prove to be reliable.
One thing to keep in mind: the 23' is the smallest FC with two axles. That generally means a greater load margin on each tire than the larger trailers and even the larger single axle trailers. I think that helps the situation as well.
Good luck to you.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #18

San Antonio , Texas
We just purchased a new to us 2016 23FB Serenity that had 14" wheels & GYM tires. I'd read so many negative posts regarding them that I replaced them all today. I used our local Discount Tire who ordered 5 new Sendel T02 wheels (took 2 days) and mounted 225/75R15 GY Endurance tires with metal stems (so we can order a TPMS). Total cost out the door was about $1200. I figure I should be able to recoup about $200 of that for the 5 old 14" by selling to someone who needs them for a light work or landscaping trailer.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Fanwood , New Jersey
I was thinking of this tire:

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...-Tire-LRD-8-PR

The dimensions are exactly the same as what we currently have: GYM 14"

It's good to know that we can put 15" wheel on FC23D, but at this time, I think I'm going to stick with 14".

I'm not concerned about the weight load rating because it's 2,200 Lbs per tire. x 4 makes it 8,800 lbs. We'll never ever put that much weight anyway. And we never travel faster than 65mph.

So maybe the next time around, I'll consider 15", but for now, I'll give it a try with 14".

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes. I think that is a good choice.