Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Savannah , Georgia
1st ever trip with a travel trailer

I know there are a lot of discussions on here regarding tires and for what it's worth I thought I would add this.
We borrowed a friend's 2004 22ft. Safari LS for it's and our first ever trip which ended up at 3575 miles, from Savannah GA, to Duncan OK, and return. The trailer had never been hauled on the road since new and had sat in her back yard for years on the original set of Goodyear Marathons - 215/75/14. Obviously these had to go, even although they looked pristine and had zero mileage on them. 7 years of sitting in these tires meant they could not be trusted. After reading the experiences of many here, I opted for Maxxi M8008 radials and had them fitted and balanced. Even in the temperatures we saw in North Texas and along the way, sometimes in excess of 110f and the pounding along I-10 and the tight twisting around the roads of Possum Kingdom, we never had any issues with the tires or wheel bearings and this was towing at an average of 65mph up to speeds of 70/75mph. When we finished the tires still looked fantastic, and I would not hesitate to use maxxis in the future on this experience.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Great first trip!

Unless I read too quickly, I don't believe you mentioned if you had pulled the hubs and repacked the bearings before your trip? Probably you did at the same time you put new tires, but if not, I would certainly do that if the trailer has just been sitting all that time.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Savannah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Great first trip!

Unless I read too quickly, I don't believe you mentioned if you had pulled the hubs and repacked the bearings before your trip? Probably you did at the same time you put new tires, but if not, I would certainly do that if the trailer has just been sitting all that time.

Brian.
Brian, wheel bearings were done at Camping World while they fitted the 10k Equalizer hitch I purchased online. The 10k hitch was a bit of overkill, but I wanted to be able to use it if we ever manage to purchase the 25ft or 27ft Flying Cloud FB we like so much.

The tires were supplied and fitted by Rutland Tire & Wheel, here in Savannah. Total cost was 545.59 including balancing and tax.

As an aside, the Airstream performed brilliantly and everything still worked as it should, which is a testament to the quality of the product.
It is highly unlikely we will be using this trailer again, as our friend is likely moving back to Seattle in the near future and this is a pity as it menas it may never be used again on a trip for many years. A waste indeed.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejasus View Post
It is highly unlikely we will be using this trailer again, as our friend is likely moving back to Seattle in the near future and this is a pity as it menas it may never be used again on a trip for many years. A waste indeed.

A shame to lose access to it but hope you succeed in getting your own!

Incidentally, I note that you are in Savannah, I have started doing some early planning for a Florida trip this winter, and we hope to stop at Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah on either the way down or back.

Do you happen to know of any good campgrounds near Savannah? I found one called Red Gate Campground that seemed to get pretty decent reviews.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Savannah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
A shame to lose access to it but hope you succeed in getting your own!

Incidentally, I note that you are in Savannah, I have started doing some early planning for a Florida trip this winter, and we hope to stop at Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah on either the way down or back.

Do you happen to know of any good campgrounds near Savannah? I found one called Red Gate Campground that seemed to get pretty decent reviews.

Brian.
Sorry I can't really help with recommendations for your trip as this was our first ever trip with an RV. I can however, recommend that if you go to New Orleans, the new French Quarter RV site is an absolutely excellent facility. I can't imagine finding much better right in the heart of any major city. Taxi ride from anywhere in the city $8-10. Oh, and the newly revamped Superdome is fantastic. Geaux Saints!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
A good friend indeed, to loan you the trailer ... but it seems to me that this good a friend ought to be able to be convinced that it's in their, your, and the trailer's best interests to have it adopted by someone who will put the coach to good use!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Savannah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
A good friend indeed, to loan you the trailer ... but it seems to me that this good a friend ought to be able to be convinced that it's in their, your, and the trailer's best interests to have it adopted by someone who will put the coach to good use!
I couldn't agree more, and she may be persuaded, but I doubt it. However, it convinced us that we would be better with something a little larger and the 25ft Flying Cloud FB with panorama views front and rear would be our best choice. The search has begun and we would love to be able to find one to look around, but that is not easy to do.

George
Old 08-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
I couldn't agree more, and she may be persuaded, but I doubt it. However, it convinced us that we would be better with something a little larger and the 25ft Flying Cloud FB with panorama views front and rear would be our best choice. The search has begun and we would love to be able to find one to look around, but that is not easy to do.

George
Be a little flexible in your definition of The One and it makes it much easier to find. Assign personal value to the various features (size, particular layout, pano windows, age, features, etc.) and think about all the trailers you find for sale in the range you're interested in.

I was looking mostly at older trailers because I wanted to pay cash AND needed to buy a tow vehicle, but I wasn't really thinking about Argosies when mine came on the market 12 miles from my house. It had most of the things I'd wanted in a trailer and/or intended to do to a trailer I was going to rehab, the previous owner clearly loved the trailer and knew what he was doing when he fixed/upgraded things, and I knew after a couple of hours of looking under, in, around and behind everything that it was The One for us. I haven't been a bit disappointed! I have had a few things to upgrade, but that gives me something constructive to do rather than just reading about all the cool stuff everyone else is doing to their trailers on the Forums.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote