Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Closing thoughts

I hope this thread helps those considering the change to 16" rims and tires without changing axles. It can be done, provided you are brave enough with a Dremel.

I will plan to do the axle change later in a few years, but for now, this should suffice.

I apologize that I do not have better pics or pics of Cosmo with her new shoes. This project took me 5 hours and by the time I was done daylight was running out and I was too damn sore to hook up the trailer and pull her out. I will post the "completed" pics later.

One other note is that I was able to fit the 16" rim and tire in the spare tire cradle below, but it is tight. You must push the spare all the way till it hits the cross member of the frame to which the bracket is mounted to and then clasp it shut. It is a tight fit but can be done.

An additional closing thought is that I am thankful that this event did occur on my terms versus a blowout on the road. I've never looked at my marathons closely, assuming that the tread was fine and never gave the cords or belts any thought. I figured that pressure monitoring was sufficient.

I have learned that the tread on the marathons were nearly down to the wear bars, which surprised me given the mileage driven. I am also surprised at the irregular wear pattern seen only when removing the tire and rolling the tread thru your fingers. I founds some patches of balding which did not make sense. I have never locked the brakes, so the "patchy" wear may indicate another issue. I did have my axles aligned when I was in Jackson Center in May of this year, approximately 5K miles ago. I do not know if this pattern was pre or post alignment but I will watch my tires closely from this point forward.

This project does also give a person a good opportunity to get "intimate" with your tires and wear pattern, as well as a chance to inspect the brakes and running gear.

Regarding my decision to purchase the rims and tires from Discount tire, they did "meet" my Costco price, however did not fill with Nitrogen. Not big deal to me but they were the cheapest for the rims and did not charge me shipping for them either (special ordered).

So my only negative experience was damage to rims with Discount tire on my car, which they did repair right away. Therefore when the rims and tires came in, I asked the manager to personally mount and balance the tires.

They did use high pressure metal valve stems, however, the model they used were they type that are encased in rubber. I much prefer the ones I had put on my 15" rims which were solid metal that were bolted on the rim. This allowed for a more sold stem with zero movement and made for a great mount for my tire pressure sensors. I will ask to change these next time I rotate the tires.

I'll post the "finished product" on the trailer when I pull her home later this week.

Special thanks to Artstream for his experince and guidence in the project, as well as 62 Overlander who caught this problem before it got worse... Always good to have another set of eyes look at something!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_058 (Medium).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	71477  

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
That is impressive, gorgeous, and pimpin'! After having a catastrophic wheel event recently, I'm thinking of going to 16"s also.

Hey, I'm in Austin. Can I use your Dremel? Better yet, if I bring the barbecue and beer…

Old 11-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Kevin, thank you so much for this insight. I am in the throws of the same dilemma with Lucy, my '05 25FB. I had three blowouts with the OEM Marathons. I went to Maxxis 8008, Load Range E's. They did really well for about 25,000 miles when one of them lost pressure due to ply separation at the crown of the tread. I replaced the the bad Maxxis with a Carlisle 10 ply (E), and I am in the process of deciding what to do, as I am fearing that the remaining three Maxxis will follow suit shortly.

Your posts have been very helpful as I have been considering going to 16" wheels. I do have a couple of questions, though.

I've looked at both your tires and your rims on line. Are the XPS Ribs 10 ply? From strictly a looks standpoint, I like the Series 03 and Series 04 better, but I notice that they have an 8mm and 5 mm offset, repectively in the 16x7 size. Did your research show that these would also fit?

I would love to see a picture of your new tires and rims installed on the 27FB.

Brian
Hi Brian,

The positive outset would push the wheel and tire further "out" than the factory position with - offset. I don think clearance would be an issue but that would require you to do some quick measuring.

Scott at www.trailertiresandwheels.com is very informative and knowledgeable. He knew the right questions to ask (axle manufacturer, model, use of tire pressure monitors, etc). I did not go with him because of the cost of shipping.

They also make the 16' wheel for Airstream's Pan America. The version they are supposed to sell to the masses are a back and polished version whereas the Pan America has the full polished version. I can't remember the offset on that but it looks like this:

Yes, the XPS rib are 10 ply E rated Tuck and RV tire (propelled or not). All steel belted they are a heavy duty tire. Paul (62 Overlander) introduced them to me and I think they are just the ticket, especially because of the steel side wall with the sharp scrubbing turns we have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01678 (Medium).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	71479  
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker View Post
Kevin,

Upgrading to new axles with the 35 degree deflection will still create the same tight space between the fenders and tires. Ask me how I know....

Even after changing our axles and wheels, our tires were very close to the fender. We had to have some of the fender nipped off and the trim reapplied also.

'shaker
That is good to know... I hope they did the axles better than the power management system they installed!!!

I really like your setup, but with a 34, I bet you scrub those tires a heck of a lot more than I do in turns. I think you went with the LTX tires, correct?

I'm glad to get your input. I hope those with later model wide body trailers can get some direction based on what people like you and others have done on the axle and wheels.

Sorry to hear about Stan. Hope he feels better soon.

Prim is also getting a cold too... I think its the sudden change in weather combined with lack of sleep from too much work and stress....
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
That is impressive, gorgeous, and pimpin'! After having a catastrophic wheel event recently, I'm thinking of going to 16"s also.

Hey, I'm in Austin. Can I use your Dremel? Better yet, if I bring the barbecue and beerÖ

No problem on the Dremel. Feel free to swing by and take a look if you want. I live in NW Austin and will be bringing Cosmo home this week.
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Hey Kevin - it looks great. After the trip to Kirkwood, MO this weekend my Marathons are done. Same irregular wear patterns you describe over approximately the same amount of miles. You will like the Michelin XPS Rib, the construction is much more robust than the LTX, and the only one listed in the Michelin RV guide tire selections for 16".

Also, we can modify your chocks like we did on Artstream's. They will fit the 16" tire much better afterward.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Kevin,
You said a positive outset would push the wheel and tire further "out" than the factory position. I thought, for example, that the series 4 with +5mm offset would bring the tire in away from the fender. The XPS Rib is wider but the positive offset brings the tire edge in. The problem would be the room on the inside of the fender well to handle the wider tire and positive offset.

I may be all wet on this but I have a 50% chance I am right.
Barry
Old 11-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Those do look good... I would guess that it will smooth out the ride also.

I wonder why they arent doing this from the factory?