Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #681
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
No Problem after 4,373 mile Boondocking Adventure

Returned from an Off the Grid Boondocking trip within Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

A total of 4,373 miles. Paved, as well as BLM and NFS roads from great to poor.

Not one issue. No tire failures on F350 Michelins or the 27 foot Airstream Michelins. Anyone is welcome to stop by and take a look at my tires, wheels and fender wells for inspection.

I installed 'mud flaps' before this latest trip on the F350 that are very stiff and the back flaps are lower by three or more inches than the front. Got two rock dings on the outside rock guard at the bottom.

Deeper tread tend to pick up rocks. Some spin off early. Some may get to highway speed to come loose. This is a known hazard, thus the heavy mud flaps.

Disclaimer: I do not sell, own stock or promote Michelin Tires.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #682
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado- 4284 miles

Michelin Tires took another long round trip vacation beginning on July 17 and returning August 10. A total of 4,284 miles.

No flats. No blowouts. No exterior or interior damage. Nothing. Asphalt, gravel and improved dirt roads. Tires at 66 to 69 psi. Cold. When they warm up... the pressure increases. Not checked but no doubt in the low 70's. Added Centramics on each wheel... but would not know if they help... or not.

If you Off the Grid Boondock or just want to get to one RV Park to another... these tires can handle it. I have had these tires on our 2014 25 foot International and the current 2019 27 foot International.

Never needed the spare tire.

Fully loaded for extended Off the Grid camping.

Two popped rivets over the Dometic Cooktop inside the curved area of the cabinet. Used Lathe Screws to FIX IT FOR GOOD. So far... yes.

NO hinges coming loose, but I also Zip Tied all of those with a Single or a Double Zip Tie. The left curved door below the sink had both hinges loosened where the small flat head screw holds the hinge together. Took it apart and someone at the Airstream Factory must have OILED these two screws and the area in between were oiled.

Took me more time to CLEAN the four screws and threads with Lighter Fluid with Q-Tips and paper towels to remove the oil. YOU DO NOT OIL THREADED SCREWS... this was no accident. After throughly cleaning, reattached the two hinges and applied the Zip ties. NO problem after that. The lower hinge attached to the door (fake material) had bent and our local Airstream Dealer will get to it. The screws fit into the door with a plastic threaded plug, that is spinning. Otherwise I will get it out... and use Gorilla Glue for a permanent fix.

With all of the hinges Zip Tied... I am confident that if you Zip Tie your hinges with one, and larger doors with two... tires make no difference.

I am 100% happy with 16 inch Michelins. The interior is not 'falling apart' as some say.

I do not sell, promote or invest in Tires. I do not have any reason to make up stuff, complain about things that have not happened or am quiet about things that DO happen. By using Common Sense and securing weak areas in an Airstream after each trip will improve what Jackson Center did or did not do. Many of their white headed screws... will eventually come loose and I replace them and tighten up the interior. These factory screws are not the best... I say.

I added THREE Lathe screws to the front edge (one left, center and a right) of the Dometic Cook top as it would shake out of where it should have been secured anyways. The front center burner dropped the screw and the tempered prong to hold it secure, which is in the process of being replaced. One pull out drawer I added TWO Lathe Screws from below through holes already provided, to secure it to the pull out brackets and that made it 100% solid. Fixed that permanently with two screws and will be watching the other two that are between the Sink and Oven on the 2019 Front Bed 27 FBQ foot International.

That was it after 13,000 miles this YEAR. Ooooh Weee... an Armored Tank Airstream?

Soon.

Off to New Mexico and into the Gila and Apache National Forests to hike and explore the canyons and Wilderness areas. From Mimbres, NM to the South and to Quemado, NM to the North. A... Lot... of... Hiking with our Blue Heelers.

Do YOU have an issue with hardware? Ask a question. I or others are willing to give you some advice to secure or improve the interior of your Airstream. After 14 years... there is not much that has not happened that does have a fix... or you just live with it... and complain. Your choice. You want it Factory or Fixed?

Is it the Tires or, better yet, just using different hardware to secure the interior? If you travel... stuff comes loose. If the interior can be secured better, do what you need to do.

If you see us camped... stop and get a walk through of how to Off the Grid with ANY tires and be one Happy Camper! Call me .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0347.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	376887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0442.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	451.9 KB
ID:	376888  

Name:	DSCN0407.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	376889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0360.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	376890  

Name:	DSCN0356.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	376891  
Old 08-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #683
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Michelin Tires took another long round trip vacation beginning on July 17 and returning August 10. A total of 4,284 miles.

No flats. No blowouts. No exterior or interior damage. Nothing. Asphalt, gravel and improved dirt roads. Tires at 66 to 69 psi. Cold. When they warm up... the pressure increases. Not checked but no doubt in the low 70's. Added Centramics on each wheel... but would not know if they help... or not.

If you Off the Grid Boondock or just want to get to one RV Park to another... these tires can handle it. I have had these tires on our 2014 25 foot International and the current 2019 27 foot International.

Never needed the spare tire.

Fully loaded for extended Off the Grid camping.

Two popped rivets over the Dometic Cooktop inside the curved area of the cabinet. Used Lathe Screws to FIX IT FOR GOOD. So far... yes.

NO hinges coming loose, but I also Zip Tied all of those with a Single or a Double Zip Tie. The left curved door below the sink had both hinges loosened where the small flat head screw holds the hinge together. Took it apart and someone at the Airstream Factory must have OILED these two screws and the area in between were oiled.

Took me more time to CLEAN the four screws and threads with Lighter Fluid with Q-Tips and paper towels to remove the oil. YOU DO NOT OIL THREADED SCREWS... this was no accident. After throughly cleaning, reattached the two hinges and applied the Zip ties. NO problem after that. The lower hinge attached to the door (fake material) had bent and our local Airstream Dealer will get to it. The screws fit into the door with a plastic threaded plug, that is spinning. Otherwise I will get it out... and use Gorilla Glue for a permanent fix.

With all of the hinges Zip Tied... I am confident that if you Zip Tie your hinges with one, and larger doors with two... tires make no difference.

I am 100% happy with 16 inch Michelins. The interior is not 'falling apart' as some say.

I do not sell, promote or invest in Tires. I do not have any reason to make up stuff, complain about things that have not happened or am quiet about things that DO happen. By using Common Sense and securing weak areas in an Airstream after each trip will improve what Jackson Center did or did not do. Many of their white headed screws... will eventually come loose and I replace them and tighten up the interior. These factory screws are not the best... I say.

I added THREE Lathe screws to the front edge (one left, center and a right) of the Dometic Cook top as it would shake out of where it should have been secured anyways. The front center burner dropped the screw and the tempered prong to hold it secure, which is in the process of being replaced. One pull out drawer I added TWO Lathe Screws from below through holes already provided, to secure it to the pull out brackets and that made it 100% solid. Fixed that permanently with two screws and will be watching the other two that are between the Sink and Oven on the 2019 Front Bed 27 FBQ foot International.

That was it after 13,000 miles this YEAR. Ooooh Weee... an Armored Tank Airstream?

Soon.

Off to New Mexico and into the Gila and Apache National Forests to hike and explore the canyons and Wilderness areas. From Mimbres, NM to the South and to Quemado, NM to the North. A... Lot... of... Hiking with our Blue Heelers.

Do YOU have an issue with hardware? Ask a question. I or others are willing to give you some advice to secure or improve the interior of your Airstream. After 14 years... there is not much that has not happened that does have a fix... or you just live with it... and complain. Your choice. You want it Factory or Fixed?

Is it the Tires or, better yet, just using different hardware to secure the interior? If you travel... stuff comes loose. If the interior can be secured better, do what you need to do.

If you see us camped... stop and get a walk through of how to Off the Grid with ANY tires and be one Happy Camper! Call me .
Thanks for the input. Noted you said you don't know your if your tire pressure was 70 psi or not? Why not? Surely you have TPMS?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #684
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks for the input. Noted you said you don't know your if your tire pressure was 70 psi or not? Why not? Surely you have TPMS?

Airstream would provide them as standard equipment if they felt TPMS systems were beneficial. Or are they also incompetent? Wouldn't they?

I am interested in Cold PSI. I check my tires visually when at Service Stations by walk around and the contact of the tire to the ground of each tire.

I check my tires when camped.

I have not had a flat tire since the troubles with Goodyear Marathon 14 inch C Rated Tires.

I have not had a flat tire, tire failure or loss of air pressure in a Michelin Tire in my lifetime experience driving. Anyone who has had issues with their tires should have a TPMS System. Much like having a Seat Belt alarm if you do not have your seat belt engaged. I do it automatically.

If I have a Michelin tire failure... or a flat tire from an object penetrating the tire, I will be the first to post it onto the Forum. If you are using Goodyear Tires... TPMS is probably a great idea. Goodyear 14 inch C Rated ST tires SHOULD BE USING TPMS. Those days may be over as the 23 foot Airstreams now have gone to 15 inch E Rated Goodyears.

The photo is June 20, 2007. Bought the trailer in January 2006. One tire had bubbles on the sides and Goodyear charged me $86 for a replacement the first month I owned the trailer. The blowout I was not going to haul the parts around while traveling and there was NO TREAD left to... measure wear.

Went to 14 inch Tow Max and Tow Master tires without any issues and sold the trailer in 2014. Never one problem. Some TIRES you do need TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1938.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	376954  
Old 08-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #685
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:

Airstream would provide them as standard equipment if they felt TPMS systems were beneficial. Or are they also incompetent? Wouldn't they?

I am interested in Cold PSI. I check my tires visually when at Service Stations by walk around and the contact of the tire to the ground of each tire.

I check my tires when camped.

I have not had a flat tire since the troubles with Goodyear Marathon 14 inch C Rated Tires.

I have not had a flat tire, tire failure or loss of air pressure in a Michelin Tire in my lifetime experience driving. Anyone who has had issues with their tires should have a TPMS System. Much like having a Seat Belt alarm if you do not have your seat belt engaged. I do it automatically.

If I have a Michelin tire failure... or a flat tire from an object penetrating the tire, I will be the first to post it onto the Forum. If you are using Goodyear Tires... TPMS is probably a great idea. Goodyear 14 inch C Rated ST tires SHOULD BE USING TPMS. Those days may be over as the 23 foot Airstreams now have gone to 15 inch E Rated Goodyears.

The photo is June 20, 2007. Bought the trailer in January 2006. One tire had bubbles on the sides and Goodyear charged me $86 for a replacement the first month I owned the trailer. The blowout I was not going to haul the parts around while traveling and there was NO TREAD left to... measure wear.

Went to 14 inch Tow Max and Tow Master tires without any issues and sold the trailer in 2014. Never one problem. Some TIRES you do need TPMS.
Well, you don't need insurance to pull a trailer either, but bet you have it, right? Went without a TPMS for years...trusting good tires, and checking at each pit stop...then one day, I happened to see a post on a blowout, the damage it did...no TPMS. The warning indicator for temp or psi will alert to any potential issues ahead of time...or perhaps at the same time tire issue may occure...maybe you are lucky; maybe you are not...I would argue the TPMS is a good thing to have...it may not prevent a tire issue, but could/will alert you if you have one.

I recently picked up a nail in my tire on a gravel road...the loss of pressure alerted me thru the TPMS. I would not have known...you see the damage a tire can do to a rig, and it just makes good safety sense to have a TPMS if your on the road a lot. I do understand that "some folks" don't wear seatbelts either...to each his own...be safe out there.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #686
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

Not necessarily!

Airstream also sells things because people buy things.
If consumer demand for a thing was high enough most manufacturers will make or add that thing so it can be sold. There are some restrictions as it can not degrade the ownership experience and not be a negative thing for the rest of the vehicle either.

A CB radio is not a thing the consumer wants now. But consumer demand for a CB radios in a trailer was rather high in the 1970s. I am sure Airstream installed a number of those until demand faded. Technology comes and sometimes it stays.

Action
Old 08-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #687
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Thank you for the TPMS advice.

Yes... I had a CB Radio until cell telephones made them obsolete. I sometimes use our walkie talkies in the 'bush'. Some Ranchers still use CB.

I pulled over to help an Airstream pulled off the Interstate south of Albuquerque, NM with a flat tire. He split his socket trying to remove the lug nuts. He had a system which screwed into the stem coming out of his tire. This system broke the stem. The tire went flat due to his choice of 'TPMS'. I let them use one of my Craftsman sockets. One problem, solved.

I am totally comfortable without TPMS. I suggest those following any tire Thread to consider what you may need for safety. I chose not to. Our vehicles come stock with TPMS systems.

Those in the interior of the tire no doubt are the better choice.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:58 AM   #688
2 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Hartwell , Georgia
ANY INFO WILL HELP !! Looking at upgrade to 16 x6 6-139.70 slmcms wheels and michelins LT245/75 r 16 E1 AGILIS CROSSCLIMATE from Discount tire .. On my 1994 30 ft Execello ???? will they work ???
MT MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #689
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Oliver 16" Michelins factory/ Airstream 16" my upgrade

I have 16 inch Michelins on two trailers.

2019 Oliver Elite II (about a 23 foot Airstream) about 7,000 pounds dry weight.

2019 Airstream International 27FBQ about 7,500 pounds dry weight.

Oliver 2019 from factory: Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT225x75R16 (date 44th week 2018)

Airstream 2019 upgrade from 15 inch to 16 inch: Michelin Agilis Cross Climate LT225/75R16 (date 28th week 2019)

I ran with 72psi on the Airstream in the past and replaced interior pop rivets with 1/2 to 3/4 inch Lath Screws. Once the pop rivets were secure and no longer an issue (fingers crossed), I am now finding myself, for Off the Grid Boondocking not asphalt campsite camping to 80psi.

I secured all my Airstream cabinet hardware and used Lath Screws to attach and secured the Dometic Propane cooktop that was missing screws from the factory, using Lath Screws.

I have had no popped rivets and no cabinet hinges come loose on the Airstream.

I have never had anything come loose in the Oliver.

I replaced my Airstream Tires when they are about 50%. It is insurance for tire tread depth.s

I do not use any Tire Pressure system. I have had no blow out, no flat tires.

If I have the opportunity to replace four Michelins Tires in the future... I will look for reasonable options for tire pressure sensors. Since I have had no negative experiences with 16 inch tire failures, I will take my chances and not consider it at this time.

The only time I had any flat tires or blow outs were on the 2006 23 foot Safari with 14 inch C Rated Marathon tires. No damage to the trailer, but these tires weigh a fraction of a Michelin. The new Goodyears I sold off the 2019 with wheels and used the money to buy six Michelins and difference.

Would I do this again? You bet. My experience of flat tires has been Zero. I taught Casino Gambling and had a Gaming School to train dealers. The odds with Michelin tires are excellent. I have Michelins on my 2016 F350 Diesel and replaced the rear tires due to 50% wear. The front tires will be good a couple more years.

When I sell a trailer, the trailer is better with upgraded hardware and Lath Screws. I enjoy 'tinkering' and upgrading weak areas. Call it a hobby. I have many hobbies. One is using either trailer to go out and collect fossils, minerals and semi precious gemstones.

This is in response to several posts. I will not delete getting notification of posts from this Thread if someone want to criticize my choice or has any further questions. It has been awhile but will answer any questions.

My experience as of this Post.