Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Just because it is hard and getting harder to find 15" LT Load Range E tires in the 225 or 235 aspect ratio.
15" LT tires are scarce and only getting scarcer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
yea to michellin

After 5 tire failures with all types of trailer tires including one massive blow out on a brand new Carlisle tire on the way from Michigan to Florida (60 mph, smooth road and tire pressure checked earlier in the day) and a second one failing on the return trip a few months later I gave up. Other tire failures occurred on the way to Arizona from Michigan and a very scary run from Tuscon to Phoenix at 99 degrees trying to run at 65 mph where most of the traffic was running 80 plus. When we did try to change the tire, I took the spare down to find the entire sidewall split. We tried the D rated tires as well as the E rated and none held up any better than the others. We have gone with the Michelin tires and never looked back. We have run them around 70 psi and have had no rivet problems. Three years later and they still look like new. Our 03 Airstream has been all over the country and is pulled every month. When trucks are flying by on the turnpike in nasty rainstorms it is nice to have the peace of mind these tires bring and the relief of not worrying about tire problems every mile is well worth the cost.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Just because it is hard and getting harder to find 15" LT Load Range E tires in the 225 or 235 aspect ratio.
15" LT tires are scarce and only getting scarcer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Thanks for your answering.

Don
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I installed new michelins, 225/75/16 on sendel black out wheels, we are leaving Wednesday morning to Pismo Beach ,Calif...it will be interesting to see if there are any towing differences.....hope the storms give us a 2 day break...
I
Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I installed new michelins, 225/75/16 on sendel black out wheels, we are leaving Wednesday morning to Pismo Beach ,Calif...it will be interesting to see if there are any towing differences.....hope the storms give us a 2 day break...
I

We are suppose to have a little snow Friday in the Denver area. If it gets in your way coming through Castle Rock... call... you have a place to stop and I broke our spare snow shovel, so you are safe in that respect.

We want to hear what your experience was with the new set up.

With the blizzard yesterday, my wheels are already a day late for delivery. Fed Ex shows up with a small carton of ink cartridges for our Epson this afternoon... and I had been fairly good all last year, expecting something a bit larger.

Getting these wheels and tires are like Xmas coming early. The wheels, not the blizzard. When I open the cartons I will comment on packaging and if the wheels appear to be fresh or returns sent to me...

We were at Costco picking up some groceries and I went into the Tire Shop and smelled some new Michelins. The Michelin sale is not until May, but I looked so disappointed that he gave me his card and the Tire Manager said would give me the $70 off.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Such great information. Thanks to all for taking the time and sharing your experiences. I've been towing our 2016 Sport 22FB with the much loved GYM's @ 65 PSI at basically whatever speed feels safe. Mostly 70 mph but I was not aware of the high failure rate until reading this and other threads. Arriving soon (maybe) is our new Pendleton equipped with the 16" Sendal wheels and Michelin tires. I was at the factory and took pictures of our unit. When I got home I was surprised at the overall profile differences and will just feel more comfortable towing a tandem with
a better rubber. Have a Hensley on the way too. I feel that learning curve coming right at me!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
With our 2013 25FB International Serenity, I had to use the eyelet end of a 15" crescent wrench and another one to provide some leverage to slightly bend the two upright arms outwards for the larger diameter Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tire on the steel rim. Once the fitment was completed, I found that the wider cross section of the the new tire made getting the catch engaged for the tire support arm was a real challenge, but doable.

The 2014 Classic's tire carrier needed no adjustment to the arms and getting the tire on the rack was a little challenging. I will probably need help to get it off the rack as I had to shove it as far back as possible. The cross section seemed to work okay.

Upgrading the 2015 23D International Serenity from 14" GYM ST215/75R14C tires with a diameter of 26.7" to new SenDel T03-567545T wheels and Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires with a diameter of 28.9" required we build a new custom tire carrier to compensate for both the larger diameter and wider new tire cross section.

I would suggest that getting a used tire for a spare could be false economy as the older tires could have the elapsed time issue from the build date that degrades the tire carcass and would make it much more susceptible to failure when you need it the most.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Wheels Arrived in Perfect Condition

Three cartons from Performance Plus Tires arrived this noon. None had been previously opened and one contained the set of lug nuts with one "wheel lock" lug nut per wheel with one special socket to install/remove. A second socket to remove the wheel lock costs $7.50. The bag of four security wheel locks has a number to request for a spare socket. That wheel carton had been resealed to insert the lug nut carton.

The first wheel fit the trailer's bolt pattern perfectly. My original 15" wheels look the same as these wheels. The carton has 16" x 6.0 printed on the carton to pack 16" wheels. Each wheel has a separate carton, label, a cloth 'net circle' to keep dust off the finish and a piece of plastic between an inserted cardboard sleeve and the carton and contents sealed with clear tape. Two wheels fit into another cardboard box and is very well paper taped.

The lug nuts require a 9mm deep socket for the original lug nuts and those sent with the wheels. I used a deep socket that is 2 1/2" long. I want it to cover the entire lug nut and not just part. Some sockets are designed for a spark plug. The sockets are usually 3/8" drive, so to get a "breaker bar" that is solid I have a 1/2" drive and have an adapter to use the 3/8" socket. Or you can buy an impact socket that is 1/2" drive that will fit a breaker bar.

When I removed the wheel from my 2014 there is a sticker that says " use Zero Offset Wheel" on the brake drum. There is also a warning about using the new wheels with disc brakes and make sure that the wheel clears the calipers. I have drum brakes and the 16" wheels are marked as Zero Offset.

The carton has the Bolt Circle as 6/139.7 (Metric). It is the same as 6/5.50 (US)

Center bore 4.25" (US) which fits the original center insert. Mine fit perfectly that were installed with the 15" wheels. This is the center chrome/aluminum sleeve that covers the center of the wheel.

Load Rating: 3200 pounds

Description: Machined Aluminum Trailer

Lug Nuts: 1/2 x 20 embossed on the replacement lug nuts. They are a solid lug nut and the same height as my originals. The Airstream originals have a chrome sleeve pressed onto the lug nut, probably for looks. The replacements appear to be solid and finished better where they contact the wheel. I have seen the original Airstream installed lug nuts chrome sleeve get damaged and the socket will not fit as the sleeve is damaged.

Purchasing the new lug nuts would be up to each buyer. If your originals have not been blemished... keep them. Now I know that I could have used either, but the security lug nuts would deter someone needing your wheels and tires.

Total shipping weight was 121.6 pounds. Fed Ex and shipped 3-21 and arrived a day late after the blizzard on 3-25. Order was handled at Performance Plus Tires by Christian from my internet ordering and receiving confirmation that they were shipped.

As expected: Made in China
Old 03-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Michelin LT225/75R16 Load Range E LTX M/S2 Tires

Costco ordered from Michelin's distribution center in Reno, Nevada:

Five LTX M/S 2 Light Truck
LT225/75R16MS2
LRE (Load Range E) BSW (Black Side Wall out) MSPN 05681 70K warranty

Total Cost: $936.72

Price includes mounting tire onto wheel, metal pressure valve, Nitrogen, balancing.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #38
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Make sure you get the 78% nitrogen. It's blended specifically for use on earth.

Ken
Old 03-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
But only if it's been pumped using dihydrous oxide instead of oil....

😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Use nitrous oxide and smell the tire leaks and get a laugh.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Make sure you get the 78% nitrogen. It's blended specifically for use on earth.

Ken

Only if I am using my tire as the Air Supply for scuba diving in the South Pacific.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
THIN AIR at 10,000 feet elevation

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Use nitrous oxide and smell the tire leaks and get a laugh.

Now that we have ran out of old ideas... using tires at the Dentist Office when having a wisdom tooth extracted is another good use. ...and after reading some other Threads, the 'tire crowd' are full of 70psi hot air. Which is a good change.

Of course this brings up the question. We 'thin air' folk living at 7,000 feet elevation, or higher, are being deprived of the Air percentage contents taken at Sea Level. Add the extra humidity at Sea Level and heat that up and see what is happening when you are getting over your nitrous oxide 'high' at 100 feet above low tide.

I believe they sell the 'thin air' to those on the US coastal cities.

Why not Diesel Exhaust to fill your Marathons? May be an improvement.

After getting tired of having to add 'thin air' into our Land Cruiser tires... Costco had some offer to swap thin air out for Nitrogen. They let the 'thin air' out of the tire. Pressured it up with Nitrogen. Emptied the air from the tire, again. Then refilled the tire with Nitrogen. Probably 50 cents worth of Nitrogen, I do not know. They even found out how to drop the spare tire... after my wife showed them how to do it.

So... when you are full of gas or hot air... there are options. Come and refill your tires at Leadville, CO at 10,000 feet elevation and get pure thin air anytime. Nothing like taking a deep breath and... nothing happens.