Old 09-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #295
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It is the the same model wheel installed by Airstream on the Eddie Bauer, Pendleton and 2015 and later Classics.

I used the same model 16" wheel and 16" tire when upgrading our 2014 Classic as Airstream could not fault the combination if there were a suspension issue during the warranty.

Also, this combination is for sale at the entrance into the Jackson Center service center for 25' and longer dual axle recent models. They have also been installed on many of the heavier single axle trailers.

We also used the matching SenDel 15" five lug T03-56545T wheels on our 2015 23D International Serenity stock axles along with the Michelin 15" LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires with Centramatic wheel balancers #200-221 and Dill 1506-453 TPMS.

We also have the Centramatic 300-356 all "A" plates and Dill 1506-453 TPMS installed on the Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I year with 16" Sendel T03 wheels and LT tires:
I can't tell the tires have been anywhere.
The tires still look new with all the tread still there.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #297
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
I am using 70psi on the 16" trailer tires. Costco uses Nitrogen, which when hot is not as likely to increase inner psi. After stopping to refuel, I put my palm onto each tire and bless each and ever one of them for staying so cool on a hot day.

I find it interesting that some say that anything above 60psi in the trailer's tires make the trailer ride... rough. How do they know? Is someone laying in bed or on the sofa reading a newspaper for all of this knowledge while traveling the Interstate or the back country roads of Montana?

Maybe it is more believable to say that they 'believe the trailer is riding rougher'. Sure... if your tires are bald, any appropriate pressure would ride rougher.

For some who like to keep the psi lower for their tow vehicle. When tire pressure is 'too low' and you turn, the tires... squeal like a pig. I suspect that as well for those tires on an Airstream and being turned at a sharp angle.

When the tires are at a higher psi... no 'pig squealing' and it is easier on the power steering by feeling less friction with the road.

I am led to 'believe' that a higher pressure is better than a lower pressure.

I am also led to believe by experience, that even with the 15" GYM tires at the recommended inflation rode... hard. The tire tread is shallow and the 'rubber' used is hard and stiff. The Marathon tires have deep tread in comparison and the rubber is much more pliable.

If the 'tire experts' who manufacture tires were so brilliant, tires would be perfected a long time ago. Adding logos on the outside smooth areas and special knobs and texture to improve the tire is only the imagination of the advertising agency working with the manufacturer. Believe what you want, but those who are competing with Michelin will do their best to improve what they are producing, or add some feature to make their tires stand out.

Better yet, change the name of the tire and raise the price. ...as we all are led to believe, the more expensive the tire... it has to be better.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I know mine rolls smoothly with 65 psi cold/70psi hot because the Kleenex, hats, TV and various other things are still on the table/counter/credenza when we get where we're going.
It was not so before Centramatics.
I attribute the smooth ride more to the Centramatics than the 16" wheels and tires.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #299
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I've had my 16" M/S 2s E rated on the trailer now for three years and they are fantastic. I do not run my psi to max as many do. Those tires are super hard. I shared when I got them on my truck as well, the ride was like a tank at 45psi. I run the trailer at 60psi and monitor the temp. (I know there are those that say it does not matter) I found that temp to give me the lowest temp swing and be well beyond my load need. I do not have centrimatics but my tires/wheels are balanced via a load force speed balancer. I was amazed that Sams and the place I bought tires the first time said they never balanced trailer tires. My dad took their flatbed over to a place for tires and left it for new tires (3-axle) when he picked it up he found that they did not balance those either. Apparently there is some notion that any trailers do not need balancing. Sams could not do the 16" for me as they did not have any equipment to fit the wheel (Sendel)
Old 09-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #300
1 Rivet Member

Yulee , Florida
Question for you guys...we're going with 16"s on our 25' but prefer the TS02 over the TS03 wheel. The original 15" are TS02 and we prefer the look. I guess there is no difference between the two for the 16" other than preference would that be correct?
Old 09-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #301
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That is correct.
Choose the style you like.
I see so many T03's on sob trailers.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #302
1 Rivet Member

Yulee , Florida
Thanks for the quick response!
Old 09-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #303
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Pretty sure the 16" Sendel T03 wheels have a slightly higher weight capacity than the T02, but unless your trailer is heavy enough for that to matter, either is probably fine. Just check your stats and go from there.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #304
1 Rivet Member

Yulee , Florida
Yea I noticed the T03 do have a slightly higher rating (300lbs) but the 25' I have I'm already super on the + side. Thanks for the extra info though!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #305
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Actual "on the road "facts"" is anecdote. Tire and Rubber Mfr's Assoc'n, heavily influenced by DOT/Gov't regs, are actual, controlled tests.

If we have 100 Airstream users, 90 of them still use the ST tires that AS put on them, while 10 folks have switched to what has worked for them on their cars/trucks. (Obviously, I'm imagining the actual numbers.)

Of those same 100 AS owners, 30 of them participate here in the forums, and 15 of those came here because they were experiencing a problem they didn't know how to solve, and got advice from the other 15, ten of whom are willing to experiment with any solution at all, and 5 of those are habitual whiners/complainers about anything Airstream.

Those last ones mentioned are the same ones who, on one thread will claim that any change from AS design will void a warranty and therefore shouldn't be tried (which, if you think about it, suggests they believe the designers must have known what they were doing).... and those same guys in a different thread will unequivocally affirm that the only opinions which count are the people who've gone to the little-known, experimental solution and refer to that experiment as "proof" of the solution...without regard to the fact their experiment is a very small number without a control group or meeting any trustworthy testing protocol. They've simply not yet had a failure after their change, and if they did they'd not likely come back and admit it. (thereby furthering the "proof" of the experimental solution.)

Let's face it: Mfr's have a liability-risk for their product design and performance, and the laws of economics tells us that a defective product will no longer have a marketplace. Lawyers being what they are, there is little likelihood that an entire line of products would still be offered by the industry if there were any evidence whatsoever the product is questionable. (If ST tires are so worthless that television-pharmaceutical-blonde will soon be on the screen telling us to call her law-firm because they have the resources, experience, and capability to get us our best settlement if we or anyone in our family has wrecked the trailer.)
It's my opinion, AS offered LT tires as an option because customers demanded it based on anecdotal evidence, and the increased cost was passed onto the customer in premium product lines, which gives AS a higher profit margin.

The majority of all trailer mfr's supply their trailers with ST tires because they are purpose-built for trailers. That's not to say that LT tires cannot carry a trailer. I've got old, worn-out LT tires on my utility-trailer that I use to haul trash to the dump. But I have new or recent-mfr-date tires on my expensive AS that were purpose-built for the task. It drives me crazy to see my grandson use a good screwdriver as a chisel or pry-bar. I tell him to use the proper tool for the job.

I'm sorry I kinda hi-jacked this thread about particular wheel/tire combinations, but I figured those who've had troubles might read this thread searching for a solution and felt it was the responsible thing to suggest that they use the proper tire for the job. I've now begun to repeat my opinion mercilessly, so now I'm going to sit back and be quiet.
I want to make it clear I'm not condemning those who wanted larger wheels/tires for various reasons. We all have to be happy with our choices.
Kind regards to all...
Perfectly said and accurate.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #306
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
16" Sendel Wheels & 16" Michelin LTX Tires

Sorry to tell you this but the real reason that manufacturers use ST tires is because they are the cheapest they can buy wholesale.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #307
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Absolutely!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #308
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I saw a 2017 30 foot Classic with 16 inch Michelin LTs on a dealer lot today. Salesman said they were stock on the Classic now.