Old 09-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #281
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
On the road facts are actual reports that real people have given about their experiences. Those cant be ignored. I think you will find that any reputable trailer sales, not rvs, will recommend to their customers LT tires if asked about severe use ans mileage. And it doesn't take an engineer to repeat the same govt testing stats over and over. The mfg test results are only what the govt wants to here, not necessarily accurate.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #282
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
. . .
I'm sorry I kinda hi-jacked this thread
. . .
so now I'm going to sit back and be quiet.
. . .
Thank you.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #283
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
I toss this out to the hungry wolves on the thread:

Goodyear needs to make X number of ST belted tires for trailers to justify their being produced. The vast majority are no doubt being installed on Utility Trailers, mostly 15". It seems the people who buy the 15" D Rated Marathons when the Airstream owner 'upgrades' to Michelin LTX P 16" tires and wheels put the aluminum wheels and D Rated Marathons onto their utility trailers. At least that is what happened to my five.

I remember when Fiber Glass Belted tires were the rage.
I remember when steel belted tires were new and an upgrade from Fiber Glass.
I remember when ST tires were being upgraded by using LTX and LT tires....

I have to suspect that before ST tires... either Fiber Glass or Steel belted tires were being used. Does anyone know... probably Switz, does.

To find any well tested tires on a trailer... horse trailers and smaller livestock haulers. If anyone abuses tires... they rate on top.

After two weeks of paved and unpaved roads, I have had no issue with my Michelin tires nor the two popped rivets in the interior of my trailer. I can afford the three cents for a Lathe Screw to repair a weak section of pop rivets on the interior curved areas.

A ST Marathon may run for 15,000 miles, or considerably less. Two of my four 14" C Rated did not make it far enough to even measure the tread depth. They may not as many owners use their AS for three weeks a year and then... tire rot is blamed for their demise.

The tread is hard and has not much depth. No doubt to reduce rolling friction. Time parked is the enemy, not tread wear.

A Michelin may run 60,000 miles on my vehicle. The Michelins on my AS will have to be removed from my trailer due to the number of years exposed to the air and sunlight, not the 60,000 miles or more to wear the tread out.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #284
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Since Bob Thompsonís first mention of converting from ST to more reliable LT tires ("Tires...Tires...Tires" - Post #1, dated 05/01/05), there have been doubters who touted the virtues of Special Trailer tires and the foolishness of those who drank Bobís anecdotal LT-tire Kool-Aid, and switched.

Many have resisted the change and accepted the ST-tire marketing claims as truth, only to be later disappointed. Unfortunately, the ST tireís 52% failure rate will eventually catch up with many of them.

We who have switched are only trying to help those who have not, to avoid the anguish of time and money wasted on inferior tires. Time will tell whether the tire gods will smile, or wreak their havoc, upon their Airstreams.

In the meantime, best wishes to all for safe travels.
Mind providing a link to the study that determined this failure rate?
Old 09-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #285
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream Tire Failure Poll: Airstream Tire Failure Poll

Notes:

* One poll entry reported 16" LT tire failures. In fact, the tires were 15" Goodyear Marathon ST tires.

* One AirForums member reported that both he and a travel buddy both experienced 16" BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT tire failures. However, they had previously reported "no failures"; and they could not change their poll entries. To my knowledge, these are the only 16" LT tire failures that have been reported by AirForums members.

Tire brand and age data extracted from poll, above: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1311004

* One poll entry reported a Michelin tire failure. The AirForums member later contacted me and said that the Michelin tires on his Airstream were over 10 years old.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #286
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm sorry, but an Airstream forum poll is nowhere near a representative sample. Nice try though.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #287
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Airstream Tire Failure Poll: Airstream Tire Failure Poll

Notes:

* One poll entry reported 16" LT tire failures. In fact, the tires were 15" Goodyear Marathon ST tires.

* One AirForums member reported that both he and a travel buddy both experienced 16" BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT tire failures. However, they had previously reported "no failures"; and they could not change their poll entries. To my knowledge, these are the only 16" LT tire failures that have been reported by AirForums members.

Tire brand and age data extracted from poll, above: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1311004

* One poll entry reported a Michelin tire failure. The AirForums member later contacted me and said that the Michelin tires on his Airstream were over 10 years old.
I thought so. Not a very serious study. I have had 50% of my GYMs wear prematurely, but that was due to a faulty alignment on the front axle. Otherwise, no failures here.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #288

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
16" Sendel Wheels & 16" Michelin LTX Tires

Prior to ST tires I used bias belted tires on my Hi-Lo. I kept that trailer 14 years replacing the tires every 5th season. I was as anal on inflation pressures with those tires as I am today. Never had a failure all that time.

My next two trailers had Marathons but one an SOB, was aluminum framed. The other was an A/S Safari. In both cases the weight of the trailers were minimal compared to the weight ratings of the Marathons. Again no tire issues.

It was the Classic where my problems began, with belt separations on the Marathon and Maxxis ST's. The former failing at the end of season 3 and the latter at the beginning of season 4.

I think most of us are used to a 5 season life prior to replacing tires. But I contend that a heavy trailer like my slide out requires more frequent changes due to aging and the subsequent deterioration of the tire.

I've now passed the life span of my previous ST tires used on my Classic. I'll probably change out my Michelin's at the end of year 5.

Again I note my dealer who has had experience with those of us who have made the jump to 16" LT's and large 5th wheels that are coming from the manufacturer with 16's also. The LT's are holding up and are superior in dealing with speed, weight, and owner neglect.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I had Carlisle ST tire failure on a white box trailer that weighted less than my Airstream, too.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #290
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Regarding the ST vs LT vs Belted vs 15" vs 16" debates, I decided this past Spring to go as bulletproof as I could:

Due to the 9,000 GVW of my 2014 27FB Classic I had to go with 16" rims to get the weight rating in an LT series. So, I bought 4 Sendel 16" rims and 1 Dexter steel 16" rim for the spare. All exceeded my weight rating requirements.

I decided on Michelin LT tires, based primarily on feedback from the forums; and addressed the belt issue by going with the more expensive XPS rib because it had the steel belts, including a steel belt in the sidewalls on all 5 wheels. And I threw in new McGuard lugs and Centramatic balancers, and a TST TPMS system for good measure. That's as over-engineered as I could go.

I've done one 3400 mile round-trip with the new running gear, and everything performed flawlessly. I am running the tires at 75psi cold, which puts them well over the weight rating necessary for the 7200lb loaded trip weight of the trailer; and, in conjunction with the Equalizer/AirSafe hitch combination, not a drawer is opened nor a pillow on the floor - even after long stretches of I-20 and I-81.

Was all of the above cheap? No. Was it cheap insurance to protect a $140,000 investment in TV/TT? Worked so far...

Granted, good maintenance and vigilance on the road (and a crack Guardian Angel) must be added to the safety equation; but at least I can reflect that I upgraded the mechanicals and peripherals to the best standards I could find.

Just my experience and $0.02 worth...
Old 09-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #291
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the report, good to know.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #292
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Just replaced the GYM 225/75-R15s with the Nokian Totiiva AT All season. Posted new thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...15-156339.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
Getting ready to order the new 16" Sendels but keep going back to the Nokian Rotiiva AT 235/75R15 116/113 S, max load 2760.

Has anyone used the Nokian?

It is.59" taller and .39" wider which I think .2" would clear the wheel well opening lip just fine.

I am often pulling in and out of the snow, sometimes heavy, visiting family in Phoenix over Christmas and Spring Break so I like the aggressive nature of the tread and its bent toward being more of a winter tire. I am not concerned about tread life as age will win over miles.

Thoughts?

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Re: The Tire Gods at Work

The tire gods at work: Trouble with Tires - AirForums

Note to AirForums member "TheWoodsman": Glad you were able to maintain control and stop safely. And, special thanks to the Virginia State Police for their assistance. Hope your Airstream is repaired quickly, and you are back on the road soon. Best wishes for safe travels!
Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #294
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
On this thread and others posters have said that they are choosing/have chosen the Sendel rims to use with 16" Michelins. I get the Michelin part, but why the preference for Sendel among the many rim/wheel suppliers. Tire stores like Discount Tire have a wide selection of 16" aluminum rims to choose from, why the preference for Sendel?

1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote