Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Was able to sell my four 15" Sendel aluminum wheels and the 15" spare with mounted 15" Marathons on Craigslist for $400.00. The buyer was going to put them on a flat bed trailer they tow. It had steel wheels and the idea of one new tire and four with less than 4,000 miles was perfect for what they needed them for.

I had... ONE.... call, only to this buyer after several weeks of listings.

I reduced the price from $500 to $400 and they sold after a week.

What I have noticed between the Marathon tires and the Michelins is the amount of rubber tread and the difference in texture of the rubber. The Marathons are harder rubber and less tread, compared to the Michelin's rubber mix and much more tread for wear.

On my Tundra our 18" version of Michelin LTX tires had almost 58,000 miles of use and the trade in to the dealer did not discount the tire wear, since they still had more than enough tread remaining.

I hope to have a similar experience on these tires running on my Airstream. It may be that it will not be tire wear, but tire... age, that will require replacement. In two weeks these tires will be tested well in Wyoming's back roads. Other than the tread picking up stones and tossing them into the fender wells... I will be one... happy camper.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #198
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Thanks to everyone on this thread.

We"ve upgraded on both Airstreams and our TV (Expedition) to the Michelins. Replaced the first pair on the Expedition and had to change to Michelin Defender LTs due to discontinuation of the LTX - LTs. We're fans and have noticed the affinity of the tread to grab small stones Ray mentioned.

Roy and Marie

Old 08-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Following Thread... August 13 begins the TESTing

I have not posted for awhile, not from disinterest, but due to no new information to add.

August 13 to August 24 these 16" tires will get a workout in Wyoming. It is then, I will have new information.

I purchased a F350 Ford 6.7L Diesel with LT275/70R18 Michelin LTX AT2 with factory tire pressures of 65psi for the Front and 80psi for the rear tires. Checking some Ford Forums, these tire pressures are the factory tire pressures for towing... and for non towing for the F250 and F350.

Ford truck owners also have different opinions for comfortable tire pressures and riding comfort, by Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 truck owners. This will also be part of the conversation to come.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Good choice Ray. I'll watch for your follow up.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #201
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
I haven't read the whole thread yet. But plan to upgrade my fc 25 to 16 wheel and Michelin tires.

The Costco Dallas said they could get the tires and do the installation. Anyone has done trailer tires with Costco? I Know they do car tires. Maybe no difference?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadmywing View Post
I haven't read the whole thread yet. But plan to upgrade my fc 25 to 16 wheel and Michelin tires.

The Costco Dallas said they could get the tires and do the installation. Anyone has done trailer tires with Costco? I Know they do car tires. Maybe no difference?
Big difference in Trailer, Car and Truck tires. Have them explain the C, D and E Ratings on various tires. Michelin sells Car and Truck tires. P for Passenger cars and LT for Light Truck.

There are a few threads running with lots of excellent numbers to follow...

I also had a set of 14" C Rated Maxxis, which gave me no trouble. These were to replace the 14" Marathons, C Rated, not to confuse with the better 15" Marathons that are D Rated.

I went to Costco for Tow Max tires as it was convenient and I am a 'believer' in Nitrogen and Costco's can be found anywhere in the USA. They also take care of you if you have a... problem. I have had NO problems with their tires... so a Win/Win, I believe.

Costco sells Tow Max (Greenball) 14" C Rated trailer tires. I had a set on my 23 foot Safari and was not disappointed, compared to the troublesome Marathon 14" tires. I am sure they have 15" tires, as well. Let Costco do the research... everyone has an opinion on the Forum on tires, but Costco makes good on their mistakes.

I have noticed that Trailer Tires have less tire tread. My instincts tells me to replace when they once at 50% or a flat tire from running over a small stone on asphalt giving me a flat tire. They tend to wear out quickly and making a sharp turn will leave enough rubber to waterproof the highway, if you are not thinking your turns ahead.

The Michelins... the tires will rot before I wear them out. When you figure the cost to upgrade to the Michelin, consider how many trailer rated tires you will wear out if you travel a lot.

There use, or still have, Excise Taxes for the weight of rubber to make a tire. More rubber, the more it cost in taxes. Use to be one thing to look for back in the 20th Century.

Traveling tire wear... not parked at a RV Park for months or at storage.

I travel many BLM and Forest Service roads into the Rocky Mountains. At times you have one or two tires in the air, while two are doing their job on some turn outs to a campsite. Sometimes I use leveling blocks to make the transition... it all depends on how the plumbing will clear. Going UP grade from the road grader main road work on a flat road, with the edge five to eight inches to clear, is almost always SAFE. Going DOWN... watch for the plumbing and bumper DRAG. Tires do not make any difference at these moments, other than capacity to handle the load. (Like driving over a vertical concrete curb as you depart a Walmart... campsite.)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #203
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Big difference in Trailer, Car and Truck tires. Have them explain the C, D and E Ratings on various tires. Michelin sells Car and Truck tires. P for Passenger cars and LT for Light Truck.

There are a few threads running with lots of excellent numbers to follow...

I also had a set of 14" C Rated Maxxis, which gave me no trouble. These were to replace the 14" Marathons, C Rated, not to confuse with the better 15" Marathons that are D Rated.

I went to Costco for Tow Max tires as it was convenient and I am a 'believer' in Nitrogen and Costco's can be found anywhere in the USA. They also take care of you if you have a... problem. I have had NO problems with their tires... so a Win/Win, I believe.

Costco sells Tow Max (Greenball) 14" C Rated trailer tires. I had a set on my 23 foot Safari and was not disappointed, compared to the troublesome Marathon 14" tires. I am sure they have 15" tires, as well. Let Costco do the research... everyone has an opinion on the Forum on tires, but Costco makes good on their mistakes.

I have noticed that Trailer Tires have less tire tread. My instincts tells me to replace when they once at 50% or a flat tire from running over a small stone on asphalt giving me a flat tire. They tend to wear out quickly and making a sharp turn will leave enough rubber to waterproof the highway, if you are not thinking your turns ahead.

The Michelins... the tires will rot before I wear them out. When you figure the cost to upgrade to the Michelin, consider how many trailer rated tires you will wear out if you travel a lot.

There use, or still have, Excise Taxes for the weight of rubber to make a tire. More rubber, the more it cost in taxes. Use to be one thing to look for back in the 20th Century.

Traveling tire wear... not parked at a RV Park for months or at storage.

I travel many BLM and Forest Service roads into the Rocky Mountains. At times you have one or two tires in the air, while two are doing their job on some turn outs to a campsite. Sometimes I use leveling blocks to make the transition... it all depends on how the plumbing will clear. Going UP grade from the road grader main road work on a flat road, with the edge five to eight inches to clear, is almost always SAFE. Going DOWN... watch for the plumbing and bumper DRAG. Tires do not make any difference at these moments, other than capacity to handle the load. (Like driving over a vertical concrete curb as you depart a Walmart... campsite.)
Good info in this post. Experience counts.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We did the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tire (the model in 2014 now called a Defender series) and SenDel T03-66655T 16" wheels as soon as I got the the 2014 Classic off the dealer lot and to the storage unit. Since those were the tires and wheels being installed by Airstream on the Eddie Baurer model of the time and were for sale as one walked into the Jackson Center service center store, we knew Airstream had endorsed their use. They are now standard on the 2015 and later Classics. We acquired the tires at CostCo and the wheels from the local Discount Tire store. CostCo had mounted the tires on the wheels before the trailer had even arrived.

I acquired the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires like I had installed on our 2013 25FB International Serenity (now also a Defender series) and 15" SenDel T03-56545T wheels from the local Discount tire and carried the mounted tires and wheels in a U-Haul trailer to Colonial to replace the stock 14" GYM ST215/75R14C tires and wheels on the new 2015 23D International Serenity Since the wheel wells were NOT symmetrical, we had to do a little metal smithing on the curb side front opening to get tire clearance.

The 15" tire with the heaviest load is carrying 1,360 pounds per my individual wheel scales. The 10% derated load capacity for trailer use is 1,985 pounds (slightly higher on the new Defender series) and is more than adequate reserve load capacity of over 40%.

The added advantage for us was the 15" tires elevated the 23D to the same elevation as the 25FB and the reused Hensley Arrow hitch could have the same settings as we used when towing the 25FB with the same 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI with the V6 diesel.

We tow at 55 mph with the 23D & Mercedes combination and that works out fine for this transmission and engine combination even on the 6% grades we travel to get out of the Phoenix area. Slowing to around 30 mph on 6/7% down grades, the V6 diesel engine back pressure works as an engine brake so the actual brakes are seldom needed.

The 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins tows the Classic at 65 mph all day long (unless posted slower of course). The engine exhaust brake handles speed regulation on the down grades with little additional braking required. However, we converted the 31' Classic to disc brakes and there is more than adequate stopping power even on down grades.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
16" Sendel Wheels & 16" Michelin LTX Tires

Does anyone know the overall diameter of the 16" wheel and Michelin tires? Need to replace tire covers. AS is over 90 miles away at the moment.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #206
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Field measurement, just a minute ago: 29"

Roy
Old 08-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
From the Michelin data: LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 rated 2,680 pounds @ 80 psi and 29.2" diameter

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thanks guys! Appreciate the quick response. My old tire covers have totally been eaten by the sunlight here in the CA desert, so I have to get a new set.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #209
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Finally bit down and ordered a set of Sendel T03 wheels (http://www.sendelwheel.com/wheels/t03bm) and matching Michelin LT255/75 R16 tires for our trailer. Manager briefly tried to re-sell me on ST tires, but I reassured him with the fact that Airstream has for years sold trailers just like ours with the same wheels / tires I was ordering from him. Oh, he says, "I guess you did your research. That's good." He was also comforted when he realized we were significantly increasing the load capacity of our wheels and tires, even though the new Michelins aren't officially "trailer" tires. <sigh>

Everything should show up by early next week. If all goes as planned, they'll mount/balance/install the new gear along with the Centramatics we received last month, and I'll bring the 15" wheels home sans the old tires, which are 3 years old anyway.

<edit> Current plan is to keep the existing spare 15" wheel/tire, as that means I don't have to bend the rack to put a bigger tire in there. If it's possible, in a pinch, to tow a trailer on three wheels, it should be OK to have one 15" tire on there until we can get to a tire service location. Later we may upgrade to a 16" wheel for the spare, but it doesn't seem critical for now. </edit>

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #210
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Are you getting TPMS, too?
The best time to mount the sensors in the wheels is when you are getting new tires anyway.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote