Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It may be a post I made to which Ray is referring.
I bought the Michelin LTX M+S 2 tires for my truck and when I got home perused the label which the installer had removed. I also checked online and found that the "winter triangle" or "mountain snowflake" symbol which genuine winter/snow tires should display is not on the tire.
From the MIchelin site, where they clearly are proud of this tire, and they also noted that the symbol is not applicable to this tire.

I personally bought this tire because I thought it would be a good snow tire, and perhaps it might serve that as well as other tires, but the LTX is NOT a severe snow tire, and I thought the M+S label was misleading. YMMV
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My decision was based on that the OE wheels on the Eddie Bauer with the wide black fender trim had the black inlays and the OE wheels on the new Classic have silver inlays.
I have a 2013 Classic.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Happy to say that Rocinante got new shoes yesterday, size 16". She also got Centramatic balancers. Attachment 269942
Rocinante looking sweet. Another 20-footer, Waldosgone I believe also went for the black inlays and they're starting to grow on me. A little contrast with the the AS seems to make a huge difference.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It may be a post I made to which Ray is referring.
I bought the Michelin LTX M+S 2 tires for my truck and when I got home perused the label which the installer had removed. I also checked online and found that the "winter triangle" or "mountain snowflake" symbol which genuine winter/snow tires should display is not on the tire.
From the MIchelin site, where they clearly are proud of this tire, and they also noted that the symbol is not applicable to this tire.

I personally bought this tire because I thought it would be a good snow tire, and perhaps it might serve that as well as other tires, but the LTX is NOT a severe snow tire, and I thought the M+S label was misleading. YMMV
Thanks Boxite, that helps. I think I need to do some homework re OR chain laws to see how this trigger chain requirements (when not towing). quite frankly if I need to chain up the TV and the TOAD, I'll be waiting at the bosom of the hill for clear AC

Thx

Bob
Old 08-26-2016, 01:00 AM   #225
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
My decision was based on that the OE wheels on the Eddie Bauer with the wide black fender trim had the black inlays and the OE wheels on the new Classic have silver inlays.
I have a 2013 Classic.

Ah that's cool. We have an International Signature, and thought the EB wheels would be nice. We're both right.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 AM   #226
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My wife works at the public library.
I'm gonna get her to check out Travels with Charley for me.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
M&S = Mud and Slop?

Michelin M & S.... = Michelin Mud and Slop

Those of us in Snow Country know how aggressive actual snow tire treads are. I do not need or desire to have 'snow tires' on my tow vehicle and for sure, not on my Airstream.

I also do not know what M&S means.

In wet compact snow on pavement... good luck on any tire. The wider the tire, the worse traction. Been there, done that... learned the hard way in Wyoming.

In dry snow... the M&S are fine.
In moderate muddy and sloppy all season Forest Service roads... M&S are fine.
In muddy soil... bring a tow truck for anyone getting into this mess.

I am sure there are many other brands that are dependable. Buy them for YOUR tow vehicle and/or trailer. When I find a product that works well for me... I tend to stick with it.

Michelin's have a warranty. Never needed to used it, so cannot say if it is of any value.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #228
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Better Tires seem to always Weigh MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Ray was the above thread this thread, a different thread on AF or elsewhere?

You're speaking of LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 correct?

I'm thinking of using these on my TV but dropping down from 19" rims to 17's, then the following year the going with the 16" sendels and the above.

Thx

Bob

This could be another Thread I made comment and directing them to follow some of the great information supplied by others on this Thread.

My first job was working at Sears Catalog in Kansas City, Missouri, Department 28 Automotive for $1.25 an hour. When removing tires from the trucks bringing in inventory... we, those rolling them into the warehouse, KNEW which tires had rubber by weight and the cheap tires you could roll two at a time.

... Die Hard batteries were also a treat. Die HARD? They seemed to die mid warranty so you would pay to have the battery replaced under warranty. Almost like a captive customer. Also had a group on a trickle charge for the next live one...
Old 08-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #229
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yes, the higher the load range, the more plies, and the longer the tread life, the heavier the tires are. More rubber and steel and whatever else is in the guts of a tire- kevlar?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #230
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
OK, some FYI's:

1) The definition of *M&S* is a geometric definition described in words written by the RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association). It is not based on any testing (except to say that you can *test* against the words in the definition.) Please note: I couldn't find a link to the definition, so it must exist off line in some publication.

Also, the symbol between the M and the S can also be +, -, /, or no symbol at all.

2) Higher Load Range = more plies? Not exactly. As a general rule, higher load range means more inflation pressure, and you need more strength to cope with that higher pressure - BUT - there are enough variations in material properties that pretty much all LT and ST tires only need 2 plies of polyester.

3) Long tread life = heavier tire? Not exactly. Tread compounds can vary quite a bit - from grippy, but short lived, to long wearing, but not so grippy - and they weigh pretty much the same.

Not to mention that some tires have more tread depth than others, and they may weigh more, but that difference can be completely negated by the tread compound.

And the amount of steel or *whatever* is not much of a factor in tire wear - and certainly no manufacturer puts in extra steel or *whatever* to improve tire wear.

4) Tire Weight = Quality? Not exactly. Some of the best tires are pretty light. High quality tire manufacturers know how to properly engineer a tire with minimal weight - where poor quality tire manufacturers don't.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The following tires are commonly used on Airstreams, listed in order by weight:
  • 31 pounds - Goodyear Marathon, ST225/75x15, Special Trailer, Load Range D, 65 psi, 2-ply polyester, 2 steel radial belts

• 32 pounds - Michelin LTX M/S2, P235/75x15XL, Extra Load Passenger Car Tire, 50 psi, 2-ply polyester, 2 steel radial belts

• 34 pounds - Michelin Defender LTX M/S, 235/75x15XL, Extra Load Passenger Car Tire, 50 psi, 2-ply polyester, 2 steel radial belts

• 38 pounds - Michelin LTX M/S2, LT225/75X16, Light Truck, Load Range E, 80 psi, 2 ply polyester, 3 steel radial belts *

• 49 pounds - Michelin XPS Rib, LT225/75x16, Light Truck, Load Range E, 80 psi, 1-ply steel, 3 steel radial belts *

In my opinion, this order also reflects increases in price, relative load-carrying capacity, resistance to failure (due to belt slippage, tread separation and blowouts), and tread wear.

Note: We are on our second set of LTX M/S2's on our 2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax; and our 2005 19' Bambi still has its first set of XPS Ribs on it (with absolutely no tire problems) since switching from ST tires 5.5 years ago.

* Most members with these 16" tires appear to still be on their first set since switching from OEM 15" wheels and ST tires; and the posts I recall reading seem to indicate negligible tread wear. Just curious, has anyone replaced these because the tread was worn out? Or, has anybody replaced them due to age? - Comments?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Oh, forgot to ask the obvious question:

Has anyone had a Michelin 16" LT tire failure due to belt slippage, tread separation or blowout?
Old 08-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The following tires are commonly used on Airstreams, listed in order by weight:
  • 31 pounds - Goodyear Marathon, ST225/75x15, Special Trailer, Load Range D, 65 psi, 2-ply polyester, 2 steel radial belts

• 32 pounds - Michelin LTX M/S2, P235/75x15XL, Extra Load Passenger Car Tire, 50 psi, 2-ply polyester, 2 steel radial belts

• 34 pounds - Michelin Defender LTX M/S, 235/75x15XL, Extra Load Passenger Car Tire, 50 psi, 2-ply polyester, 2 steel radial belts

• 38 pounds - Michelin LTX M/S2, LT225/75X16, Light Truck, Load Range E, 80 psi, 2 ply polyester, 3 steel radial belts *

• 49 pounds - Michelin XPS Rib, LT225/75x16, Light Truck, Load Range E, 80 psi, 1-ply steel, 3 steel radial belts *

In my opinion, this order also reflects increases in price, relative load-carrying capacity, resistance to failure (due to belt slippage, tread separation and blowouts), and tread wear.

Note: We are on our second set of LTX M/S2's on our 2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax; and our 2005 19' Bambi still has its first set of XPS Ribs on it (with absolutely no tire problems) since switching from ST tires 5.5 years ago.

* Most members with these 16" tires appear to still be on their first set since switching from OEM 15" wheels and ST tires; and the posts I recall reading seem to indicate negligible tread wear. Just curious, has anyone replaced these because the tread was worn out? Or, has anybody replaced them due to age? - Comments?
The load ranges would be helpful. MIchelin makes it difficult to find the load ratings of their tires, but I did discover the 34 lb Defender LTX M/S, 235/75x15XL can carry 2271 lbs. single axle. That would push the limit on my 22' Sport.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Tires - Maximum Load

Maximum load:
  • 2,540 pounds - Goodyear Marathon, ST225/75x15, Special Trailer, Load Range D

• 2,183 pounds - Michelin LTX M/S2, P235/75x15XL

• 2,271 pounds - Michelin Defender LTX M/S, 235/75x15XL

• 2,680 pounds - Michelin LTX M/S2, LT225/75X16

• 2,680 pounds - Michelin XPS Rib, LT225/75x16
Old 08-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
LTX M/S2 is Correct....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

This could be another Thread I made comment and directing them to follow some of the great information supplied by others on this Thread.

My first job was working at Sears Catalog in Kansas City, Missouri, Department 28 Automotive for $1.25 an hour. When removing tires from the trucks bringing in inventory... we, those rolling them into the warehouse, KNEW which tires had rubber by weight and the cheap tires you could roll two at a time.

... Die Hard batteries were also a treat. Die HARD? They seemed to die mid warranty so you would pay to have the battery replaced under warranty. Almost like a captive customer. Also had a group on a trickle charge for the next live one...

Took a flashlight and looked at my Trailer's tires... LTX M/S2 is correct.

LT225 / 75R16 LTX M/S2

My tow vehicle are LTX A/T2's

CruzinDux brought this up on Post #217.

I also see the differences in tires on Posts #231 & 234 by Phoenix.

Thank you for getting my tires back on their... rims.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #236
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks for the follow up Ray. I'll check out the two posts you referenced. I had originally planned to go with the same tire LT225 / 75R16 LTX M/S2 (appropriately sized) for the TV and Toad. Probably won't opt for the LTX A/T2 as we don't boondock or back-road but will take a second look.

Thanks for the feedback.
Bob
Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #237
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
M/S2 has less aggressive tread than the A/T2

Quote:
Thanks for the follow up Ray. I'll check out the two posts you referenced. I had originally planned to go with the same tire LT225 / 75R16 LTX M/S2 (appropriately sized) for the TV and Toad. Probably won't opt for the LTX A/T2 as we don't boondock or back-road but will take a second look.
Thanks for the feedback.
Bob
I will compare the tire tread of the M/S2 and the A/T2 LTX's. Our 2008 Land Cruiser has the P275 65R18 LT A/T2 as well as our Ford F350 LT275 70R18 LTX A/T2's.

Our 25 footer has M/S2 Michelin's.

OK. Now there is a big difference in tire treads:

A/T2 LTX have a more aggressive tread pattern
M/S2 has a less aggressive tread pattern, more in line with a trailer's need.

For a trailer I would have chosen the M/S2 on my own. I would call it more of a passenger car tread pattern. This is what apparently Costco feels is appropriate for trailers.

Better than the no tread used on UHaul trucks which can get stuck on a banana peel.

Again... M/S meaning?... although CapriRacer tossed out an idea. It obviously has to do with the tread pattern... but still not content with what it means. The '2' may be the second generation so they can charge more than the '1' generation.... These would NOT do well on mud, snow, sleet, slop, cow patty's and other similar road conditions, IF on a pickup truck.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Link to post that explains tread differences between Michelin XPS Ribs, LTX M/S2 and LTX A/T2:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1485434
Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 AM   #239
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Phoenix for that 2014 link, and thanks also to Ray for this thread, and to CruzinDux and others for the recent discussion. After reading many tire threads, we will probably follow Ray's route here for our FC20. Timing TBD, but before any major road trips for sure.

Bob, have you checked the availability in your area for the Michelin LT225 / 75R16 LTX M/S2 in Load Range E, which is what we need for our single-axle FC20's right? [5,000 lbs. gross weight]

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.
Bob

Tire Rack listing:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=275R6LTXMS2
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #240
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
.......... Again... M/S meaning?... although CapriRacer tossed out an idea. It obviously has to do with the tread pattern... but still not content with what it means. The '2' may be the second generation so they can charge more than the '1' generation.... These would NOT do well on mud, snow, sleet, slop, cow patty's and other similar road conditions, IF on a pickup truck.
First, there is the industry designation M/S, which has one meaning - and a fairly precise one at that. Short version: M/S = All Season

Then there is the use of those letters in a tire brand - which can have a completely different meaning - one that only the marketing department of the brand involved will know. It's the second meaning that is bothering you - and that is understandable.

My interpretation? The Michelin tire with those letters is a slightly more aggressive All Season tire than the A/S, but not to the point where they could use the A/T letters (perhaps for All Terrain?)
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote