Old 05-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #155
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
You do not have to run max stated pressure that is a common mistake.You can adjust the tire pressure accordingly but too low and you will have increased the sidewall flex which with tandem axles is not good thing when doing a tight gas station maneuver etc..Just use a little common sense and you will be fine.I run 65-68 psi on my 28ft International and have for many miles with great success and even wear.
Agreed. With the pivot point in the center of the two axles on tandems there is more sidewall pressure. I am going to have to consider that. Maybe your 65 to 68 psi would be the better option.

TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #156

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It really comes down to knowing the weight of your trailer when loaded. For those with lighter Airstreams, it comes down to knowing that weight and then using the load inflation chart with some additional pressure to give you some reserve load capacity.

Airstream and other trailer manufacturers always use max inflation temperatures on their inflation recommendations due to the fact that they have no idea what load you will be carrying. With liabilities what they are today, I'm sure someone would sue them if their recommendation was short and a tire blew to an overload condition.

My advice is if you don't know for sure, error towards carrying more pressure. My Classic can have as much as 9,100 lbs of weight and running at 80 psi cold gives me the confidence that I am inflated for the loads I carry with some reserve.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We are in the 65-68 psi club for our !6" Michelins as well. Could be less for softer ride and better braking on wet road, but it's a reasonable compromise considering the sidewall flex backing into a site (which are usually soil of some kind so there is not much traction, tires can slip to the side a little).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #158

Fenton , Missouri
As to the pressure on the sidewalls when turning, don't discount that. On my old Hi-Lo prior to ST tires, I once moved my trailer to my new home which was just completed in January. I was only about 5 miles from my rental home to the new one, so I didn't check the tire pressures due to the cold and short trip. As I was backing into the drive I broke the bead between the sidewall and a wheel when executing a pivot.

I've also been in a campground where a fellow trailer owner was backing in his site. He also experienced the bead breaking between the sidewall and wheel on the pivot. He promptly put on his spare to continue the back in and the spare which was under inflated also broke its bead as he continued the back in.

Don't underestimate the need for proper inflation pressures to deal with the sidewall stresses.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #159
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I changed to 16" wheels and Michelins about 3.5yrs ago and never looked back. I estimate about 30k miles in this time so we're on the high mileage end. I keep the trailer inflated to 70# and my truck to 80#. A few years ago I tried lowering the trailer tire pressure to about 60# and seemed to induce sway that I've never had before so I went back up and no sway incidence, ever. I often do the hand check when we stop for excess heat buildup on the tires and hubs and all has been good there too. I never had a problem with the GYM's and Maxxis trailer tires but did note that one GYM had begun to fail by showing the beginnings of tread separation when I changed them out.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I changed to 16" wheels and Michelins about 3.5yrs ago and never looked back. I estimate about 30k miles in this time so we're on the high mileage end. I keep the trailer inflated to 70# and my truck to 80#. A few years ago I tried lowering the trailer tire pressure to about 60# and seemed to induce sway that I've never had before so I went back up and no sway incidence, ever. I often do the hand check when we stop for excess heat buildup on the tires and hubs and all has been good there too. I never had a problem with the GYM's and Maxxis trailer tires but did note that one GYM had begun to fail by showing the beginnings of tread separation when I changed them out.

Great minds think and do a like. I do exactly what Rodger does, 80# on Truck, an F350 Diesel and 70# on 30' Flying Cloud. No complaints.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I inflate my 16" tires to 65 psi per the tire placard on the side of the trailer.
By the time I drive around a little bit the pressure increases to 70 psi.
Should I inflate to 70?
I thought the psi, load carrying capacity of the tires, and weight had already been thought out, thus the tire inflation placard.
My thought process my be skewed though, because the tire placard is for the original Load Range D 15" tires.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #162

Fenton , Missouri
16" Sendel Wheels & 16" Michelin LTX Tires

Derating is required if you are using P tires. Use caution when dealing with 15" non ST tires. True LT tires are not derated when using them on trailers. Just use caution on inflation pressures to cover your trailers weight and some reserve capacity.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/refer...tion-tables/#/

This table is for the XPS Rib tire but the LTX M/S 2 tires have the same max load capacities and weight limitations.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #163
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Derating is required if you are using P tires. Use caution when dealing with 15" non ST tires. True LT tires are not derated when using them on trailers. Just use caution on inflation pressures to cover your trailers weight and some reserve capacity.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/refer...tion-tables/#/

This table is for the XPS Rib tire but the LTX M/S 2 tires have the same max load capacities and weight limitations.

Jack
Jack,

You may well be correct. However, in discussions I have read here before, there are "tire experts" who say to derate LT tires using the same logical as used for derating P tires. It certainly makes sense to me. In any case that is what I have done. If nothing else it gives me piece of mind. My logic is that light trucks are just "obese" passenger cars when it comes to the physics of it all.

Ken
Old 05-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have LT tires.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
PSI at 71 Nitrogen filled from Costco

My 16" Michelins 225's are inflated to 71psi at Costco with Nitrogen. My gauge and theirs might have correlated at 70psi cold temperature.

As I travel I will also monitor the psi when cold to see if I am losing any pressure. My GYM 'Marathons' with air always needed to be brought back up to pressure. My bicycle with air always need to be brought up to pressure. No wonder many convert to Nitrogen fill of their tires.

My Airstream will be looked at closely for any signs of a tough hard ride. NO rivets have popped since converted from GYM to Michelin tires.

When cleaning out the trailer from the last dusty road travel, dust had accumulated at the base of the rear window corner and frame inside. It was from the latches on both sides not being tight enough against the gasket. Not because of the tire change... Just a bit more pressure of glass to gasket should take care of this dust problem.

Again... happy, happy and traveling highway speeds is not a worry of a tire failure.

The story is not finished but from what I read... it is expected to be a Happy Ending.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #166

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Jack,

You may well be correct. However, in discussions I have read here before, there are "tire experts" who say to derate LT tires using the same logical as used for derating P tires. It certainly makes sense to me. In any case that is what I have done. If nothing else it gives me piece of mind. My logic is that light trucks are just "obese" passenger cars when it comes to the physics of it all.

Ken
Ken here's the post from one of our tire industry folks who frequent the forum. Check out post 40 in this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1784202

Here is his web site. http://www.barrystiretech.com/pmetricvsltmetric.html

Here's the DOT reg that deals with derating and note it only talks about P tire derating. Check out section E.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...dex.html#ref39

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #167
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
I was quoted $1200 to upgrade to 16" setup when ordering new AS FC. seems a bit steep for an upgrade. Anyone have a comparison quote to share?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #168

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
I was quoted $1200 to upgrade to 16" setup when ordering new AS FC. seems a bit steep for an upgrade. Anyone have a comparison quote to share?
It is pricey. You can do this yourself and buy the wheels from the manufacturer or reseller and get the tires from a local or Internet retailer. You can then sell the wheels and tires to offset the total costs.

I sold my wheels for $200. I discarded my tires since they were ST's and I had encountered failures. I bought the tires from Discounttiredirect.com which shipped them to me for free along with a $100 Visa Cash card. Discounttiredirect.com had agreement with local tire shops in the area to mount and balance the tires for $16 each.

So there is some work for you but if you want to save money there are alternatives.

Jack

AIR #56