Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Since Airstream is now offering optional 16" wheels with LT tires - Good Year Wranglers - I suspect they're probably usable on most if not all trailers that come with 15" wheels. But the best source of info on that is to give Airstream a call.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'm happy to hear that the larger size tires and wheels work on the trailers without any problems. I was concerned with clearence issues but I guess it is unfounded.
This opens the door for many of us to finally be able to use better tires on these units.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'm happy to hear that the larger size tires and wheels work on the trailers without any problems. I was concerned with clearence issues but I guess it is unfounded.
This opens the door for many of us to finally be able to use better tires on these units.
There is not a clearance problem. I have had Michelin E rated 16s on my trailer for 2 1/2 years. Unlike an SOB the Airstream axles can not move the tires for or aft, so an inch is an inch.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Next blowout I'm going to 16"/Michelin's 'E'-load. I noticed on my hub a sticker stating "USE ONLY 0 OFFSET". Anybody know the width on the OEM aluminum 5 spoke rims?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
hub a sticker stating "USE ONLY 0 OFFSET".
I wonder why the hub would have an offset limit.

Both the wheels I am using and the wheels noted above have a -8mm offset.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Just returned from a 1400 mile trip last week

and the 16" wheels and Michelin tires worked great. I used the same wheels on the AS and the LC. (Outlaw II from American Racing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1202.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	87999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1229.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	499.8 KB
ID:	88000  

Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I've noticed some pretty good camber on the wheels when backing into tight spots... so much so, it appears abnormal... since the wheels tuck up into the well, could this be the reason?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollertoaster View Post
We changed our wheels and tires today from the OEM Marathons to 225/75R16
Michelin LTX A/S load range E tires.
Terry
Terry, are those LTX M/S (mud and snow) or LTX A/T2 or something else? I have been checking out all the Michelins that would fit and I haven't seen an LTX A/S.

Were you able to use the OEM hubcabs? I like those wheels and they seem easier to clean.

The references to "offset" are a mystery to me. I never had to know anything about wheels. What does it mean?

Glad to see they fit well. I did some measuring the other day and LTX would have about 5/8" clearance and LTX A/T2 would have about 3/4" according to what I figured out.

Gene
Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

The references to "offset" are a mystery to me. I never had to know anything about wheels. What does it mean?

Gene
Gene,

here's a good article-
Wheel Tech - Offset

it's where the wheels hub-mating surface is in relation to the wheels centerline.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Anyone using the Michelin XPS Rib tire on their trailer? It's a highway tread design instead of a mud and snow. I have used them on my last 2 trucks with no problems. They have steel belts behind the tread and the side walls. I found it surprising but they ride real smooth too!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Bluto wrote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Anyone using the Michelin XPS Rib tire on their trailer?
We have run XPS ribs for a couple of years. We feel our choice has been a wise change. See our thread for a more in depth discussion.

Bye,
Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
Bluto wrote We have run XPS ribs for a couple of years. We feel our choice has been a wise change. See our thread for a more in depth discussion.

Bye,
Paul
I can't believe I've never come across that thread... thanks.

As much as I want Michelin's, not crazy about the larger wheel- from an aesthetic as well as performance standpoint.

Maybe use a lower aspect ratio... 65 or 55? From searches so far, it looks like lower aspect ratio tires have lower load ratings... which is problematic since my trailer CAT's around 10,000lbs for CC trips
Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
...Maybe use a lower aspect ratio... 65 or 55? From searches so far, it looks like lower aspect ratio tires have lower load ratings... which is problematic since my trailer CAT's around 10,000lbs for CC trips
hi fc'

folks do this, but there are issues...

-lower aspect ratio=LESS VOLUME of air, as much as 50% less.

-which makes potholes and curbs and camping lumps more likely to damage the tires/wheels.

-lower aspect ratio leaves LESS margin for error on the tire pressure issue. 3-5 psi loss is BIG DEAL with shorter tires.

on multi axle trailers parking, backing up and turning put a LOT of stress on the sidewalls as the tires ROLL or squirm away from the pivot point.

ST tires are designed to handle that issue, P and LT tires are not.

this might not be a problem for single axle trailers OR basic towing on the open road,

but i back into a lot of TIGHT spaces and can watch the tires roll over and leave rubber in an arc or plow the gravel...

another point 4 confusion (finding proper LOAD tires in NON st format )...

here is a tiny snip from this thread... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...s-e-56442.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
...on a RELATED issue,

there is a difference between tires with an st tire LOAD RATING and a P/LT tire LOAD INDEX...

this is ONE of reasons why trying to select and use LT tires for towing is tricky,

because the LOAD INDEX of LT tires doesn't EQUAL the LOAD RATING of ST tires...

folks confuse this issue regularly which is understandable...
LT tires are not load rated for the ISSUES st tires must tolerate.

and even LT tires fail...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...art-25929.html

i enjoy reading and learning from those who have made the LT hop and appreciate their efforts.

clearly it has been successful for some, but i'm not going there anytime soon.

there are E rated st tires with several brand names, that fit your trailer weight.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Very interesting threads 2air, and I have some thoughts/questions.

Some people use Michelin XPS Ribs because they have a steel cord in the sidewall, thus they believe that sidewall is equivalent to the stronger sidewalls ST tires have. I doubt there's a definitive answer to this.

Perhaps an very good tire not exactly engineered for the purpose intended is better than a not so good tire engineered for the purpose intended—i.e., is any Michelin LT tire better than a Marathon? "Better" for what? Sidewall strength, UV, speed, load seem to be the components most talked about, but traction and tire life are important too.

I know about the lateral pressure on tires when backing, but I haven't seen any posts: "My LT tires came off the rims while backing into a tight space". Maybe this is not a problem. The posts I haven't seen are about both LTX and XPS Ribs (I suppose the possibly nonexistent posts I haven't seen are also about wooden buckboard wheels too).

There's a difference between Load Range (letters life D and E) and Load Index (numbers like 94, 115, etc.) and that they measure different things. Load Index measure vertical stress and generally applies to car tires and some light trucks. Load Range measures horizontal stress and has been usually the tire of choice for trucks and trailers. Some tires are rated both ways—thus the Michelin 225/75/16 LTX and XPS are 115 and E. So if the Marathons, Maxxis and Michelins are all Load Range E, shouldn't all their sidewalls have the same strength?

UV problem: If I keep my tires covered when home, why is there a problem with LT's?

Gene