Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 321
A very instructive thread, indeed. I am still getting over the shock that I have to buy new tires and wheels for a brand new trailer, if I want to protect my family from an almost certain catastrophic blowout scenario.

The path taken here seems quite reasonable and I think will be a template for what I do in the next week or two, after I rob a few banks to pay for all this. (<--Joke).

I have a couple questions:

Q: If I convert to 16" wheels, but leave the spare at 15", is it really doable to drive on the 15" for say - 20 miles - if I had to? Anyone done this?

Q: I just looked briefly at the Dill TPMS. It seems reasonable at $229. Are there other systems at lower cost?

Thanks for the great info!
__________________

__________________
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus
 
overlander64's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,396
Images: 183
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Something isn't right here

Greetings redwoodguy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
A very instructive thread, indeed. I am still getting over the shock that I have to buy new tires and wheels for a brand new trailer, if I want to protect my family from an almost certain catastrophic blowout scenario.

The path taken here seems quite reasonable and I think will be a template for what I do in the next week or two, after I rob a few banks to pay for all this. (<--Joke).

I have a couple questions:

Q: If I convert to 16" wheels, but leave the spare at 15", is it really doable to drive on the 15" for say - 20 miles - if I had to? Anyone done this?

Q: I just looked briefly at the Dill TPMS. It seems reasonable at $229. Are there other systems at lower cost?

Thanks for the great info!
I can't give you a definitive answer to your question, but my intuition tells me, that for short distances it wouldn't be any worse than utilizing a compact spare for a short distance . . . . the compact spares in each of my cars are somewhat smaller in diameter than the street tires. While it wasn't on my Airstream, I did change to custom alloy wheels on my Cadillac Eldorado, and the performance shop that performed the install insisted that my 15" spare tire/wheel would be perfectly usable for short distances even though the diameter of the new tire/wheel combination was more than 1.5" inches taller. The only thing that leaves a question in my mind is whether the proximity of the axles to one another could poses stresses that would not be present in a long wheelbase vehicle like my Eldorado.

Since I own Vintage Airstreams, I have one question, and that is does Airstream still suggest that it is safe to remove a failed tire/wheel combination and continue at a reduced speed to a shop where the repair can be accomplished? I have been very fortunate and have never had a blow-out on either my Argosy or Airstream, but I did have a catastrophic failure on my first travel trailer . . . a 17.5 foot Nomad Light Weight Special. I did have one flat on the Overlander, but that happened parked in my home driveway shortly after arriving home following a trip through the tornado ravaged area near Greensburg, Kansas shortly after the storm had struck (I had a roofing nail in the tread of the tire). All that I know about handling flats or blow-outs on Airstreams has been learned from my Owners' Manual and this Forum . . . thus far, I have not had to put theory into practice.

I know that I will have to put the remove wheel/tire combo if I have a failure on the Airstream while on the road as the clearances within the wheel well are so close that the tire has to be deflated to insert the wheel/tire into wheel well opening. I do carry a 120-volt air pump and might be able to use it to reinflate my spare using the coachs' inverter that I had installed shortly after adding an additional panel and battery to the coach's 12-volt systems.

Kevin
__________________

__________________
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #73
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Redwood', yes it is a pain to buy new wheels and tires. Since bank robbers usually get more than a few thousand these days (inflation), you'll only have to rob one bank. But we used the Marathons for about 18,000 miles without a problem except for having to add air to them frequently—Even after replacing rubber stems with metal ones. Not everyone has blow outs or tread separation, but it is a crap shoot.

I suppose a 15" spare is better than nothing on the brake drum, but I wouldn't go very far as the other 3 wheels must be supporting just about all the weight. We drove less than a mile on 3 wheels and very slowly (wheel bearing failure).

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings redwoodguy!



I can't give you a definitive answer to your question, but my intuition tells me, that for short distances it wouldn't be any worse than utilizing a compact spare for a short distance . . . . the compact spares in each of my cars are somewhat smaller in diameter than the street tires.

Kevin
Thanks Overlander. That seems very rational and I don't mind saving a couple hundred bucks on this conversion to 16". Yesterday I broke the news to wife that we would need 5 new tires and wheels. Today I can give good news that it is only 4!
__________________
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #75
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
Thanks Overlander. That seems very rational and I don't mind saving a couple hundred bucks on this conversion to 16". Yesterday I broke the news to wife that we would need 5 new tires and wheels. Today I can give good news that it is only 4!
You should have told her you'd need 8 or 10, and then you could get 5.

What tires do you have on your tow vehicle? Can they handle the weight of a fully loaded tow vehicle with a trailer? Our truck came with crappy OEM P tires and they wore fast, so I replaced them with Michelin LTX A/T2 Load Range E tires after about a year and a half. At least I didn't have to replace the wheels.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #76
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Are there not other 15 inch tires avail. Rather than GYM? I think so. Jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Are there not other 15 inch tires avail. Rather than GYM? I think so. Jim
Is there one you are fond of?
__________________
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #78
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Are there not other 15 inch tires avail. Rather than GYM? I think so. Jim
There are Jim. I think most or all are P tires. People who prefer Michelins have to go to 16" because there is no Michelin tire in the size that are LT's. P tires support less weight than LT's of the same size and if you can find a P tire in the Airstream 15" size, it may be marginal for the weight.

The distinction between P and LT has been blurred in the past several years and that causes more confusion.

I couldn't get Michelin LTX, the tire I felt was best, in anything but 16", so we bought new wheels too. We prefer the way the newer wheels look too, but that's not why we made the decision.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #79
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks for the info, gene. Jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

What tires do you have on your tow vehicle? Can they handle the weight of a fully loaded tow vehicle with a trailer?

Gene
Gene,
My TV is a 2007 Suburban. It has P275/R55P20 tires with a max load of 2,403 pounds. This is the tire that was on the car when purchased last fall. They are in good condition and no trouble yet. I haven't heard any scary stories of blowouts and $4500 worth of damage to the vehicles. If I did, I would have changed them out.
__________________
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #81
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Can not find it but there was a very old thread about P rated tires on tow vehicles that was informative. If I can find it I will let you know, maybe someone else will remember. Jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There are Jim. I think most or all are P tires. People who prefer Michelins have to go to 16" because there is no Michelin tire in the size that are LT's. P tires support less weight than LT's of the same size and if you can find a P tire in the Airstream 15" size, it may be marginal for the weight.

The distinction between P and LT has been blurred in the past several years and that causes more confusion.

I couldn't get Michelin LTX, the tire I felt was best, in anything but 16", so we bought new wheels too. We prefer the way the newer wheels look too, but that's not why we made the decision.

Gene
In looking around, I have only found a tire from KENDA which is 15" + LT + load range E. I was unable to determine who is KENDA and where is it made. Unable to make a rational estimation of quality.
__________________
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #83
Rivet Master
 
2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,441
There are a couple of threads that mention 235/75x15 "XL" rated tires, which seem to be roughly equivalent to load range C (50 psi). However, one must research to make sure that load capacity and tire clearance is adequate for their particular Airstream. See link below for specific details, although TireRack.com is only referenced for convenience; and better prices may be available elsewhere:

Michelin*LTX M/S2
__________________
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #84
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
There are a couple of threads that mention 235/75x15 "XL" rated tires, which seem to be roughly equivalent to load range C (50 psi). However, one must research to make sure that load capacity and tire clearance is adequate for their particular Airstream. See link below for specific details, although TireRack.com is only referenced for convenience; and better prices may be available elsewhere:

Michelin*LTX M/S2
Yes, On my 6300 lb gvw 25 Safari I switched to P rated Michelin 235 R 75 15 Ltx XL tires. Despite the P rating the load rating is equivalent to C rated LT tires or over 2,100 lbs a tire. Plenty of load range for a 6,000 lb trailer (300 lbs on the hitch)
My 2 cents worth is that on a smaller double axle trailer there is little reason to switch to 16 inch wheels and D or E rated LT tires unless you think the new wheels look cool or have extra $$ burning a hole in your pocket.
It would seem those tires would be adequate on a triple axle trailer but since I have never had one I won't offer an opinion.
I have 5k miles and almost a years worth of experience with my new tires. They run great and cool. I was going 75 mph on my last hot weather trip (it was 103 or above most of the afternoon) until I checked the fuel mileage and found that the difference between 65 and 75 mph is almost a 20% increase.
I ran over a road hazard and had to change a wheel and tire. The new tires are a little bigger than the stock 225 R 75 15 STs but I changed the wheel and tire without difficulty. A $10 patch and I was back on the road.
To combat blowouts, I was running E rated Maxxis at 80 lbs. The ride improvement with 50 lb P tires is vast.
__________________

__________________
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.