Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I'm not sure there is an advantage to higher torque values; as I think others have reported distortion of brake parts, and pulled or stripped studs, from values above those specified in the Airstream owners manual. However, this is from memory of other posts on this forum; and I may be mistaken.

Per Airstream Owners Manual, torque values are:

Alloy wheels = 85 ft-lbs

Steel wheels = 95 ft-lbs

Old 06-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our 2008 owner's manual said 120 lbs. But late in the '08 model year, they switched wheel suppliers and those wheels were supposed to be torqued at 110 lbs.

You have to check with the wheel supplier.

Gene

Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #59
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jack,

Sorry to hear the problem but look at the bright side, you caught it before a blowout. Pre trip and in route tire inspections are worth the time.

One thing that I didn't see in this thread and mention or suggstion of adding TPMS while you are upgrading. You may never need it, but I feel pretty good having an internal system watching PSI and Temp. While changing tires, nothing difficult about installing the internal monitor. Just make sure they follow the mfgr instructions about the tightening process for the stem.

Running MAXXIS, Dill TPMS and same basic rig, but not carrying H2O and most likely not putting on the miles that you do.

Good luck.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #60

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Jack,

Running MAXXIS, Dill TPMS and same basic rig, but not carrying H2O and most likely not putting on the miles that you do.

Good luck.

Gary
Gary, I've been luckly and my tire failures have all been caught before the tires failed on the road. I watch them pretty closely including every rest stop, food, or gas stop when on the road.

The disappointing fact for me is I'm not on the road that often and who knows that may be a contributing factor. The trailer is stored indoors and I keep the wheels off the bare concrete with some large cardboard. I think those tires had 5,000-6,000 miles on them.

I talked with Tredit Friday and the Kansas warehouse didn't have the T03 that the EB uses. They were going to contact Elkhart on Monday and I'll get the order in the pipeline. I'm ordering the tires Monday also.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #61
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jack,

Aside from a hail storm I think tires on the heavier units is our single biggest common concern, remember I'm only 3 years into this but I have already learned more about tires and personal eperiences than I thought I would. Our FIRST outing I found 3 GYM's with tread seperation and replaced them IN CAMP on our first Airstream outing. The 4th was replaced before my purchase. Rough start.

Jack, none of us has all the answers, but if or when my next tire situation occours, I think I'll be looking at the same type package you're buying.

Assuming you have hydraulic brakes, this is a great time to closely inspect them looking for uneven pad thickness wear eg: inside more than outside or vicea versa and take a real close look at the 16 piston dust boots looking for splits, cracks, heat damage anything that compromizes the dust boot can allow water to get behind the boot and it is steel piston vs. cast iron right behind the boot = rust. It caused a serious hot brake situation for me and one day I'll write up my findings and stir the pot a bit about disc brake lag or more accurately my findings and visual proof about actuation vs. creation of pressure in the caliper, its on video. I like my brakes.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #62
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tire pressure requirements for TV and TT are different (as we learned in the "Revised" tire thread linked from a thread here to a discussion on Woodalls with two tire engineers about TT tires)

1] TV tires still pressure according to load (within range specified by the vehicle manufacturer).

2] TT tires at sidewall maximum (cold).

What Load Index is best for a TT tire is found by weighing the trailer, wheel-by-wheel with Weight Distribution applied . . and then a 12-15% reserve in load capacity is found likely ideal atop the scale value.

IOW, if I am seeing on my TT (with WD applied properly; according to formula from weight scale numbers) 1,837-lbs/tire, then I would want a tire capable of from 2050 - 2100/lbs (with respect to possible heavier future loads).

The reason for using the scale is that one tire or more may well be carrying more weight than a simple axle average calculation may consider.

And the heaviest "position" is the one to work from for capacity sake . . add the load reserve recommendation of 12-15% to that single acquired value.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #63

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Jack,

Aside from a hail storm I think tires on the heavier units is our single biggest common concern, remember I'm only 3 years into this but I have already learned more about tires and personal eperiences than I thought I would.
Jack, none of us has all the answers, but if or when my next tire situation occours, I think I'll be looking at the same type package you're buying.

Assuming you have hydraulic brakes,
Gary
Thanks for the thoughts Gary. It's funny since I was talking to Silvertwinkie just prior to the Moraine View rally about tire replacement. I had told him that at the end of this season, the Maxxis tires would be 4 years old and I was probably going to replace them prior to the first trip next year. At that point I told him I was on the fence about going to LT tires and 16" wheels. While up to that point I had no problems with the Maxxis E rated tires, I was also looking at retirement soon and more travel. The aspect of moving to LT tires would be a serious consideration.

Obviously that is all water over the dam at this point and my latest ST experience is fast forwarding my decision. You are right about none of us having the answers. The reality is that you have to consider your own personal history and get lots of feedback, which is great here at the Forum.

It only takes one failure on the road to more than justify the expense that I will undertake in changing to 16" LT's. As I told my wife, consider the problems with a tire failure on the highway. Not only is it costly but any failure that puts you on the shoulder of the road has risk to both your TV and and trailer, but to yourself also. I witnessed a camper getting killed on the I-44 when he was changing a tire on his popup. A driver not paying attention clipped his trailer on the shoulder of the road as he was in the process of changing his tire.

FYI, my trailer was built before the hydraulics were offered by Airstream.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #64

Fenton , Missouri
Wheels just got here. These are the T03 16" Sendel wheels that Tredit handles. These have the black inside areas which is what the EB units have. I ordered the wheels, end caps, lug nuts and valve stems from Tredit. I also ordered a steel wheel from them as the spare. The wheel for the spare is essentially the same wheel that comes in the 15" size that Airstream supplies on the Classics.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	161901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	161902  

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	161903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	161904  

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	161905  
AIR #56
Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Wheels just got here. These are the T03 Sendel wheels that Tredit handles. These have the black inside areas which is what the EB units have. I ordered the wheels, end caps, and lug nuts from Tredit. I also ordered a steel wheel as the spare. This is essentially the same wheel that comes in the 15" size that Airstream supplies on the Classics.

Jack
I really like those T03 wheels with the black. Now we need part numbers for the caps and lug nuts. And, of course, photos. They're going to look great!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #66

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I really like those T03 wheels with the black. Now we need part numbers for the caps and lug nuts. And, of course, photos. They're going to look great!
OK here is the receipt with the price and the order information. I got these wheels from the Elkhart Indiana locale. I tried Kansas but they only had the all silver versions. The only thing missing from the order sheet is the valve stems. They were an after thought and I ordered them today. Here is the info on the stems.

"The valve stem that we use is a 24-120. This is a high pressure snap in stem that will hold up to 100 PSI. Most tire shops should have this stem available as they are used most regularly in the industry.
If you have a hard time locating stems we have them available and they are $1.40 each.
Please let me know if you would like to get these on order.
Have a great day!
Jennifer
Tredit Tire and Wheel"

Jennifer is at the Elkhart site. She handled all the part numbers and everything sent is correct and matched for the wheels.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	161910  
AIR #56
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #67

Fenton , Missouri
I'm going to order the tires tonight. I've got till the 7th to get the tires ordered in order to qualify for the Michelin $75 rebate.

Once we get the tires mounted to the new wheels, I'll pull the 15" wheels and tires off. It will be interesting to get a side by side comparison of the ST's on the rear axle and the bad ones on the front. I post the pictures so we can see how deformed the bad tires are.

I'll probably end up putting the 15" wheels for sale on Craig's list to see if I can sell them locally without having to ship them.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks for the info. Great price too.

Now I just need to come up with enough spare (yeah, right) cash for half a dozen of those.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #69

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Thanks for the info. Great price too.

Now I just need to come up with enough spare (yeah, right) cash for half a dozen of those.
They key to this was I was going to have to buy tires any way. At least two right away due to the unexpected failure, and then the plan was to replace the other two next spring which was going to happen for sure. When I looked at the cost of 4 new ST E rated Maxxis tires (they have gone up considerably in the last 3 years), the cost of the LT Michelins along with rebate, makes the tire purchase almost a wash. So the only additional cost was the wheels themselves. Hopefully we can get some money from selling the 15" Alcoa wheels and spare. So the net cost goes down even more.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #70

Fenton , Missouri
Got the tires delivered yesterday. Any fear of Discount Tire Direct not selling fresh tires was put to side when I checked the manufactured date stamp on the side walls. These tires were manufactured in week 24 of this year.

Jack

AIR #56