Old 06-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jack, there's a Discount Tire in Springfield, Ill. I've found DT consistently has the lowest prices and sometimes I can get them lower than the first quote. It might be worth the trip and you can go see some Lincoln history. And there is a really cool Frank Lloyd Wright house in Springfield: Welcome to the Dana-Thomas House .

Gene

Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #44

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Jack, there's a Discount Tire in Springfield, Ill. I've found DT consistently has the lowest prices and sometimes I can get them lower than the first quote. It might be worth the trip and you can go see some Lincoln history. And there is a really cool Frank Lloyd Wright house in Springfield: Welcome to the Dana-Thomas House .

Gene
I'm going to have to deal with getting the tires here since I don't want to risk the trailer going out with two bad tires. Discount Tire Direct will ship for free and so far has the lowest total price which includes shipping. They have provided me the name of a local company who will mount and balance the tires on the wheels. Looks like the tires are going for $202 each with free shipping. The Michelin summer discount is another $75 off of the total price of 4 tires. So at this point it's just a matter of getting the price of the wheels and shipping, and then we can figure out whether it is worth going with Airstream or not. Note that I checked with Michelin and buying the tires from Airstream directly will not qualify you for the $75 rebate.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #45

Fenton , Missouri
Well it is starting to come together. Tredit will sell me the 4 T03 wheels for $100 each plus $45 shipping. My only decision is whether to go with the exact duplicate of the EB wheel which has a black finish on parts of the wheel compared to an all silver version.

Tires will be Discount Tire Direct at $202 each or Costco locally for $200. My decision is if Costco has newer built tires. I'm not sure of the age of what Tire Direct sends. If the tires at Costco are less than 6 months old, I might go with them even though I will spend another $75 in sales tax.

The spare is up in the air right now. My current spare on the Classic as supplied by Airstream is a silver painted wheel. In my towing experience, 40 years, I've used a spare twice and in both cases the replacement was done temporarily in my driveway, not on the road. My thinking is if I had a failure on the road, I could put the 15" wheel on. While the situation is not perfect, my objective would be to replace the bad 16" tire ASAP. I'd baby the trailer on speed and quite honestly I think that would work. Worse case since I can't rotate tires with the funky wheel that Airstream supplied, I could buy a steel 16" wheel, much like I have today and maybe put it on an LT E rated tire that is not as pricy as my Michelin's that I'm buying. Based on my experience it probably may only touch the ground once in its life, and I've not wasted $300 on a wheel and tire that will see limited or no future use.

It looks like the total cost for 4 wheels and tires will be about $400 or so cheaper that going with a tire wheel package from Airstream. Note that the current $75 rebate from Michelin is not available if you buy the tires or tire/wheel combo from Airstream.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I bought 5 Tredit wheels and 5 Michelins and rotate regularly with the spare. So I get more years out of the tires. But, you have to travel a lot to make sense doing that and not have to replace old tires at 5 years (or whenever you think is right) with lots of tread on them.

Otherwise a cheap steel wheel and a cheap tire would be good. I wouldn't mix 15" and 16" wheels and tires. You don't know how far you will have to travel to get a flat fixed. I expect the 16" wheel will carry most of the weight.

I also carry a tire repair kit and compressor to repair tires on the road. It was handy when I got a flat (I picked up half a chain link) 100 miles from a shop in Alaska. The flat was on the Tundra, but I didn't want to tow with the slightly smaller wheel and tire Toyota provided as a spare.

Discount does high volume business, so you will probably get new tires from them.

I know it is a lot of money, but you can go further and longer with Michelins and in the end, save money and tire anxiety.

Gene
Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #47

Fenton , Missouri
Does anyone know the size of the lug nuts that are used? I'm being asked by Tredit if they are 1/2 or 3/4". Some wheel sites have noted that you should try to match the lug nuts with the wheel. Supposedly it makes a difference.

I'm assuming I could use my current lug nuts that come with the Alcoa wheels but since they have been on the trailer for 8+ years, I assume that the shape they have taken over time meshes with those wheels.

Gene, thanks for the input.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
jack, if you don't get an answer i think this came up somewhere in this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...res-69297.html

if i recall, you need new nut to match the new wheel taper. get solid nuts is you get them.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #49

Fenton , Missouri
I called Airstream and their specs for my Classic are 1/2"x20. Probably 20 has something to do with the length of the stud or bolt. I'm asking Tredit to supply the bolts.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I called Airstream and their specs for my Classic are 1/2"x20. Probably 20 has something to do with the length of the stud or bolt. I'm asking Tredit to supply the bolts.

Jack
Hi Jack,

20 is the number of threads per inch. See How to Read a Screw Thread Callout: 5 steps (with pictures) for more.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #51
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Jack
There is also a difference in hex size. 3/4" hex has a lower torque than a 13/16" hex. If the 13/16" lug nut will fit the wheel, I'd probably go with it.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The wheel size, for a spare tire, is not as important as the overall diameter of the tire. Check the specs of the 15" tires you have and the 16" tires you will be getting. I think they will be very close in overall diameter. For spare use, I would not worry about half an inch difference.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #53

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There is also a difference in hex size. 3/4" hex has a lower torque than a 13/16" hex. If the 13/16" lug nut will fit the wheel, I'd probably go with it.
OK, now I'm somewhat confused. Where does 13/16" fit into the picture when the wheel manufacturer asks if I need 1/2 or 3/4" lugs and Airstream says the spec for my trailer is 1/2"? This is something that I've never had to deal with before.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Something isn't right here

Greetings Jack!

Quote:
OK, now I'm somewhat confused. Where does 13/16" fit into the picture when the wheel manufacturer asks if I need 1/2 or 3/4" lugs and Airstream says the spec for my trailer is 1/2"? This is something that I've never had to deal with before.

Jack
You are in the same spot that I was in when I ordered new alloy wheels for my '64 Overlander in 2009. I followed the same process that you did and called Airstream for the specifications for the lugs on my trailer - - 1/2" x 20 -- that according to my wheel supplier meant that the lugs were half-inch with 20 threads per inch. My wheel supplier sent lugs that were matched to my new alloys, and all has been well -- the new lugs required a 1/2" torque wrench, and the manufacturer's specifications called for 100 ft./lbs. torque on the lug nuts. I don't know whether Airstream's directions would be different as my Vintage coach dates to the days of split-rims before the idea of using alloys on an Airstream had been considered. I am in my fourth season with the new rims/tires, and all has been well. At the time of purchase, my wheel supplier indicated that there were multiple "styles or types" of chrome/stainless lug nuts and the base profile requirement was dictated by the wheel selected so I went with the lug nuts specified for the wheels that I ordered.

The only difference with my project is that I went with 15" wheels and tires as the 15" modern radials are a tight fit with my Vintage coach that requires that the tires be deflated prior to installation then re-inflated.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #55

Fenton , Missouri
The key for me was wanting the correct lugs that engage the wheels properly. Your final side of it clarifies it all for me. That's why I asked the wheel manufacturer to supply those lugs. I would think they understand the importance....we hope. Others on the forum have ordered from Tredit. Obviously if something goes south I can send the lugs back and work with my dealership for the lug nuts to match the EB edition wheels. I am ordering the same exact wheels.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #56
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Jack, both the 13/16" and 3/4" lug nuts are 1/2"x20 threads. The only difference is the final torque specification. 13/16" can be torqued higher. This would be better if the wheels have a large enough hole to accommodate the larger heads of the lug nuts.
I made the earlier post on a tablet, and had some problems typing with it. It wasn't really clear, though...