Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
It is a 2005 Doran product. It always went off as the tire started to separate. We were in the In-N-Out for dinner, and as we returned to the truck, the Doran was going off. That was the incident when we replaced all 4 tires. So it worked, as specified at the time of purchase.

We are replacing that with a version that reads both pressure and temp.

Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Separation produces heat and heat produces a increased pressure, one of the first laws of physics.
i've seen tires like jack c. posted that expanded pre-explosion. would the pressure go down as the tire expanded or does the heat increase the pressure more than the tire expands?

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #129
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Could you guys send me a PM when the TPMS mini thread is over, so I can repost my question about 16 inch tires.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dumb Broad Question ALERT

Enough sideways scraping apparently will separate tread and the cheapass towing tires are more susceptible than others.

So here are three offensive questions that aren't meant to BE offensive, but...

How is your driving?

My dear departed mother lived 1 mile from her church and drove two miles to get there every Sunday because she could move sideways three lanes on a two lane road. PRAYING was something we did more of on the way there and back than we ever did IN the sanctuary. Mom would be concentrating on our deportment... not the road or traffic... so there were frequent jerks back off the curb and away from the tree compensated by panic swerves to get out of way of oncoming traffic. (I'm libeling the woman a bit for effect... but the if we'd been Israeli's she'd have been called the wandering Jew!).

Are you anal about getting the trailer backed into a space perfectly every time? Side scrape, side scrape, side scrape....

Are life's little dips getting your tires down? We've all heard about tail dragging caused by a steep driveway, etc. Part of tail dragging can be that for a short distance a three axle trailer is riding on one or two axles. What logically could happen to the pressure on a tire/axle when one is doing the job of three - even if it's only for 5 feet?

Now for the sincere helpful suggestion. Could you get a camera or even multiple cameras and record what is really happening when the rubber hit's the road? record what your backup camera sees.. Could your Airstream be fishtailing slightly? Could you be causing the fishtailing? Do you regularly travel with water tanks half full and have hundreds of pounds of water sloshing around in the tanks? If so your Airstream could be rocking sideways looking like Rockie sparring before a fight!

You may have a nervous tic - I was a passenger in a friend's car recently and every time she slowed down she started rocking the steering wheel slightly from side to side (like oops no brakes ... this is how I used to slow my bike down!). I asked her about it... she had no clue that she was doing it, or why she was doing it. Noticed later that her daughter does the same thing! That night I found myself doing it! Stopped it promptly and occasionally still self check. She's also constantly ON either the brake or the gas... no concept of "maintaining a steady speed".

So... consider switching DRIVERS and see if the problem changes significantly. If it does, take a truck driving course and always wear a condom while driving!

I apologize again for this post... it sounds bitchy even to me... but the driver always IS part of the equation. The dirty truth is that my sister is a better driver than I am in many respects. She can carry on a conversation and drive. In many things I can multi-task, but when I'm driving I can't do it safely unless I consciously stay focused on DRIVING and nothing else. (And yes, in this respect I do have a tendency to resemble my mother ack-gag-phlegm...hawked up a hairball to admit that! My only virtue is that I GET that I have a problem with distracted driving.)

Paula
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #131

LTX vs XPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I have decided to do the 16" conversion. My only decision left to be made is which tires. I would like to hear some pro's and con's of the XPS ribs vs the LTX. At this point, I like the XPS and am aware they are more expensive. I just want to be sure that I'm not paying the extra for no added benefit. If this has all been hashed over before, an link to that would be sufficient.
Thanks,

Ken
It is always easy to find opinions on these forums, But now that I want one, I can't find one anywhere. Anyone care to take a stab at this? It doesn't matter if you don't know anything about it. I am really just trying dodge the responsibility of making the decision myself. If my wife thinks I've screwed up, I need someone to blame it on. I'm sure you can understand that.
Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just my opinion:

POOR = All ST tires, regardless of size. OEM Goodyear Marathons NOT recommended. 225/75x15 "E", Maxxis ST tires may be OK. However, one of the two I purchased failed within 5,000 miles, due to tread separation; and I won't buy again.

GOOD = 235/75x15 "XL", Michelin LTX M/S2 preferred, if they will fit your Airstream.

BETTER = 225/75x16 "E", Michelin LTX M/S preferred.

BEST = 225/75x16 "E", Michelin XPS Rib or BFGoodrich Commercial T/A preferred. Both are all-steel construction, including sidewalls; and reviews indicate that these will take a lot of abuse. Note: These are the most expensive tires I have ever purchased and may be overkill for Airstream applications. However, they are the most likely to survive until they age out in 5-6 years, with no blowouts or tread separation. Also, a very long wearing tire.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #133
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
I am going with the XPS Rib once I get the other work done. Have these on the truck tow vehicle, and they are great tires.

Will likely purchase the tire and rubs through Discount Tire because of the warranty and store availability in our area.
Hensley/Prodigy
Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #134

LTX vs XPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
As long as you brought it up, I have decided to do the 16" conversion. My only decision left to be made is which tires. I would like to hear some pro's and con's of the XPS ribs vs the LTX. At this point, I like the XPS and am aware they are more expensive. I just want to be sure that I'm not paying the extra for no added benefit. If this has all been hashed over before, an link to that would be sufficient.
Thanks,

Ken
I decided to get the LTX based on the tread pattern. Since we live near the mountains and occasionally get caught in the snow, the tread pattern looked better to me. The cost was also a factor.

Ken
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
W7tx makes a good point. The XPS Ribs are summer highway tires, and likely are very poor on snow and ice. However, they work well in the desert heat and in the rain; and we do not intentionally plan roadtrips where we know there will be hazardous winter driving conditions. Also, I think there is an "XPS Rib Traction" tire that is designed for winter use, but it is not available in sizes that would fit an Airstream.

Note: In metropolitan Phoenix in the past few days, it has been 116-118 F during the day, 100+ at midnight, with overnight lows in the mid-90's. The other day, when I got something out of our Bambi (parked next to our house), the temperature was 144 degrees inside.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #136

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We are in the midst of our first long trip since we changed out wheels and went with the 16" LTX MS tires. Nothing to report other than at first observation, the tires seem to be running cooler than my STs did. I'm running between 55 and 60. In my situation it seemed like year 3 was the failure point on both sets of tires. As it ended up me net cost for the wheels after selling the 15's were $50 each. Tires were about $15 each more than replacing them with more E rated ST tires. I'm running at 77 psi.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
We are in the midst of our first long trip since we changed out wheels and went with the 16" LTX MS tires. Nothing to report other than at first observation, the tires seem to be running cooler than my STs did. I'm running between 55 and 60. In my situation it seemed like year 3 was the failure point on both sets of tires. As it ended up me net cost for the wheels after selling the 15's were $50 each. Tires were about $15 each more than replacing them with more E rated ST tires. I'm running at 77 psi.

Jack
I just ordered mine today. Just in the nick of time I guess. We took delivery of our trailer 3 years and 3 days ago.

I wonder if the wheels that I am taking off are different because it is a Classic.

Ken
Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
See photos of "old wheels" on this link to see the OEM wheels that came on our 2005, 19-foot Bambi:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...tml#post944334
Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Jack, that's great news. Want to hear more on your travel success.
Hensley/Prodigy
Old 08-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
See photos of "old wheels" on this link to see the OEM wheels that came on our 2005, 19-foot Bambi:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...tml#post944334
Well mine definitely look different. They have 5 spokes instead of six and don't have the raised platform where the lugs nuts are. I guess when I sell them, I will have to ask 5/6 of the going rate.

Ken