Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Barry what is the max temp reading we should get on a bias ply or radial tire before things start coming apart? If the tire is of substandard quality will controlling temperatures and keeping pressure at the right levels matter?

Purely empirical data from this sight and others is telling folks to stay away from ST tires radial or bias ply.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #182

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Hi!

I'm Barry of Barry's Tire Tech. I dropped in because of Jack's conversation with me and wanted to see what was going on - see if I addressed all the concerns. Apparently I didn't.

First, the statement I made was a generalization. Yes, Goodyear makes ST tires, but they are the only one of the top tier tire manufacturers that does. (I am hoping we don't get into a discussion about what "top tier" means.)

Interestingly, Goodyear has made these tires in China, which kind of brings into question whether or not they are using "top tier" materials, design, and machinery. Since I don't work for them, I can't say for sure. My guess is they are not - and that may explain their performance (at least partially).

Any other issues?
Thanks Barry. I appreciate you coming over to the forum. Lots of tire questions here.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #183
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I checked out Barry's web site and bookmarked it.

I was pleased to find this quote right off the bat.

"There aren't any real advantages to using nitrogen in a street tire."

For me that established credibility.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

Ken
Agreed!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
1032 miles on new tires and axles. All good. Tires ran extremely well for 750 miles in one day, 68-70 mph, 14 hrs of I10 driving in SW. See my other thread for details.

Jack your story prompted us to do the upgrades. All going well so far.
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

Ken
X3, Only where a 1/4 psi difference in a hot tire means being first...or the first loser....NASCAR.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #187
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Barry what is the max temp reading we should get on a bias ply or radial tire before things start coming apart? If the tire is of substandard quality will controlling temperatures and keeping pressure at the right levels matter?

Purely empirical data from this sight and others is telling folks to stay away from ST tires radial or bias ply.

Perry
This is mostly a time vs temperature thing - Arrhenius's Rule: A reaction rate doubles for every 10°C. So the material properties degrade over time and the higher the temperature, the faster the degradation.

The industry uses a rule of thumb that the inflation pressure increase should be no more than 10%, and with 15% increase some action needs to take place - typically more pressure.

Controlling temperatures? Anything that reduces the stress is a step in the right direction. In tires, that would reduce the temperature build up and the pressure buildup. Is that a way to guarrantee no failures? No! But it will reduce the rate and extend the time before failure.

Oh, and I hope you won't mind my quibbling, but "empircal" means experimentation or observation. I think you mean "anecdotal".

And don't get me wrong, it is clear there are issues with ST tires, the question is what is the cause.

Quote:

Ken
Thanks. I hope you noticed I like getting down to empirical data, and not anecdotal evidence. In the case of nitrogen, the benfits seem to disappear in the lab.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #188
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for the decision to contribute to this forum, Barry, as Airstream owners made the decision to buy the potentially highest road performance trailer type. Tires to take a travel trailer to the local lake or state park may be one thing, but to run the the roads continent-wide is quite another thing altogether (to make a general distinction in travel trailer types); this is central to the appeal of this type of trailer (there were others in the recent past no longer in production). This trailer type is also most likely to appeal to those who view the purchase as being a lifetime acquistion as the design & build quality is close to that standard. Thus, tires are as of as high a concern as elsewhere, but with some added emphasis.

For your own pleasure, I recommend the threads which discuss the International Caravans of the 1950's and '60's where founder Wally Byam led intrepid Airstream owners on trips across Europe and Africa (as well as other places).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
7343 miles with new tires, wheels, and axles since 9/1/2012. All running well, and tires still look new. Running pressures about 4-7 lbs. above cold pressure, and temps remain 3-5 degrees above ambient. Interstate running speed typical 70-74 mph.
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #190
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There are Jim. I think most or all are P tires. People who prefer Michelins have to go to 16" because there is no Michelin tire in the size that are LT's. P tires support less weight than LT's of the same size and if you can find a P tire in the Airstream 15" size, it may be marginal for the weight.

The distinction between P and LT has been blurred in the past several years and that causes more confusion.

I couldn't get Michelin LTX, the tire I felt was best, in anything but 16", so we bought new wheels too. We prefer the way the newer wheels look too, but that's not why we made the decision.

Gene
I just purchased these tires for my 5000# '72 Excella 500. Max. Load at 50 psi 2183http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M%2FS2
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Here is a picture of the new (today) Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16E's .
The wheels are Sendel T-03 BM (Black wheels with machined face).

I don't think you can see them, but I also ahd Centramatics put on at the same time

Ken
I have the same setup, the tires are doing very good, I been running 72 lbs air with my 13 31' classic, 7800 lbs on both axles..14,000 miles...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I tend to put more air, above the recommended PSI, especially in front tires due to thats where all the weight is.. think about it the engine, which is heavy in most vehicles is in front plus with 4x4 you have front axle as well.. if the rear says 34 rear I would run 34 in front as well..

Notice the outside of tires and you see they get more wear at the lower pressure.

Same with airstream and 16" LT tires max is 80 but I run 68 PSI on 30 ft classic and they run and look perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

My Sequoia tires are stamped 65psi max. Toyota recommends 30psi in the front and 34psi in the back... It weighs 2000lbs more than my trailer...

Anyway... my Marathons have around 10,000km on them running 40psi... they gain 2-4psi hot. I'm good with that, but if you get more security from another spec, then do it... my trailer is also very light for a tandem axle... which is one of the reasons I really like the 22'
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote