Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #85
Rivet Master
 
Boxite's Avatar

 
2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 527
I live in an old hunting lodge with 70-year-old toilets which use far more than 1.6 l of well-water to flush, and my truck is a flex-fuel engine but I can get non-ethanol gas out here in the country, so I can run go-cart tires on my travel-trailer with impunity, thanks to the edumacation I've just rec'd here.
What seems like long-discussions ad nauseum on this subject are likely a very small sampling of whiners compared to the millions of trailer-owners who quite successfully and without trouble running the OEM ST tires on their trailers.
(There are legitimate reasons ST tires are used on trailers and I let the industry engineers have the credit for why I use them.)
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4.7L 4X4
Rambox
WBCCI 14676 TX ALAMO UNIT
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 171
I would appreciate hearing any comments from people who have switched to Maxxis M8008
ST Radial. Over the past 10 years, I have run GYM on 2 different AS (25 & 27), putting on around 100,000 miles (3 sets of tires in that time). I always check PSI before traveling. I have had no problems until yesterday on I-93 - 65mph - blow-out and total shredding. Tough to believe this can happen with GYM that's only 3 years old. Comments???
__________________

__________________
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 309
You have been remarkably lucky.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
2015 30' FC Bunk, Dual A/C, Full Awning, RV550, Sleep Number, ProPride, Nokian Rotiiva AT 15" Tires

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #88
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 769
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
I would appreciate hearing any comments from people who have switched to Maxxis M8008
ST Radial. Over the past 10 years, I have run GYM on 2 different AS (25 & 27), putting on around 100,000 miles (3 sets of tires in that time). I always check PSI before traveling. I have had no problems until yesterday on I-93 - 65mph - blow-out and total shredding. Tough to believe this can happen with GYM that's only 3 years old. Comments???
I understand the current GYMs are made in China and that some people attribute that to recent failures.

I also wonder if the drivers who tow the larger Airstreams from Ohio are traveling faster than 65mph. 65mph for sustained periods is apparently bad for the GYMs.
https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #89
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,035
VT Wanderer, would you mind checking the DOT date of manufacture as stamped on your blown tire per this page?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...160811155954:s

It would be nice to know the exact week/year of mfg.. We have a 2014 FC20, and our GYM date of mfg. was actually mid-2013, which is over 3 years old at this point. At this age, a tire is said to have lost 30% of its strength.

There have been other GYM failures recently, as linked at the bottom.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Other GYM failures recently:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html [Post #1225]
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ut-155074.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...es-155076.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
I would appreciate hearing any comments from people who have switched to Maxxis M8008
ST Radial. Over the past 10 years, I have run GYM on 2 different AS (25 & 27), putting on around 100,000 miles (3 sets of tires in that time). I always check PSI before traveling. I have had no problems until yesterday on I-93 - 65mph - blow-out and total shredding. Tough to believe this can happen with GYM that's only 3 years old. Comments???
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #90
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,035
PS -- missed the edit time window -- here is another recent thread on GYM failures:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...es-145883.html
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member
 
Barbieri's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 79
I am amazed at the amount of posting that goes on concerning tires for a trailer. An LT tire is not construct the same as a tire constructed for a trailer. The side walls flex differently and if memory serves me correctly the load bearing of the tire is different. I believe that the problem with trailer tires especially GY Marathon is the max 65 mph that it can run at and no more. Most drivers exceed that max speed rating or overload the trailer and the result is a blowout. Please don't take my word for it. Do your own research and don't waste your money. Just learn to drive under 65. It's that simple plus you will get better gas mileage.
__________________
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:47 AM   #92
Rivet Master

 
Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I'm surprised by the wear on the Transforce AT tires. I put a set on my truck (2009 Dodge CTD) last year which have about 8k miles on them presently and they still look brand new. I drive on pavement, gravel and off road.
Just replaced mine at 40000 miles. They were worn out and dangerous.and almost six years old. Pretty well satisfied but replaced with Michelin defenders per my wife. I rotate religiously.
__________________
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #93
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar

 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieri View Post
I am amazed at the amount of posting that goes on concerning tires for a trailer. An LT tire is not construct the same as a tire constructed for a trailer. The side walls flex differently and if memory serves me correctly the load bearing of the tire is different. I believe that the problem with trailer tires especially GY Marathon is the max 65 mph that it can run at and no more. Most drivers exceed that max speed rating or overload the trailer and the result is a blowout. Please don't take my word for it. Do your own research and don't waste your money. Just learn to drive under 65. It's that simple plus you will get better gas mileage.

Right on Barbieri. I believe in good quality ST tires, but many have spent the money to go LT and are very happy. You can, as long as the manufacturer has posted the data, run St tires to 75 mph by adding 10 psi above what is required for your trailer's weight. Look up Goodyear, Carlisle and Maxxis , as three examples.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member
 
Barbieri's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 79
I looked and could not find the data you referenced. Why would they put on the sidewall one set of data and another data set on the internet. I run Carlisle tires and they can handle a heavier load per tire that any Michelin can. None of the LT Michelin tires can match the Carlisle RH tires.
__________________
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #95
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 769
Images: 7
So guys......I've been on these forums since 2004 and have slogged through the ST vs. LT discussions for the past twelve years. I've run Michelin LTs on four Airstreams since then. Airstream offered them as options on my last two trailers and on my first Airstream, a 2004 Interstate. If they are good enough for the Airstream corporation, they are good enough for me. End of discussion....as far as I am concerned.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #96
Rivet Master
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
So guys......I've been on these forums since 2004 and have slogged through the ST vs. LT discussions for the past twelve years. I've run Michelin LTs on four Airstreams since then. Airstream offered them as options on my last two trailers and on my first Airstream, a 2004 Interstate. If they are good enough for the Airstream corporation, they are good enough for me. End of discussion....as far as I am concerned.
I for one agree 100 per cent with you, besides I like your power unit.
__________________
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member
 
2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Right on Barbieri. I believe in good quality ST tires, but many have spent the money to go LT and are very happy. You can, as long as the manufacturer has posted the data, run St tires to 75 mph by adding 10 psi above what is required for your trailer's weight. Look up Goodyear, Carlisle and Maxxis , as three examples.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Overwhelming evidence proves you wrong.
However if you prefer ST Tires don't let that stop you.
__________________
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #98
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar

 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieri View Post
I looked and could not find the data you referenced. Why would they put on the sidewall one set of data and another data set on the internet. I run Carlisle tires and they can handle a heavier load per tire that any Michelin can. None of the LT Michelin tires can match the Carlisle RH tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

Here you go--for a couple tires. Maxxis lists their 8008s the same. I've talked to Maxxis and they say if you can add 20 psi safely, you can go 85. Have not found that one in writing. Their ST 225/15 E is a "Q" speed rated 99 mph tire (tested speed)
__________________

__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
16" Sendel Wheels & 16" Michelin LTX Tires Ray Eklund Tires 346 11-17-2016 11:58 AM
Michelin LTX M/S versus Michelin LTX M/S 2 - Which Would You Choose? doutterson Tires 40 10-23-2016 10:08 PM
New wheels and tires upgrade to 16" & Michelin Tin Diesel Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 9 04-23-2008 11:48 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.