Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
So far I really like them. Discount tire in stock 3 days from distribution center.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Here is a link to post with pictures other comments.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...15-156339.html

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Another 15 - inch tire that could be considered is the General Grabber HTS for some of us cost conscious folks. Tire buyer.com had them for $93 each.
It has nearly identical specifications as the Michelin tire. It is XL rated, 109t service at 2271 lbs. Derated it would be 2064 lbs.
http://generaltire.com/tires/light-t...uv/grabber-hts
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Help- Michelin Defender model?

Tried to find the LTX M/S2 Michelins here in Helena. Both Costco and local Eagle Tire told me they are replaced by Defender model now; supposedly same tire. Any input is appreciated. I can get tomorrow for $140/ea, mounted. We plan to head back to TX next week sometime so want to get the GYMs replaced, since they are now down to minimum tread lines...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Tried to find the LTX M/S2 Michelins here in Helena. Both Costco and local Eagle Tire told me they are replaced by Defender model now; supposedly same tire. Any input is appreciated. I can get tomorrow for $140/ea, mounted. We plan to head back to TX next week sometime so want to get the GYMs replaced, since they are now down to minimum tread lines...
Within the new Defender Line you will find the
LTX/R75/15 / 108 / T tire. Michelin has it for sale at $ 145.00 per. It is a 70,000 mile tire.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
LTX/R75/15 / 108 / T tire. Michelin has it for sale at $ 145.00 per. It is a 70,000 mile tire.
Thanks. Do you know what the maximum recommended load is for this LT tire? On one source I see 2208 lbs.:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

. . . which should be de-rated 10% for use on a trailer, or about 1987 pounds per tire, according to many threads here on the forum.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Following
ChuckZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
I have ordered these tires $650 installed from discount tires includes steel stems, balanced and mounted. Credit for gym tires have not yet been given. Hopefully $100. These tires meet everything without having to buy new rims.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-seas...an-rotiiva-at/
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Installed these tires, but they are just barely rubbing against the shock in my '59 Overlander.

I use a Monroe 555003 shock, which is 2" in diameter. Has anyone found a smaller diameter equivalent shock?
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks. Do you know what the maximum recommended load is for this LT tire? On one source I see 2208 lbs.:

. . . which should be de-rated 10% for use on a trailer, or about 1987 pounds per tire, according to many threads here on the forum.

Thanks,

Peter

Hey Peter - just to be clear - these are NOT LT tires. They are P tires with "extra load" but absolutely 100% P rated tires shiv is the only reason you would derate them when used on a trailer. If they're 2208# as a P tire, you can count on 2007# when used on a trailer. 4 of them takes you over 8000# so see what you've got on the scales and make the call. I use the prior version which derated gives me 1985# or 7940# for the 4 on my 27FB with a 7600 GVWR - just 6000# loaded for camping on the scales - so I'm comfortable with that.

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
I have a 2016 27' FC I put the P235/75R15 Michelin XL on mine and works well.
I also put tire monitors on to for that fuzzy feeling going down the road and watching my air pressure. I'm still below the gross even after derating the tire for trailer use. I feel the trailer actually tows a bit better with the Michelins on it to. Michelins have the lowest rolling resistance in the market. Possibly better fuel economy? I've always relied on Michelins after being in the tire business for 40 yrs.

Regards Mike Comeaux
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:10 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post

Goodyears have failures. Michelins have failures. All tires have the potential to fail. So regardless of which tire I pick, I will monitor tire pressure, not exceed max weight ratings, and avoid driving over things that could make them go boom. But I appreciate you having a different opinion and wanting to use light truck tires on a trailer. It's your trailer, so you are free to use whichever tire you are most comfortable with.
Fact is LT tires have normal failures and ST tires have abnormal failures.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #73
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Fact is LT tires have normal failures and ST tires have abnormal failures.
As someone whose job it used to be to follow tire failure rates, I am noticing a lack of recent reports.

Am I wrong? Have there been continued reports that I missed? Has the rate gone down?

Should I start a new thread where I ask about recent failures? (As in this year - 2016)
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Thanks,

Peter
And will that arbitrary derating actually reduce the load capacity of that tire ?
The same exact tire is put out by Michelin in the Defender line and they dropped the "P". This silly argument has been beaten to death and yet there it is again.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Just purchased Michelin Defender LTX M/S 235-75R-15 109T with 70K mileage warranty. Dealer included a Michelin $70 mail in rebate so total cost per tire is $122.50/ea installed. Great price including installation. Drove home in rain 55 miles yesterday, and felt pretty solid. Will see how they preform over coming trip to TX and beyond! LoL
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
And will that arbitrary derating actually reduce the load capacity of that tire ?

The same exact tire is put out by Michelin in the Defender line and they dropped the "P". This silly argument has been beaten to death and yet there it is again.

Frank - I'm going to try a different approach and if that doesn't work, I'm done trying. And for the record, whether you honestly can't grasp this concept, or being stubborn for sport or really just can't help yourself, I'm really not replying here for you. I'm replying here to try to counterbalance your misinformation for the benefit of others who may be confused by it.

The code about derating is not arbitrary. You can choose to follow it or not as you please, but it is not arbitrary. Several tire engineers have explained several times how that derating requirement came to be. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's arbitrary. People who've studied this as their career/profession (which you've admitted you have not done) know better than you and I do how forces work on a trailer which is different than in a passenger car for which these tires were designed. That's why you SHOULD derate their capacity. Again - choose to or not as you wish, but at least do so from an informed perspective - which to this point you have not demonstrated.

As for "dropping the 'P'" - again, you've had this explained to you by tire engineers (which I am not) and by Michelin itself in response to my email query on this issue. The tire you are taking about - in the 15" size - whether LTX/M/S2 or Defender is unequivocally a P rated tire. It is not in any way shape or form an LT rated tire. The only silly thing about this argument is your refusal to acknowledge the facts here.

Your argument would be much easier to swallow if you could at least acknowledge you understand what you're talking about and have chosen to intentionally ignore the derating requirement on these P tires on your trailer for X, Y, Z reason.

I really do wish you and everyone happy, safe travels.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the feedback on the P/LT etc. issues raised over the last few days. Sorry not to make this clear, but what I was really getting at is that the Michelin LTX tire in question [See franklyfranks' Post #65] rated at 2208 lbs. capacity, was way below the 2500 lbs per tire we need for our single-axle FC20, even without considering a safety margin or any de-rating.

There aren't many 15" tires available for our needs IMO, but this Nokian 15" Rotiiva AT All-Season tire would fit the bill:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...15-156339.html

with a load capacity of 2760 lbs each.

Have a good weekend.

Peter

Quote:
FYI search results for Nokian 15" mentions here on the forum:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...%22&gsc.page=1
Old 09-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
There's also a Pirelli Scorpion LT 15" but they're hard to find and have lower capacity than the Nokians you mentioned. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks SSM. I have had Pirelli M&S on other vehicles and they were very good.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Frank - I'm going to try a different approach and if that doesn't work, I'm done trying. And for the record, whether you honestly can't grasp this concept, or being stubborn for sport or really just can't help yourself, I'm really not replying here for you. I'm replying here to try to counterbalance your misinformation for the benefit of others who may be confused by it.

The code about derating is not arbitrary. You can choose to follow it or not as you please, but it is not arbitrary. Several tire engineers have explained several times how that derating requirement came to be. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's arbitrary. People who've studied this as their career/profession (which you've admitted you have not done) know better than you and I do how forces work on a trailer which is different than in a passenger car for which these tires were designed. That's why you SHOULD derate their capacity. Again - choose to or not as you wish, but at least do so from an informed perspective - which to this point you have not demonstrated.

As for "dropping the 'P'" - again, you've had this explained to you by tire engineers (which I am not) and by Michelin itself in response to my email query on this issue. The tire you are taking about - in the 15" size - whether LTX/M/S2 or Defender is unequivocally a P rated tire. It is not in any way shape or form an LT rated tire. The only silly thing about this argument is your refusal to acknowledge the facts here.

Your argument would be much easier to swallow if you could at least acknowledge you understand what you're talking about and have chosen to intentionally ignore the derating requirement on these P tires on your trailer for X, Y, Z reason.

I really do wish you and everyone happy, safe travels.
My practical experience with ST tires and non ST tires prove all of them wrong. My experience comes from managing tires in my own business for 25 semi tractors and trailers for over 30 years.
As to engineers and government regulations just open your eyes and look around. Ethanol is mandated and yet it is harmful to engines. The industry went into all kinds gyrations to cope with that " Well Engineered" fiasco.
The same goes for all the needles and counterproductive antipollution gizmos mandated on trucks.
Engineers and government mandates gave us the 1.6 toilet flush. So now instead of getting a one time useful 2 gal flush we flush twice and use 3.2 gallons.
If Michelin stamps 2,100 lbs load capacity on a tire at 50 psi you can safely load that tire to that capacity. Next time you are around a heavy construction site just observe the abuse these LT tires on service trucks are subjected to. Overloaded, driving over curbs, busted up concrete etc.etc. I never have subjected my AS tires to overloading and to such abuse. So yes I choose to ignore those engineers and government regulations because my everyday life experience proves them wrong.
I could write a book about engineering snaffoos I had to deal with and correct in the Infrastructure business I was engaged in over the years.