Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecodog View Post
Just got info from a Michelin rep about the Defender LTX series. While the 235/75R15/ is rated at 2271lbs @5O psi, it has an XL rating and NOT an LT rating. The XL rating (Extra Load) is one grade up from a standard P rated passenger tire, and as such should be derated for use where heaver loads are anticipated. The Defender series does offer LT rated tires, but they start at the 16" rim size and above.

Here is the link that the Michelin rep sent me to for current specs on this line.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...s/details.html

Let the debate continue...
If the XL rating means " Extra Load", why would it need to be "derated"?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #42
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Because the load carrying capacity of all P type tires used in a light truck or trailer application need to be derated by a factor of 1.1 regardless if they are Standard Load or Extra Load. That derating requirement is not only part of the published tire standards, but it is also part of the government regulations.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post

A very interesting question.
The answer basically is : Because I say so.
So now that we been told, does it actually reduce the load capacity or the over all performance of the tire? IMHO absolutely not. I have these 15" LTX Michelin's on my 30' Airstream for 2 years and they have performed far superior to the ST tires in every aspect. I for one wouldn't install a tire that with marginal load capacity in any event, and generally look for a better than 10 % safety margin.
And as far as government regulations go I take them all with a grain of salt. We could do away with 75% and end up with a safer and better functioning society. They rarely get reviewed and updated to keep up with technological advances.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wow...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Makes me want to run out and get Michelins right now....
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Why derate passenger tires?

Here is my opinion: Trailers generally have a shorter travel suspension than cars. Trailers that have tandem axles have the axles in the middle so if the trailer is not run level the load goes up quickly on one or the other axle It is very common to have a tire overloaded on a trailer from the way the trailer is loaded. Tandem axle trailers scuff the side walls on turns. A low pressure tire on a trailer does not always show so trailer tires might get run low more than a car tire. All in all I think the derating has to do with the fact that passenger tires are tested with a car or truck in mind and DOT and the tire manufacturers think that trailer use is sufficiently harder on tires to justify de rating the max load.

Going the other way, you are not even allowed to put ST tires on a passenger carrying vehicle. So that tells me something about how trailer tires are tested and how they get such high load ratings with such poorly constructed tires.

"Makes me want to run out and get Michelins right now...."

In my opinion, a great idea.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"Makes me want to run out and get Michelins right now...."

In my opinion, a great idea.
Thanks, but I think I'll stick to tires specifically designed for trailers, despite the "internet wisdom".
Old 09-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
True or false buying the 235/75r15 2271 weight vs 225/75r15 2540 weight will not effect the performance on my 25 flying cloud
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I made contact with Americas Tire store (Discount Tire) in CA. They would not install these Michelin passenger car tires on my trailer. Nor any tire rated less carrying capacity than the Goodyear Marathons.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
In Folsom, CA. America's tires installed Michelin LT's on my recently purchased 16" Sendel wheels just a few months ago for a 27FB.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I made contact with Americas Tire store (Discount Tire) in CA. They would not install these Michelin passenger car tires on my trailer. Nor any tire rated less carrying capacity than the Goodyear Marathons.
And this from guys in the tire business. I guess they don't read Internet forums...
Old 09-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
In Folsom, CA. America's tires installed Michelin LT's on my recently purchased 16" Sendel wheels just a few months ago for a 27FB.
Those are truck tires.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Thanks, but I think I'll stick to tires specifically designed for trailers, despite the "internet wisdom".

Its not internet wisdom, its a proven fact by a small army of people like me who are actually running these tires.
I have had the Michelin LTX MS2 P235 R15 T108 E tires on our 30' International going on three years now. This year we have traveled over 12k miles from Forida to Chicago and out west. To Yosemite, Moab, Breckenridge back to Chicago. The pressure variance in these tires throughout all of our travels equals 2.5#. And unlike with the original GYM government mandated previous set, I have yet to get on my creaky knees having to adjust the air pressure. Not to mention the greatly improved ride and handling of the trailer.
The Specifically Designed Government Mandated GYM Tires, inspite of all the babying and worrying had a massive blowout and thread separation on I-4 in the middle lane. In addition to loosing the tires we ended up with $ 9,200 damage to the trailer and all the hassle that went with that fiasco.
And I am but one of the many who had this experience. This happens on all trailers regularly.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
GYMs are just cheaply made. Compare the two tires side by side dismounted and mounted. You don't have to be tire expert to see and feel the difference. In the GYMs you can see the uneven construction on the sidewalls. I had one the tire shop could not even balance. Needed to be replaced. It is why running the Centramatics help with the GMYs. I too have lost three GYMs in the early years, luckily without too much damage but what a dangerous pain in the rear to change on a busy highway. I have immediately replaced them on the last three trailers. Never ever had an issue. One less thing to monitor and worry about. To each his own and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm sorry, but we appear to have a different definition of "fact". The fact is that manufacturers make tires specifically for trailers, except Michelin. The fact is you are using tires designed for light trucks on your trailer.

I am not disputing that may work for you or other in this forum. Which is why I refer to it as "internet wisdom". There are tire resellers that will refuse to install these Michelins on a trailer. Their reason? They are not designed for trailers.

I am not advocating GY Marathon's, specifically. There are other brands of trailer tires. But I will forego the Internet wisdom and follow the tire manufacturers recommendation. Not posts from the Internet. Not even what the trailer manufacturer does. The trailer manufacturer makes trailers, not tires.

Tire manufacturers, on the other hand, manufacture tires. That's their business. And they make tires specifically for trailers. So I will stick with those.

Goodyears have failures. Michelins have failures. All tires have the potential to fail. So regardless of which tire I pick, I will monitor tire pressure, not exceed max weight ratings, and avoid driving over things that could make them go boom. But I appreciate you having a different opinion and wanting to use light truck tires on a trailer. It's your trailer, so you are free to use whichever tire you are most comfortable with.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #56
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I'm sorry, but we appear to have a different definition of "fact". The fact is that manufacturers make tires specifically for trailers, except Michelin. The fact is you are using tires designed for light trucks on your trailer.

I am not disputing that may work for you or other in this forum. Which is why I refer to it as "internet wisdom". There are tire resellers that will refuse to install these Michelins on a trailer. Their reason? They are not designed for trailers.

I am not advocating GY Marathon's, specifically. There are other brands of trailer tires. But I will forego the Internet wisdom and follow the tire manufacturers recommendation. Not posts from the Internet. Not even what the trailer manufacturer does. The trailer manufacturer makes trailers, not tires.

Tire manufacturers, on the other hand, manufacture tires. That's their business. And they make tires specifically for trailers. So I will stick with those.

Goodyears have failures. Michelins have failures. All tires have the potential to fail. So regardless of which tire I pick, I will monitor tire pressure, not exceed max weight ratings, and avoid driving over things that could make them go boom. But I appreciate you having a different opinion and wanting to use light truck tires on a trailer. It's your trailer, so you are free to use whichever tire you are most comfortable with.
Me Too
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I doubt Thor Industries pays more than $25 per GYM. Recreational/utility railer tires are rated trailer to limit liability in order to produce as cheaply as possible. I don't have experience with other trailer tire brands because if buying new I want better inherent quality and for the manufacturer to be concerned with liability. Liability exposure is what makes the difference.

2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 09-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU1981 View Post
We have a 2015 27FB FC that I am interested in putting Michelin tires on. If I stick with 15" tires what tire is recommended? Why are some AS owners moving to 16" ?

Thanks,

Glenn
Getting back to the original question, we have Michelin LTX/MS2/P235 R15/ on our 28 International. After three years full timing and 63,000 km. they have been flawless.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I used the 15" Michelin on the 25' and Nokian Rotiiva AT 235/75R15 116/113 S, max load 2760 on the 30'

Old 09-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I used the 15" Michelin on the 25' and Nokian Rotiiva AT 235/75R15 116/113 S, max load 2760 on the 30'

How do you like the Nokias and how hard are they to find?

There's also this Pirelli - an actual LT15" tire with 2335# capacity but they seem hard to come by as well.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDet...=375SR5SCORATR
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote