Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #15
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
To clarify, your 2016 30 FC came with Michelin Defender LTX M/S 235/75-15 from the factory?

Your GVWR is 8800 pounds which is more than the 2,000 pound per tire derated for trailer use allowance. I'm surprised that Airstream would do that.
Not from the factory, I do believe.
I think that CanAm in London, Ont. takes the factory tires off, and installs the Michelins on the larger ASs. Check with Andy on that.
As I mentioned, my avg. tow wt.is about 7800-8000#, so I'm just 'under the wire'.
On some previous trips this last summer, (Avg. temps. 30-32C) my tires were warm but not hot, cruising at 100-110 KPH., as felt with my hand at occasional roadside stops.

I would feel more comfortable with higher rated tires, but these Michelins are new, and replacement would be very costly.

I did order from Amazon, a set of 50PSI valve caps that tell you visually if pressure is lower than 50.
Does anyone have any experience with them?
Somebody once said that these things leak air out of the tire; but I have used similar ones successfully on my Hi-Lo, in the past.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I got these per recommendation of a friend:

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDeta...omCompare1=yes

They are 15" LT tires with 2096# load capacity. My trailers GVWR is 7500#, axle ratings is 7000# (3500# per axle), so these tires provide a good load capacity margin. Actual axle weight of my trailer axles were 5200#, with water tanks partially full (my trailer's water tanks are on the axles). Hence, I don't think I'll ever get close to max capacity.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Frank, could you please explain exactly what you are talking about? I do not think the tire you mentioned carries either a D or an E rating. And on mine it says the max inflation is 50 psi.
Do your research. Took me some effort but I did find the information.
Due to the intense nature of this subject, reading scary posts about "must derate" must go to 16" wheels,must have centrimatics etc.etc,etc. I was confused and concerned so I set out an did my research. Took me quite some time but got the information and went ahead with confidence to install the tires I described and have no regrets, they are performing exceptionally well. I have no stake in this other than noting my actual life experience switching to a non ST Michelin LTX tire.

Same situation with the TPM system. Three years ago I purchased, on line the EEZ Tire T515 Sytem for around $ 290.00. It was a breeze to install and set up and it has been performing flawlessly. Haven't even had to replace a battery in three years.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Do your research. Took me some effort but I did find the information.

Due to the intense nature of this subject, reading scary posts about "must derate" must go to 16" wheels,must have centrimatics etc.etc,etc. I was confused and concerned so I set out an did my research. Took me quite some time but got the information and went ahead with confidence to install the tires I described....(snip)

You're referring to something you posted earlier - Michelin LTX/MS2/P235 R15/ T108 which you claim is D rated at 50 PSI and E rated at 65 PSI.

Could you share where you got this information? "Do your research" doesn't help. You're making a claim here that no one else (myself included - and I believe I've "done my research" including talking with Michelin directly) has seen. Please share the source of this statement.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You're referring to something you posted earlier - Michelin LTX/MS2/P235 R15/ T108 which you claim is D rated at 50 PSI and E rated at 65 PSI.

Could you share where you got this information? "Do your research" doesn't help. You're making a claim here that no one else (myself included - and I believe I've "done my research" including talking with Michelin directly) has seen. Please share the source of this statement.
Agree. Wheather ST or LT, E rated/10 ply tires are rated 80psi. D/8 ply tires, 65 psi. After doing an awful lot of speed and load rating research, I've never seen anything different.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sonoma , California
Just got info from a Michelin rep about the Defender LTX series. While the 235/75R15/ is rated at 2271lbs @5O psi, it has an XL rating and NOT an LT rating. The XL rating (Extra Load) is one grade up from a standard P rated passenger tire, and as such should be derated for use where heaver loads are anticipated. The Defender series does offer LT rated tires, but they start at the 16" rim size and above.

Here is the link that the Michelin rep sent me to for current specs on this line.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...s/details.html

Let the debate continue...
Old 09-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by spletkay06 View Post
where are you getting the d rated at 50 psi and e rated at 65 psi? That's completely false.

Load Range XL.pdf
LTX Light Truck Extra Load E2 Load Range
Old 09-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
I have the Michelin 235/75 R15 LTX and am confused as to what pressure to run. Tire says max 50PSI, however what pressure should you have them at. Is 40 or 45 to low?

Can't seem to find a good answer.

Dave
Old 09-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by spletkay06 View Post
where are you getting the d rated at 50 psi and e rated at 65 psi? That's completely false.

Load Range XL (1).pdf
Old 09-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
LTX Light Truck Extra Load E2
Old 09-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I have the Michelin 235/75 R15 LTX and am confused as to what pressure to run. Tire says max 50PSI, however what pressure should you have them at. Is 40 or 45 to low?

Dave
I run them at 50psi on my 23D. They have performed well in all conditions.

Performance under braking is much better than with the Marathons.

The ride seems much smoother I've never lost a rivet with the Michelins.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
LTX Light Truck Extra Load E2

Frank - how are you applying the table you posted here? I'm afraid you are still not understanding the actual designation of the markings stamped on the sidewalk to indicate its technical specs.

Below is a screenshot of the specs on this tire from Tire Rack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473105235.881090.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	270904

There is no "extra load E2" stamped on this tire. This tire can be inflated to a maximum of 50 psi to carry 2183 lbs. However, if using them on a trailer - which Michelin does not recommend - US federal regulations stipulate you must reduce stated load capacity by 9% to calculate how much load these can carry (giving them 1985# of capacity). A D load range ST tire gets you 2540# of capacity (and does not have to be derated).

Here is a link that describes how to decode what's on a tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

No scare tactics here - just some standard facts. I use these tires on my trailer myself and only did so after extensive research on capacity. It took a while to understand the concepts but it's critical to know exactly what you're dealing with.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post

Dave

I run them at 50 PSI. The tire experts in these forums have discussed some of the risks of going lower than this (overheating, reduced load capacity, etc.). I'll see if I can find the specific thread this has been discussed (there are many of them!).
Old 09-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Several people recommend 44 lbs for the p235x15 XL tire. I run mine at 48 or so. I think the deal is they are rated to carry the full load capacity at any pressure from 42 to 50 with a 50 psi maximum. Some people like them soft, some like a little more pressure. But it does not increase their load carrying to inflate past 42. Click on Frank's link to the little chart to see the pressure for the maximum load chart for various rated tires.

Michelin used to make LTX tires of different load ratings. I have E's on my TV. But the 15" LTX tires of recent years are XL rated tires. And I think now discontinued in favor of the Defender?