Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #41
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume View Post
I think some people write just to see their words in print.

I stand by my (re)printed specifications exactly as written.

Your "amendments" are in fact misinterpretations of almost all current tire manufacturer's stated specifications.
I write to attempt to help other people learn what I've learned here on this forum. First tier tire manufacturers do not use "ply ratings" to express load capacities for radial tires. They use Load Index on P type tires and Load Ranges on LT and ST type tires.

http://www.barrystiretech.com/loadtables.html
http://www.barrystiretech.com/sttires.html

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I got the energy together yesterday, (still fighting a cold for over a month) to get some real exercise and setup my scales to weigh the camping ready 23D with all of the mods except the refrigerator that will add about 15 pounds directly above the street front tire.

1,280.........1,246 - total on axle 2,526

1,376.........1,233 - total on axle 2,609

With all the electronics installed for the solar system under the street side dinette and sofa, I expected the street side to be heavier. The street side rear will be the heaviest loaded tire sine the black tank is on the left rear of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23D Curb side.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	257064   Click image for larger version

Name:	23D Street side.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	257065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	23D Street side 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	257066   Click image for larger version

Name:	23D Scale Display.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	257067  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #43
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
I've been asked to talk about Ply Ratings. First, the technical background.

As a tire gets larger, it takes more strength to contain the air pressure (or whatever gas is being used as an inflation medium). Those of you of an engineering nature should look up "Thin Walled Pressure Vessels". Here's the Wikipedia entry on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_stress

In the old days, cotton fabric was used as a reinforcement, and to get more strength, more layers (plies) of it were used. When the tire industry started to standardize (maybe about the early 1900's), it became apparent that a standard measure was needed - thus the invention of the "Ply Rating" (PR), where a standard strength was assigned to a ply, and since all tires were bias ply tires, they came in pairs - 2, 4, 6, etc. It is opened ended with no limit. In very very large tires, the PR's exceeded 60 PR.

The idea of PR is that in order to use more inflation pressure, the tire has to be stronger - hence more plies.

Side note: Sharp thinking folks will realize that as tires get physically larger, there reaches a point where the tire has to jump up an increment in PR in order to contain the same pressure as a physically smaller tire. You can see a bit of this in Light Truck tires, but in very very large tires (like mining tires), it is quite apparent.

I think it is obvious that using the term "Ply Rating" has a built in confusion factor - the actual number of plies versus the ply rating. Not to mention that a ply can be made out of many different materials, and those materials do not have the same strength. For example, steel wire can be used as a fabric and it is obviously very strong compared to cotton.

To eliminate this confusion, PR was discontinued in favor of "Load Ranges" (LR) - A, B, C, D, etc., where A = 2 PR, B = 4 PR, C = 6 PR, etc.

EXCEPT: In passenger car tires, the use of Standard Load and Extra Load were substituted. Unfortunately, it is NOT an exact fit. A Standard Load tire is not exactly a 2 PR and an Extra Load in not exactly a 4 PR, particularly when it comes to larger tire sizes (See my side note above!)

I'm going to guess the transition from PR to LR took place in the late 1960's, but it is an American invention, and the Europeans don't quite subscribe to this an prefer their invention of "Load Index" Load Index has a nice property to it as it takes care the the problem of the jumping increments mention in the side note above.

I really dislike the use to the term "Ply" when people talk about the strength of a tire. "Ply" doesn't tell me how strong a tire is. For example, a typical over the road truck has a single body ply (made of steel wire) with 3 or 4 steel belts (only 2 of which are actually needed!) for a Load Range H, (the equivalent of a 16 PR).

Another example is an LT tire. Typically they have 2 body plies of polyester with 2 steel belts - with perhaps 1 or 2 cap plies (made of nylon) - REGARDLESS of Load Range! But passenger car tires can also have the same number of plies (not always!). It all depends on what material is used and how much of it there is and what is required strengthwise.

May I suggest that folks try to stop using the term "ply" when they mean "Ply Rating" - AND - they discontinue the use of the term "PR" as it leads to confusion (as we can see in this thread!)

Thank you.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote