Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #1

2001 34' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
15 '' D rated verses 16'' E rated Tires

My 2001 34' Classic Excella seems to be hard on tires, this is my first 3 axle TT, and the right rear tire was worn down to the steel ply when I got it home from picking it up from the seller, Orlando to Jacksonville approx 180 miles. All tires were put on at the same time in 2011 GYM's. After reading different articles in the forum it seems that the 16'' E rated tires might be the way to go, but will the gain out way the expense of new tires and wheels, plus will their be any issues with wheel well clearances? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
hodges53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not have a 3 axle trailer. I have watched a couple of people who do have rotate tires on one side to even wear and to extend tire life. I suspect you have a alignment problem of some sort. Maybe a bent axle. The main reason to go to the 16 inch tires is for the improved tire selection in that size. But that will probably not fix the problem and wearing out a 16 inch Michelin is expensive. Not against the 16 inch but I would watch the carefully and try to address the real issue
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges53 View Post
My 2001 34' Classic Excella seems to be hard on tires, this is my first 3 axle TT, and the right rear tire was worn down to the steel ply when I got it home from picking it up from the seller, Orlando to Jacksonville approx 180 miles. All tires were put on at the same time in 2011 GYM's. After reading different articles in the forum it seems that the 16'' E rated tires might be the way to go, but will the gain out way the expense of new tires and wheels, plus will their be any issues with wheel well clearances? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If only one tire out of 6 wore out that fast, I would suspect that wheel assembly is out of alignment.

16 inch load range "E" tires are nice, but fork lift tires would certainly avoid the issue of having a flat.

To me, the "E" ratings are total overkill, and are an excuse for evading proper PM.

There is no tire ever made, that is perfect. But yes, things happen in most form of production.

The larger the use of a given brand, of course the greater the failures, simply because of percentages.

One percent as an example of 10,000 is only 100. One percent of a 100,000 is 1,000. The more that is used of a given brand of trailer, obviously the more failures, even though the percentage stays the same.

To me, "E" tire do two things, for an Airstream travel trailer owner.

1. Strengthens the pocket book of the tire dealer.
2. Weakens the pocket book of the Airstream owner.

But, to each his own beliefs.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I agree with Bill, and think you have a severe alignment problem. Need to fix that before you do anything about the tires.

Then, about the 16" tires/wheels, the main reason for going to 16" is so you can get an "LT" tire rather than being stuck with the "ST" tires that do not have a good record of staying together. However, three weeks ago I had a 225/75 16 "LTE" BF Goodrich Commercial TA blow out and cause in excess of $2500 damage to my trailer.

Seems there are no tires that are not subject to failure.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I have brought this up before, there is an "E" rated LT tire available for the 15" wheel. It is a Nokian Rotiiva AT 235/75R15 116/113S.
I know nothing about it and would really like to hear some comments from the experts about this tire
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
I have the 16 inch Michelins on my three axle, with about 10000 miles on them in the last year and 1/2 with no problems what so ever. No uneven wear problems or anything else. I do have the tire pressure monitors on all 6 wheels and watch the pressure and temp. As for me, i'm very happy with the 16 inch michelins.
HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlying View Post
I have the 16 inch Michelins on my three axle, with about 10000 miles on them in the last year and 1/2 with no problems what so ever. No uneven wear problems or anything else. I do have the tire pressure monitors on all 6 wheels and watch the pressure and temp. As for me, i'm very happy with the 16 inch michelins.
At one year, and 10,000 miles my BF Goodrich Commercial TA's were perfect too.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just got maxxis 15s today, no blowouts yet in the 4 block drive home!! wish me luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
At one year, and 10,000 miles my BF Goodrich Commercial TA's were perfect too.
Were you just too cheap to buy the Michelins Steve?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Were you just too cheap to buy the Michelins Steve?
Actually, Discount Tire, where I bought them, recommended them. They said they were built by Michelin, and that they had been having excellent luck with them. They were a little less expensive than Michelins, but not much. And, Bob Thompson who was one of the first that I know of to go to 16" LT's ran two sets, one set wore out from mileage, and never had a failure.

Come to find out, Michelin owns BFG, and Uniroyal, but they don't build them. Different thing.