Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2006, 04:00 AM   #61
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
chris

don't worry about changing the inflation on range E tires.

on my silverado i run 55 psi (front) 80 psi (rear) with the trailer and the harley in the bed. this is what is on the door jamb.

for general hauling and whatever i run 55 front 55 rear.

i get excellent control and tread wear doing this, the tires never show signs of over heating.

btw, i run goodyear ATD2's from sams.

john
Old 11-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Thanks guys, I'll be going to the tire shop today. Since I had them order the D range I'll probably stick with them. But I will ask if they don't mind switching .
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #63

2000 30' Excella
Greenville , South Carolina
New to this website. Ready to replace all tires on our 2000 30' Excella as the tires were manufactured in early 2003 (D-load Marathons/225 75R 15). Have only put about 12,000 miles on current tires with no problems but know that it's time to replace them. Hearing/reading about all the Marathon horror stories and wondering what brand(s) to consider??? Have also heard that the new/redesigned Marathons have an S in a circle on them - will check ours the next time we go to storage area (under cover in open front building). Some say that the new Marathons are not an issue???? We are told that some Airstreamers are switching to Towmaster (Greenball). Any comments on that brand? We are dual axle and about 8300# loaded - any comments on using E-load tires?
Excella2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #64
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella2000
New to this website. Ready to replace all tires on our 2000 30' Excella as the tires were manufactured in early 2003 (D-load Marathons/225 75R 15). Have only put about 12,000 miles on current tires with no problems but know that it's time to replace them. Hearing/reading about all the Marathon horror stories and wondering what brand(s) to consider??? Have also heard that the new/redesigned Marathons have an S in a circle on them - will check ours the next time we go to storage area (under cover in open front building). Some say that the new Marathons are not an issue???? We are told that some Airstreamers are switching to Towmaster (Greenball). Any comments on that brand? We are dual axle and about 8300# loaded - any comments on using E-load tires?
The Marathon problem was years ago.

They are fine.

Using "E" rated tires is a good way to possibly split the wheels, and to cause several different damages to the trailer.

Airstream trailers love a soft ride. A rough ride as you propose, is almost the same thing as using solid rubber tires.

If "E" tires were better, Airstream would have installed them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #65

2000 30' Excella
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

They are fine.

Using "E" rated tires is a good way to possibly split the wheels, and to cause several different damages to the trailer.

Airstream trailers love a soft ride. A rough ride as you propose, is almost the same thing as using solid rubber tires.

If "E" tires were better, Airstream would have installed them.

Andy
Thanks for the input, Andy. That put's the E-rated tire question to bed and is consistent with what we thought.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I would use E better tire more capacity
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Stay with ST rated tires for trailers and keep the LT for the truck.

No thanks on the ST tires,to many left laying beside the road,I`ll stick with LT on my trailers.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #68
Manky bobber

2008 30' Classic S/O
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
They are fine.
Andy
I realized Andy has probably already forgotten more about Airstreams than I will ever know, but I have to disagree. The Marathons are not "fine."

I just had a tread separation/blowout yesterday on my 2008 Classic. We were pulling the trailer back from the dealer. There are less than 6000 miles on the new trailer with the Marathons (just purchased last Fall). The spare already has the "bulges," and will be replaced with all the other tires this week.

A 6000 mile lifespan? I think I have bicycle tires with more miles on them.
ycookmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #69
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycookmd View Post
I realized Andy has probably already forgotten more about Airstreams than I will ever know, but I have to disagree. The Marathons are not "fine."

I just had a tread separation/blowout yesterday on my 2008 Classic. We were pulling the trailer back from the dealer. There are less than 6000 miles on the new trailer with the Marathons (just purchased last Fall). The spare already has the "bulges," and will be replaced with all the other tires this week.

A 6000 mile lifespan? I think I have bicycle tires with more miles on them.
Did you have the running gear properly balanced?

Andy
Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
my view....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Ok, guys... a question... In June, I replaced the "D" range Steeltex tires on my Excursion with "E" range 245/75R-16 Steeltex also. I have been running about 60psi front and 70 rear with the trailer, but it sounds like I need to go a little higher to the 80psi; although 70 seemed to be fine with no induced sway, and I was under the impression that 80psi was the MAX inflation... BTW, I have towed it short distances (40 miles or so) a couple of times with the tires at 55psi (mostly 'cause I was too lazy to go get them inflated properly) and DO have sway at 55psi... go figure! Underinflation causes sway? Whoda ever thunk it?

Anyway, what do you guys run them at when you're NOT towing and loaded? I've got mine currently at 55psi, which seems to work OK, but I don't want to wear them prematurely either or potentially have a sidewall failure. The tire sticker on the Excursion actually recommends 35psi (unbelievable to me)! Firestone wasn't much help; they just say you can run them up to 80psi, but won't give a recommended psi.

Roger
The max pressure is at or near max load... within reason as you get away from max load you can back down from max pressure. Front tires are a bit different. When you load the rear you increase dynamic loading - not static loading during breaking. Hence, your inclination to run more pressure when you are loaded compared to when you aren't is correct. The relationship of pressure to loading is not linear and it at very light loads does not intersect pressure at zero. Typically, Michelin has a mandatory minimum of 75% of max inflation pressure. That is, they don't like to see the tire pressure below 60lbs on an 80lbs max tire. Still, on the 3/4 ton, I run around town with 50 in the front and 55 in the back or I'd need to carry extra glue to recement my fillings routinely.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #71
Manky bobber

2008 30' Classic S/O
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Did you have the running gear properly balanced?
Andy
I did not have the wheels and tires balanced after taking delivery of the trailer. However, I do not believe that imbalance (even if any existed) can explain the tires failing at less than 6,000 miles. I think they are just crummy tires.
ycookmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #72
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycookmd View Post
I did not have the wheels and tires balanced after taking delivery of the trailer. However, I do not believe that imbalance (even if any existed) can explain the tires failing at less than 6,000 miles. I think they are just crummy tires.
Regardless of brand of tires, 6000 miles on unbalanced running gear is more than enough to have considerable tire trouble.

It doesn't have to be the tire that's out of balance, it could be the hub and drum.

Todays hub and drums are usually pretty good, but there still remains some that could be oh oh!

Andy
Old 03-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I don't think the problem with Marathons has gone away. We have just gotten tired of rehashing this old problem. IMHO, anyone still running Marathons is just asking for trouble...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #74

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella2000 View Post
The issue with looking for Marathons with the S on them goes all the way back to around the year 2000. My 2001 Safari's Marathons were the tires that had the S molded on them. Let's hope that no one buys any Marathons without that S (I assume they still put that insignia on them today).

I upgraded to E's after having the tread peel off one of my Marathon's after 4 seasons of use. I for one babied those tires so I know it wasn't my lack of care that caused that tire tread to peel. I did go to E rated Maxxis tires but only because of the weight of my trailer. At the time my 2004 30' Classic slide out was the heaviest trailer that Airstream built on twin axles. I for one wanted a little more margin of comfort between the actual weight of the trailer and tire capacity limit. In my case I've seen no structural issues due to moving from D to E rated tires. I would state however that moving to E rated tires should not be an automatic knee jerk reaction. If the margin of capacity is sufficient with your D's, you should not do the E upgrade. In my case Maxxis was one of the few manufacturers out there making an E rated ST tire in a 15" size. Many folks who have gone to E's are using a truck tire and probably have gone to 16" wheels

Jack.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #75

2000 30' Excella
Excella2000 New Tires

Before we left for National Landmarks West Caravan in June, 2008 we purchased 5 new Towmaster (Greenball) 8 ply (15" ST) tires for our 30' Excella 2000. We put 10k miles on the trailer over the course of 12 weeks and the tires served us very well. One flat tire on the trailer, however, it was due to the fact that we picked up a very small, sharp piece of volcanic rock that pierced the tread. Fortunately we were parked in a campground when the tire lost pressure. So far we have been very pleased with the performance of these tires. Have only come across one other person who had a Towmaster tire on their trailer.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #76
raybell23

2017 23' Flying Cloud
florence , South Carolina
1/2 ton tires

In may of 2007 took a trip out west on my 6 year old ST225/75R15 load range D Marathon tires. Had no problem with the Marathons prior to this and debated weather to replace them because of age but decided to chance it. After a flat due to a nail and a split at the tread line on one tire i decided to replace them at Moab, Utah. The only tires in stock were the Tow-Masters. I replaced the 4 Marathons with Tow-Master ST225/75R15 load range D tires made in Canada. They have served me well. I have put on approx. 6000 miles and plan a trip to the west coast in 3 weeks. Hope they do well. Ray
raybell27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1/2 ton