Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
1/2 inch impact wrench recommendations

I just saw this impact set on sale.
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-4pc-...ea06720a240612

$23.99
Old 12-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #62
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
If you're a commercial shop (time is money):

Start the lug nuts by hand (avoid stripping threads $$).
Run them down w/ a torque stick in the air impact to limit the torque to 20-30 ft-lbs less than desired.

Finish w/ a torque wrench.

This goes fast and doesn't over torque. At home, I'm just careful w/ the impact wrench .

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I had a 1/2" corded impact wrench that I bought at the dollar store for $29. Never had one before that, and I came to really like it and appreciate the work it saved me. I used it mainly twice a year when I did the winter/summer tire and wheel swap on two vehicles. Lasted about 10 years. Then, I lowered a car on top of it and shattered the plastic housing. Got through another year by wrapping it with duct tape. This year, my son bought me a replacement Porter Cable, which was under $100. I've used it once, and it's just fine for my occasional use.
Anything with a battery eventually needs....a new battery.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Centennial , Colorado
You've already gotten many good recommendations for "brand names"... I'll take a different tack...

I purchased a reasonably priced pneumatic gun (approx. $140 Kobalt)... it's done everything I've asked of it... the issue I have with it is the location of the forward/reverse control... it's on the side of the gun... sticks out about a half-inch from the body of the gun so when I lay the gun down on it's side it's possible I've inadvertently "reversed" the direction of rotation... when I pick it up to use it on the next fastener I then loosen something I intended to tighten... and vice-versa...

I had an old Monkey Wards gun with the directional control under and parallel to the rotating hammer shaft... push the control forward with my thumb to tighten fasteners, push the control back with my finger to loosen... much more convenient...

Just pay attention to how the gun will work in your hands... and on the garage floor...
S854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I've had good luck with Harbor Freight "Earthquake" air impact guns. I owned a Mack dump truck for a few years and I still have them, in 1/2, 3/4 and 1inch. Never an issue. My truck tire guy recommend them. He used them super hard, all day, every day! Not too expensive, reliable and have good power. Oil any air powered tool before you use it. 5 or 6 drops down the male end of the quick connector, daily.
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

1/2" impact wrench

It has been my experience in buying tires (for any vehicle I have ever had) that the person installing them has over torqued them well past what is necessary regardless what the tire salesman told me they would do. As an example, I had a Ford F150 pickup that I could not remove the lug nuts using a standard cross lug wrench. When I resorted to using my Sears "professional" model 1/2" air impact wrench, I discovered that in reverse mode, it didn't have the power to remove the lug nuts either. I ended up using a socket and long breaker bar to get the job done. My impact wrench has three forward speeds and has always proven satisfactory when used in that mode. In reverse mode, however, it didn't measure up. I wish I had a recommendation for you but that is the only experience I have had with an impact wrench.
Philip498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Bellevue , Washington
I have to chime in here about my observations of the Milwaukie Battery Powered impact. I had my Airstream to a Trailer Electrical expert as I had some issues with the brake controller (turned out my brand new GMC Denali has a defective brake controller).

Anyway, Gary Estes in Issaquah, WA expressed concerns about my safety chains. I had installed new ones as I got an anti sway Leveling hitch and the old ones were too short. I was an idiot and used stainless nuts and bolts which turned out to have fused when I installed them with my pnuematic gun due to “galling.”

Gary pulled out a battery powered Milwaukie Pneumatic gun and I doubted it’s strength until I saw it was able to provide enough torque to break the bolts!!!

The convenience of battery power and no compressor or hose is indisputable. The demonstration convinced me we have reached a point where battery power is strong enough to be worth it.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
If you are looking for high quality then the Ingersol Rand, Model # IRT231C if you want air or Snap-On CT8850 1/2" Dr. if you are looking for a cordless impact wrench. They are not cheap but both will last a lifetime of personal use and will have no problem cracking those wheel nuts, no matter how tight the tire shop guys torque them.
thewarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip498 View Post
As an example, I had a Ford F150 pickup that I could not remove the lug nuts using a standard cross lug wrench. When I resorted to using my Sears "professional" model 1/2" air impact wrench, I discovered that in reverse mode, it didn't have the power to remove the lug nuts either. My impact wrench has three forward speeds and has always proven satisfactory when used in that mode. In reverse mode, however, it didn't measure up. I wish I had a recommendation for you but that is the only experience I have had with an impact wrench.
It all depends on how much psi you are putting to the gun and the size and length of the air hose being used. A 100 psi through a good quality 1/2 inch air hose and there should not be too much that your Sears impact would not be able to loosen.
thewarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I don't want to carry unnecessary and heavy tools. The best is when I can use a single tool for two or more types of jobs. For instance I have a Dewalt 791 20V cordless drill. I use it to manually raid and lower my stabilizers and A frame jack.

I have had to change my tires while on the road. I do it myself. But I am old. At least, that is what my wife keeps reminding me when she makes me get old age discounts in stores.

But after reading this thread it occurs to me that something like the (Amazon) DEWALT DCF899B 20v MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench with Detent Anvil might be a better tool to carry.

Can this be used in place of a cordless drill? I don't want to carry both tools when on the road. Can a person drill holes with it also?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Most impact wrenches will not drill holes IMO. The tool specs should cover this.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #72
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I don't want to carry unnecessary and heavy tools. The best is when I can use a single tool for two or more types of jobs. For instance I have a Dewalt 791 20V cordless drill. I use it to manually raid and lower my stabilizers and A frame jack.

I have had to change my tires while on the road. I do it myself. But I am old. At least, that is what my wife keeps reminding me when she makes me get old age discounts in stores.

But after reading this thread it occurs to me that something like the (Amazon) DEWALT DCF899B 20v MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench with Detent Anvil might be a better tool to carry.

Can this be used in place of a cordless drill? I don't want to carry both tools when on the road. Can a person drill holes with it also?
-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm OLD & (school) also...my cordless drill works well with both the haha jacks and AS stabilizers...plus I use an original style cordless torque wench while on the road. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_159d.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	330772  
Old 01-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

The DeWalt cordless impact wrench has a 1/2 inch square drive output shaft. No chuck for drill bits. I carry it, a smaller impact driver and a regular drill. They all use the same 20 volt XLR battery pack.

To me the big thing is to use a standard battery in as many tools as possible, hence DeWalt 20 volt for most of the power tools. Also have a circular saw and reciprocating saw that use the same battery.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia

Quote:

I have the Dewalt Impact gun, it has three torque ranges 50 to 100 ft. Lbs, 100 to 300 ft.lbs and the third 300 to 800 ft lbs.
You can raise and lower stabilizer easily on the lowest setting, and the highest will tighten any Truck tire or even large bolts to hold bridges together....lol...
But it will not drill a hole....
I carry both my drill and this tool, and three spare batteries, and the charger in the bag that came with impact driver.
DSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:19 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Thanks for the advise. Guess I will have to carry both cordless tools. Sigh...

I have changed tires using a cross wrench but now that my wife says I am old it is becoming difficult to do it that way.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #76
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
It all depends on how much psi you are putting to the gun and the size and length of the air hose being used. A 100 psi through a good quality 1/2 inch air hose and there should not be too much that your Sears impact would not be able to loosen.
Thanks! That is good to know. I might add that that same air wrench was used (successfully) to remove a brass temperature sending unit from the engine block of a 1941 International Harvester Formal M tractor that I could not remove with an impact socket and about 3' or more of a breaker bar. There is something to be said about the sudden impact of an impact wrench!
Philip498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Ok, I received, and finally got a chance to try out my new toy. The DeWalt impact wrench works great for my use. It loosened the lug nuts very easily. I'm happy!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #78
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Thanks for the advise. Guess I will have to carry both cordless tools. Sigh...

I have changed tires using a cross wrench but now that my wife says I am old it is becoming difficult to do it that way.
My 'old fart' trick...
Pull out the emergency scissor jack raise it to the level of the stubborn lug nut, one end of you're + on the nut the other on the scissor pad, one leg on the trailing + arm and step up, bounce if needed. Sometimes two arms and all your weight will be enough. 🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:

My wife has not said I am old, but the wrench is getting harder to use anyway. Of course, she’s being nice and we both know I am old.

I find it interesting so many people like DeWalt tools. When I need a power tool and I can’t find credible reviews, my default brand is DeWalt. DeWalt tools generally are among the top tools in Fine Homebuilding reviews. DeWalt is Black & Decker’s premium line and it is miles better than B&D’s tools.

Also general agreement that mechanics overtighten lug nuts. I agree. I guess it is easier to set an impact wrench at a million pounds and use it for everything. Because so many supposed experts do a poor job, I try to do everything myself, at least until my wife says I’m too old. I think she avoids telling me because I’ll ask her to help.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #80
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I have a Ryobi 1/2 inch drive that works with my 18V Ryobi One batteries. They have two different torque models.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote

« Tpms | Top | New tires »