Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #71
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
P tires in XL are okay for trailers (when de-rated by 10%); this is what both AIRSTREAM and CAN AM use on some upgrades. But I'd agree that I'd rather have LT-spec tires.

As to how WDH works: On todays vehicles (excepting cars and other softly-sprung) the TW is divided by a 60-40 or 75-25 split from TV RA to TT axles when TV FA is restored to "laden, unhitched" value.

A 900-lb TW, properly-split, means a few hundred pounds on the TT axles in addition to its "hitched, laden" value. At 1800-lbs tire minimum, and needing a 15% margin (this is all guesstimate w/o scale weights) a tire of around 2000-2200 is needed (given a true scale weight of .9 of GVWR). Higher load rated would be a bit better, overall. Wheels must also conform.

BFGOODRICH COMMERCIAL T/A or BRIDGESTONE DURAVIS m250 would be a no-brainer purchase short of more work done.

I'd do the work based on Barry Smith's new chart on ST tire replacement, and work from TT GVWR instead of a percentage:

Barry's Tire Tech

Kelly, you'll also want to do a set of certified weight scale readings to get your WDH well dialled in. It will also remove any question about what tires for either vehicle are best (as to load rating) not to mention best TV tire pressures!

The closest CAT Scales are in San'tonio. Otherwise, along IH-35. May be some other scales closer to home that you can use (see 2Air's CAT Scale thread). And Kerrville (where my folks moved just over 20-yrs ago) has plenty of tire retailers (DISCOUNT my favorite as well).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #72
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Wow, I just cannot thank all of you enough for your great advice. One of the reasons I bought an AS was exactly what all of you are doing for me---giving me great advice. I called a trusted man in my home town that has sold tires for about 40 years. He suggested Greenball E load ST tires in the size I have now 225/75/15R but from all the threads I have read on ST tires I thought it might be best to go with a LT. He says he has had no problems with the the ST tires, but I don't know how many Airstreams he has put them on.

I do want to do this right the first time. I think I read to upgrade to 16" tires the wheels would cost about $600.

Gene, the Marathons are 7 years old and showing some age. I drive 55 and like I said have not been far. Yes, they do have a lot of tread. The previous owners only drove from Fredericksburg, Tx to Sante Fe four times in the 3 years they had the trailer.

So another question--I thought when it had LTX in front of all the tire info that it meant Light Truck--- I am looking at Tire Rack and the tires say LTX MS2 235/75R15. The ones from Walmart have the P right in front of the 235. Are those both Passenger tires? Sorry-----I am so confused

Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #73
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
BFGOODRICH COMMERCIAL T/A or BRIDGESTONE DURAVIS m250 would be a no-brainer purchase short of more work done.

Sounds like I have been down the wrong road. I will call Discount tire (thanks Gene and RedNax) and see what they can do for my AS. I am driving my husband crazy about these new tires but I travel mostly by myself, so for me it's crucial that I have something safe so I'm not out changing a blown out tire on some highway.

Thank you , thank you, thank you ---all of you. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. I'll find a scale and go weigh.

Kelly
Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #74
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
P tires in XL are okay for trailers (when de-rated by 10%); this is what both AIRSTREAM and CAN AM use on some upgrades. But I'd agree that I'd rather have LT-spec tires.

As to how WDH works: On todays vehicles (excepting cars and other softly-sprung) the TW is divided by a 60-40 or 75-25 split from TV RA to TT axles when TV FA is restored to "laden, unhitched" value.

A 900-lb TW, properly-split, means a few hundred pounds on the TT axles in addition to its "hitched, laden" value. At 1800-lbs tire minimum, and needing a 15% margin (this is all guesstimate w/o scale weights) a tire of around 2000-2200 is needed (given a true scale weight of .9 of GVWR). Higher load rated would be a bit better, overall. Wheels must also conform.

I'd do the work based on Barry Smith's new chart on ST tire replacement, and work from TT GVWR instead of a percentage:

Barry's Tire Tech

Kelly, you'll also want to do a set of certified weight scale readings to get your WDH well dialled in. It will also remove any question about what tires for either vehicle are best (as to load rating) not to mention best TV tire pressures!

The closest CAT Scales are in San'tonio. Otherwise, along IH-35. May be some other scales closer to home that you can use (see 2Air's CAT Scale thread). And Kerrville (where my folks moved just over 20-yrs ago) has plenty of tire retailers (DISCOUNT my favorite as well).

RedNax, I looked up the Bridgestone and the BF Goodrich tires you said.
Does the Bridgestone only come in a 16"? The BF Goodrich does have a 15" tire but were you referring to the 16" in that tire, not the 15"?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Kelly,

There's good reason to be concerned about tires. They keep us going and if they fail, the results can be pretty serious.

Michelin has muddied the waters on this with using the brand "LTX" tires for a "P[assenger]" tire. The letter(s) before the numbers matter and the rest is marketing. Michelin has been selling tires branded "LTX" for decades. Originally it meant the company's well regarded "X" tires were available for light trucks. The "LTX" brand has a very good reputation. We have bought them for decades and have gotten excellent service with them. Further confusing everyone is that "P" tires have been installed by manufacturers on light trucks and SUV's. We had cheap OEM "P" tires on our Tundra and replaced them after 18,000 miles with Michelin LTX A/T2 tires. They are doing great. This is more tire than you need on a trailer because they will probably time out before the tread wears out.

The discussion of whether "P" tires are ok on a trailer has been going on for a while. Sometimes the weight numbers seem to be ok with smaller trailers, but the construction of LT tires is different than P (others can explain that better than me). I prefer the LT type.

You just got this trailer and it obviously has old wizzened tires on it. You are wisely, I think, looking for the best tire for the trailer and to not spend more than you can afford. I am sure you spent a lot on the trailer and you will want to spend more on fixing things, making it yours and doing improvements. I think safety is first in what you spend money on. Therefore, tires are necessary now. If you invest in 5 15" tires now, you will have sunk a lot of money into something less than you will feel good about. Nonetheless, they will be a lot cheaper than 16" LT tires and wheels. Tough decision. I think you should be able to find wheels for less than $600 for 4. Make sure the wheels are 0˚ offset, can handle 80 psi tires and that you get metal valve stems. There are now black steel wheels that look cool and cost somewhat less, but I really know nothing about them. They might look good as a contrast with all the aluminum. As a long term investment, I think 16" is the way to go, but how much money you have is always an issue.

Gene
Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #76
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
OK, just got off the phone with Discount tire. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with new 16" aluminum wheels and either the Michelin or BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's. Also got a private message from Phoenix which was sooooooo helpful.

I'll just eat peanut butter for while and have safe, reliable tires

kelly
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Peanut butter is good. It's like when you are in college and you want to party and then later on, no money for anything but peanut butter.

Gene
Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
After reading the entirety of the Woodall thread along with this one and reviewing the spreadsheet provided by Barry’s Tire Tech; it seems for our one axle trailer which is rated at 4300# GAWR and 4500#GVWR that we can either continue using ST225/75R15 LRD GYMs or upgrade to LT225/75R16 LRE. I do not think that going the “intermediate step” of going to a ST225/75R15 LRE wheel and tire combination would be cost effective; better to pay the price once. Also; it looks like to me that if you stay with the GYMs; you need to be prepared to trade every 3 years or 15,000 miles whichever comes first.

Lewster was pretty much right on the money when he posted this back on 3/1/2007; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post442750.

We will be upgrading to the LT225/75R16 LRE wheel and tire combination shortly. Serious piece of mind for us one axle folks.

Ed
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I don't question the tales of horror told herein about Goodyear Marathons - but, for comparison, my own tale is quite different. I just mounted my 3rd set of GYMs this afternoon, replacing a current set that was 6-years old. Yes, I live in a cold climate now - Maine. I did, however travel to Florida in 2004, and then back up through the mid-US, via the mothership in Ohio, early in 2005, on the original set of GYMs. They were 5-years old by that time. The only problem was that I had experienced bad tread wear due to mis-aligned axles - i.e., the reason for our visit to AS in Ohio - and I replaced the GYMs after aligning the axles. We have generally stayed in the Northeast subsequently - doing Nova Scotia, PE Island, the Adirondacks, the White Mountains, and the coast of Maine. For the record, I've been towing campers or boats of one size or the other, plus having owned a motorhome along the way, for over 47 years. I've never experienced a blow-out or a catastropic tire failure. All of my towing originated in Florida up to 1994 as I am a native Floridian - so high temperatures are not unknown to me. I know that I'm not the only one with a record like this so others should take heart that tire problems are not necessarily "part and parcel" of the Airstream or "trailering" life. You could enjoy the same success I've had, using nothing more than OEM equipment and paying attention to inflation, loading, speed, wheel alignment, and the other factors that can so adversely affect tire life. I have always run my GYMs at 50 psi, per Airstream's recommendation, and periodic weighing at truck scales - even though I now use load range "D" versus the original "C" (---which is no longer available.) ---and yes, I run Michelins on my GMC dually!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cracker, I'm glad you have had a good experience with the Marathons. For those of us who have switched to 16", we are trying to reduce risk. There are just too many reports on this and other Forums about bad times with Marathons. I got 18,000 miles out of the OEM Marathons—they did have some more tread left, but it was time to change.

I figure I will get much more than twice the tread life out of the Michelins than from the Marathons, so the price for the Michelins is probably less figuring in one less payment for mountain and balancing.

Gene
Old 03-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #81
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleighj View Post
After reading the entirety of the Woodall thread along with this one and reviewing the spreadsheet provided by Barry’s Tire Tech; it seems for our one axle trailer which is rated at 4300# GAWR and 4500#GVWR that we can either continue using ST225/75R15 LRD GYMs or upgrade to LT225/75R16 LRE. I do not think that going the “intermediate step” of going to a ST225/75R15 LRE wheel and tire combination would be cost effective; better to pay the price once. Also; it looks like to me that if you stay with the GYMs; you need to be prepared to trade every 3 years or 15,000 miles whichever comes first.

Lewster was pretty much right on the money when he posted this back on 3/1/2007; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post442750.

We will be upgrading to the LT225/75R16 LRE wheel and tire combination shortly. Serious piece of mind for us one axle folks.

Ed
Hi, Ed. Kudoes on making ones way through that lengthy thread (due to post numbers and links) and for adding the link from a resident wise man. Bob Thompson has a lengthy thread recently revived on the BFG Commercial T/A. While the Load Rate E is a stiff sonuva (due to running max psi) I hope it works for you. Going to 16" does seem the right way.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Hi, Ed. Kudoes on making ones way through that lengthy thread (due to post numbers and links) and for adding the link from a resident wise man. Bob Thompson has a lengthy thread recently revived on the BFG Commercial T/A. While the Load Rate E is a stiff sonuva (due to running max psi) I hope it works for you. Going to 16" does seem the right way.
Rednax:

One thing I noticed in Lewster’s post was that he was running his BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires @ 65 PSI. Whatever tires we get we will run at the specified PSI for the tire. As for making my way through the RV Forum thread; as I deal with a lot legal writing every day; it was refreshing.

Ed
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #83
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There are those -- and I was among them -- who will run TT tires at a pressure less than sidewall maximum, more reflective of load (as we would with the TV). But, as you note, the sidewall max is now the minimum. Thus, ideally, the correct Load Range (Load Index, more accurately) be chosen.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleighj View Post
Rednax:

One thing I noticed in Lewster’s post was that he was running his BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires @ 65 PSI. Whatever tires we get we will run at the specified PSI for the tire. As for making my way through the RV Forum thread; as I deal with a lot legal writing every day; it was refreshing.

Ed
The specified psi varies according to the weight it supports. Specified does not equal maximum psi—the number printed on the side of the tire.

It is best to consult tables for a specific tire to show how much weight it supports at different pressures. You could vary it according to how much heavy the trailer actually is or go with the maximum gross weight of the trailer. Then tinker with it according to tire wear.

Gene