Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post

Both of these are ribs, and the caveat on Tire Rack says not for near-freezing conditions. The retailers tell me that at <40 degrees, the rubber starts to become hard, minimizing traction. I realize there's no power to the wheels, but traction seems relevant for lateral stability and for stopping. What do the users say on these tires, i.e., are they ok for year-round use?

What about the Michelin LTX M/S2 as a 15" option (235/75R15), i.e., slightly larger?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have Michelin XPS Ribs (225/75x16), which are similar tires. We towed our 19-foot Bambi in subfreezing weather (around +5 degrees F) in a blinding snow storm; roadway was new packed snow over ice. I did not notice any unusual loss of traction. However, our tow vehicle didn't have much traction, either. At least our Bambi didn't try to come around our Tundra during a panic stop on the freeway when we swerved to avoid a car that spun out and came across our bow.

I wouldn't install these on our tow vehicle in the winter, but they worked fine on our Bambi in slick conditions.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
Both of these are ribs, and the caveat on Tire Rack says not for near-freezing conditions. The retailers tell me that at <40 degrees, the rubber starts to become hard, minimizing traction. I realize there's no power to the wheels, but traction seems relevant for lateral stability and for stopping. What do the users say on these tires, i.e., are they ok for year-round use?

What about the Michelin LTX M/S2 as a 15" option (235/75R15), i.e., slightly larger?
I would use those tires at zero degrees if the road was dry. Remember, they didnt have all season tires before 1975, just imagine what Wally had to use back then. I wont tow on snow or ice. If you do try studded tires.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #60
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
btw, do I get college credits if I finish this thread?

Ours won't go on as long. Thus the recommendation of skipping all but [4] contributors on theirs. As of last night I'd gone through the blogs and the preceding threads as well as REVIVED a second time. It moves pretty fast when read with the above discretion.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Like some others, I’m inclined to stick with the 15” wheels. Within that limitation, I’ve extracted the Tire Rack data from 2 tires (Continental Vanco 2, 225/70R15, and Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R15), and compared them with the GYM’s, load range D. Unfortunately, the data scrambled during the upload, and I'm not sure how to reasonably address that complexity for this forum, so I had to deleted the table. The Continental Vanco 2, the highest load capacity at 2540#, is a “summer” tire, with the usual caveat relative to near-freezing temperatures. The Michelin M/S2, an LT tire, reflects the lowest load capacity at 2183#, ignoring whatever rating differential gymnastics that exist between LT & ST tires. The GYM at 2470# carries the curse of the ST tires, whatever that might be. All 3 tires weigh 31 pounds.

I realize there are other options out there, including other brands of ST tires, but what is the considered recommendation between these options? Does the "summer" tire construction create an issue with the Vanco 2? Is the M/S2 load rating too low? Is the GYM ST construction a deal buster? Will the Vanco 2 and the M/S 2 have difficulty remaining on the rim during 90+ degree turns? etc, etc.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #62
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
*Load Range on Michelin M/S2 is inferred based on 50 psi max inflation.

That leads me to think they are not load range D,
I found them for $145 free shipping and $70 gift card but that 50 psi??????

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
*Load Range on Michelin M/S2 is inferred based on 50 psi max inflation.

That leads me to think they are not load range D,
I found them for $145 free shipping and $70 gift card but that 50 psi??????
Sounds like a P metric, Load range C, M/S2???/ Is there such an animal?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #64
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Ok, the plot thickens, called Michlin, that is a passenger tire the LTX is a name only not the type it is a P, there are not load ranges on them, they do not make any.

They said Bridgestone make a LT load "C" but not D,

Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
In my table that I couldn't get to upload properly (I had to edit my post after the scrambled upload, and I deleted my table), I inferred a load range C on the Michelin M/S2 based on that 50 psi inflation, which is typical of load range C tires. The load capacity of the M/S2 is a concern to me, but I wanted to see what you thought.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
The GYM at 2470# carries the curse of the ST tires, whatever that might be. .
You really havent got it by now? Its a 4 letter word.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #67
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
btw, do I get college credits if I finish this thread?

Ours won't go on as long. Thus the recommendation of skipping all but [4] contributors on theirs. As of last night I'd gone through the blogs and the preceding threads as well as REVIVED a second time. It moves pretty fast when read with the above discretion.

Yes, RedNax, I definitely think you should get a college degree for finishing this thread but PLEASE, not yet. First of all I cannot begin to thank all of you for your valuable information on all the tire threads. I think I have read them all but now the problem is I have too much info and am afraid to "pull the trigger" and buy my new tires.

I just purchased my "used" but new to me, 27 FB last summer. I cannot afford to upgrade to the 16" tires right now. I have always had Michelin tires on my cars and have them on my 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7 tow vehicle. I have never had a problem with any Michelin tire so I naturally want to put them on my AS. Right now they have the factory GM on. I have not done much traveling, only short distances ,but am planning a 2 month trip to Michigan this summer and want to have new tires when I leave.

I travel light in my trailer and truck. I always dump before I leave a park, and do not carry my fresh water with more than 1/4 full. My GW is 7600 lbs which I am not even close to so I am thinking (and from reading) that the Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15 XL 108T tires are for me with their load range of 1985 lbs. I am assuming the change from 225 to 235 tires will not be an issue for my trailer. Do you thinks these tires will work for me? Also:

1. How do I determine how much weight my equalizer hitch takes off my trailer weight and puts on the back of my truck? (it is the back, right?)

2. I went online to see where I can order these tires and it looks as if my local Walmart can get them and the Tire Rack website. Have any of you ordered these tires from either of these places?

I know, I know, I should have all these answers after reading all the tire threads but I am just on overload!!!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kelly
Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #68
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post

the Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15 XL 108T tires are for me with their load range of 1985 lbs. I am assuming the change from 225 to 235 tires will not be an issue for my trailer. Do you thinks these tires will work for me?
Kelly, they are car tires, not truck or trailer, they are load range B I think.

Call the michlin.......they are P not LT

Also you need a 20% margin so you need tires that will carry 7600 + 20%

like 9,000lbs / 4 = 2250 each.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #69
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
I travel light in my trailer and truck. I always dump before I leave a park, and do not carry my fresh water with more than 1/4 full. My GW is 7600 lbs which I am not even close to so I am thinking (and from reading) that the Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15 XL 108T tires are for me with their load range of 1985 lbs. I am assuming the change from 225 to 235 tires will not be an issue for my trailer. Do you thinks these tires will work for me?
My assessment would be that these tires are not suitable for trailer use because they are passenger tires, not LT or ST tires.

LT tire availability in 15" with higher load capacities is poor, which is why people switch to 16" rims. To remain with your current rims you are probably better off getting GYMs or another trailer tire. They should work out fine as long as you derate the load carrying capacity by 15% while keeping the tires fully inflated. That means you'll need load range D tires.

Quote:

1. How do I determine how much weight my equalizer hitch takes off my trailer weight and puts on the back of my truck? (it is the back, right?)
Weigh the trailer on a platform scale, by itself, while it is disconnected from the truck. Then weigh the trailer axles while the truck is hitched to it and you have your equalizer hitch set up the usual way. The difference is the tongue weight.

Whether the weight falls on the front or rear axle of the truck depends on how you have your WD set up. In most cases all the tongue weight goes on the rear axle and some weight is moved from the front axle to the rear.

Quote:
2. I went online to see where I can order these tires and it looks as if my local Walmart can get them and the Tire Rack website. Have any of you ordered these tires from either of these places?
I haven't ordered from Tire Rack myself but have corresponded with many people who have. I haven't heard any complaints. Be sure you compare total installed price to your best deal locally and see if the cost savings are worth it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
kds, congratulations on your new (to you) trailer.

I agree you should avoid "P" tires. As for 16" wheels, maybe you could go with steel wheels for now as they should be cheaper than aluminum. They won't look as good, but at least your trailer will be individualized and the tires should be safer. You could also look for used aluminum wheels, but make sure you get the right ones. Or use a steel wheel for the spare and aluminum for the others.

Have you checked with Discount Tire? They will make deals on tires and wheels from time to time. They also ship for free (although you may not get as good a discount). The closest one to you is in Kerrville and I'd call them and see what they will do for you. They are one of the few chains that I have had consistently good results with over the years.

As for the WD hitch, my understanding is that generally 1/3 the weight goes to the trailer axles, 1/3 to the rear truck axle and 1/3 to the front truck axle if the hitch is adjusted correctly. This is a generalization and your results may vary.

How old are the Marathons on the trailer now? Do they have a lot of tread? You could use them for a while until you can afford the wheels and tires to do this right. Just watch tire pressure, look at the tires frequently, and drive a little slower.

Gene