Old 03-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #127
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks, Gene. I might wish for a less tendentious manner, less what others consider pedantic, but early training in abstractions tends to linger. (Writing advertising copy, per your recent link, is no easy thing, n'est-ce pas?)

The "thing" about numbers is this: when I run into a problem I want to be able to fall back on a baseline. A zero re-set. I'd like for guys on AIR to look at the scale tickets and reported numbers from my logbook to help me in diagnosis. And, on other forums, with other savvy contributors to also help troubleshoot in the same way. In the overlap of RV's, commercial trucking, racing, and vehicle-specific experts, there is impressive overlap of how to dissect technical problems. The Internet makes new things possible.

Longest life at lowest cost with highest reliability is the backbone of safe operation, and not just my idea of how best to plan in allocating money.

As interesting as trailers are -- and as central as tires are to the Number One function of a trailer, mobility -- questions about operational use should be to the point. No deviations from agreed upon practice. In that I make it easy for my interlocutors thus may I generate more and/or better responses.

The idiosyncrasies of any rig are otherwise enough to occupy our attention (thus my earlier comment about "mind").

Following that, modelling the trailer to our taste and use is far more interesting at the end of the day than the smell of burning rubber. Symphony conductors live to a highly ripe age. Worn down mechanics, not so much. "Mind" is much at stake, then, in re-creating ourselves.

Finally, the arguments (the search) for what distinguishes good from better from best is little more than assembling the clock pieces that they (and the driver) wind down slowly together. Used to one another, as it were.

The search, then, is to make the future easier. Predictable on these counts of things mechanical.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I asked this question a long time ago (---around 2006) - but never got an answer:

Correct Pressure??
This discussion finally came around to my question! During my factory vist, Airstream replaced my original Goodyear Marathon tires, load range "C," with new Goodyear Marathon, load range "D" tires. As Porky pointed out, the capacity of the "D" tires is 2,540 lbs at 65 psi, as opposed to 2,150 lbs at 50 psi for load range "C" or "D." Airstream originally recommended that the tires be inflated to 50 psi for my 2000 30' Excella. Accordingly, in order to achieve the softest ride, I would assume that the lower 50 psi pressure is still correct? I don't believe that Airstream is willing to arbitrarily increase my CCC by 1,560 lbs!

None of the current discussions have provided a definitive answer either - however, I continued to run the tires at 50 psi for the next 6 years (---as per my previous comments herein) without incident. So, was my assumption correct???
I decided to compromise with myself somewhat and run the new Marathons (Load Range "D") at 55 psi. Not very technical - but with over 10 years personal experience running Marathons at 50 psi - including a Florida trip - I believe this is a reasonable change. Besides, 55 psi is the same pressure I run in my duallys, when loaded for a trip, so I don't even have to think too much! I run the front tires on the dually at 65 psi.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #129
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The sidewall maximum air pressure for TT tires is easy to live with when we observe certain conditions. And it needn't be remembered at all as it is front of us at every air pressure check.

I was moving my trailer a few days ago and the stresses in sawing back-and-forth were not pretty. Hard on the sidewalls . . wants to tear the tire from the rim. Conditions not amenable to less than top numbers.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote