Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Yet another, Do I need new Axle's? Post

I realize there are a ton of threads on axles and deciding when it is time to replace them. With that said, I am still on the fence.

Our trailer is a 1997 triple axle. It has spent the vast majority of its life sitting in one spot. Today I put it up on jack stands to check the angle of the Torsion Arms. With the wheels/tires still mounted on the drums, the arms have about a 2 degree negative angle. Also, as I jacked up the trailer, the wheels "dropped" very little (an inch to inch and a half at most) In the experience of those who have replaced their axles, should I go ahead and do it at this point, or am I good for now.

The second part of this question is does anyone know if the Henschen plant is back up and running in Elkhart, IN at this point. Since I live in GA, I would prefer not to pay shipping all the way from the West Coast when I will be in Indianapolis for Thanksgiving. The quote for shipping alone what around $550! That's a quarter of the price of three new axles.

Thanks in advance. I know I couldn't have done as much with this trailer without the expert advice generously shared on this forum.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
The way you describe it ,you need new axles.I believe the axles from Andy are shipped from Ohio.Don`t know if he has the exclusive rights to an axle for your rig,you may be able to order from an AS dealer. Dave

Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I realize there are a ton of threads on axles and deciding when it is time to replace them. With that said, I am still on the fence.

Our trailer is a 1997 triple axle. It has spent the vast majority of its life sitting in one spot. Today I put it up on jack stands to check the angle of the Torsion Arms. With the wheels/tires still mounted on the drums, the arms have about a 2 degree negative angle. Also, as I jacked up the trailer, the wheels "dropped" very little (an inch to inch and a half at most) In the experience of those who have replaced their axles, should I go ahead and do it at this point, or am I good for now.

The second part of this question is does anyone know if the Henschen plant is back up and running in Elkhart, IN at this point. Since I live in GA, I would prefer not to pay shipping all the way from the West Coast when I will be in Indianapolis for Thanksgiving. The quote for shipping alone what around $550! That's a quarter of the price of three new axles.

Thanks in advance. I know I couldn't have done as much with this trailer without the expert advice generously shared on this forum.
The Henschen plant, is closed.

Another company, back east, will be producing the Henschen axles, to the original Henschen specs.

However, the changeover is taking some time.

Guestimates are that it could take another 30 to 60 days before production is ready, and possibly longer.

Accordingly, we purchased a couple of hundred Henschen axles for stock, before they shut down.

Yes, we agree, that freight, can become expensive, but unfortunately, it's something we all have to live with.

The best way to save money on freight shipments is to have the delivery made to a commercial address. Experience says that picking up "at the dock", usually costs more by the time the freight line gets through with it. Some freight lines charge as much as $50.00, just to call a person.

Andy
Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
try use "U-Ship".....you might be surprised and get a great delivery deal.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
try use "U-Ship".....you might be surprised and get a great delivery deal.
I don't think I want to jeopardize our customers by using U-ship. There are a number of negative posts about them, on line. Here is just one of them.

Andy

uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Vehicles or Moves is a rip off to customers
We are the 3rd largest shipping company in the United States. Most customers have no clue that because of the fees Uship charges the shipper pays more thn if they would have just g...

Sep 18, 2010