Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Would it be smart to pour a pad?

I'm going to "prep" my Texas seacoast lot for my '69 Ambassador in two weeks. I plan to park it there for a long time. Although the lot is essentially bare crushed shell and is built up a bit from its surroundings, would it be smart to have a concrete pad poured to park it on, or would it be better to simply set the tires on concrete or cinderblock squares? Or--should I just leave the ground as it is?
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I like the idea of a pad.

Here's a thread with some pros & cons on what you face.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I can't decide either....

But I was told that the tires don't like concrete. Maybe we could use welcome mats over the concrete.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Are you gonna take the concrete pad with you when the next hurricane comes through?

Or are you gonna put down a new one every other year?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My personal preference for a pad situation is well drained gravel and then park the trailer up on some PT wood. Seems to be the least detrimental to the tires. Besides gravel is cheaper than concrete.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

I use scrap Corian rectangles under my tires. No water absorption and quite an inert material. ... Works for me!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Pour a pad. I am going to. The moisture coming up from the ground is detrimental. As far as tire damage, I would not worry about it. If you going to park it, take the tires off, and put the coach on blocks.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
I use scrap Corian rectangles under my tires. No water absorption and quite an inert material. ... Works for me!
WOW! Millionnare Airstreaming at its best on second thought...just make the whole pad out of corian

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. Pour the pad.

Ours sits over winter inside in a quasi heated garage (about 30 degrees when it's below zero outside).

I have some cheap patio carpeting I place under the tires. The fabric cushions the tires sitting and also prevents constant contact with the cement.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Details...

If you decide on a pad, think about pitch for drainage. My master plan includes a pad which has a level area where the tires sit so that the refrigerator can be pre-cooled before a trip.

If you hire a contractor, and do not discuss the project, you may end up with a pad pitched for drainage which means you may have to shim one side of your trailer for level when you park it.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Pads are a nice feature. Just put the tires on plywood during the park. Check with local codes to see how far property setbacks are. I poured mine to close to the street (38 feet rather than the 50 foot setback) and our county won't let me use it for the intended purpose. We live in the boonies too.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Even if you park the trailer with the tires seperated from the concrete, after about 5 to 7 years those tires will not be trust worthy enough to use. The tire will not last forever if not used.

Long term park? Block it and sell the tires.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-13-2005, 07:34 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Dg

I just completed the first phase of what will become the personal parking spot for our Overlander. I first leveled out the ground with a tractor as we live on slight grade and then put down a good quality decomposed granite (DG). I put an approx. 5 degree slope for water drainage and the DG has good draining qualities as well. Phase 2-10 of this project will include a fence, gate,lights, landscaping and a wood pergola to keep her covered at night. Alot of work, but she's worth it. Right?

Steve
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Lightbulb Pads

Seems to me that the crushed shells would give you the drainage, but not the support you might need.
I poured two pads, one for each tire on a single axle GlobeTrotter, level with each other. Don't forget rebar. I just placed a couple layers of patio blocks under the tongue jack.
Inexpensive, no maintainence, NO permits required, and a sound place to store and work on the trailer. Granted your situation is a bit different but this installation has lasted for 6 years without any problems.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:36 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
"Padded" or not--what about blocks or jacks?

Thanks for all of the great replies to my post. Weighoing everything--money, effectiveness, etc.--I'm beginning to go with the idea of removing the wheels and putting the AS up on blocks. Now--what's the best way to do this? Since the tires are good, could I buy junked tireless wheels to replace them, put the tire wheels in storage or sell them, and set the AS down on the tireless rims? Is there a way to protect the exposed drums? How high up should the AS sit? What about leaving it up on cheap jacks? HELP!
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Most amount of damage is going to occur from things above not below.

Rain, hail, snow, sunlight. And all of those things hurt the top of the trailer. A/C unit ($500) Vents (fantastic $150 regular $50) clear coat and shine ($150 a foot) I don't think most people think rain is a big deal. (It's not really that bad here - AZ) However water is basically a solvent. And given enough time the rain will wash away everything. Vulkem, silicone, clear coat, metal and ????

The things from below that you have to be concerned are tires only. (providing there is a level surface) That's maybe $150 each times 4 = $600. And everyone is going to replace tires anyway no matter what the situation. Wear or cracks tires will be replaced. Nothing else really touches the ground.

Get a cover too!!!!!!!!! Tent/canopy runs $200 with no permit. Some metal car ports not permentally attached $1000 no permit. Or go wild.

I would think the pad would be great and a cover for the top of the trailer to be an absolute. Crushed shells work well in Mexico. There are several places I go that the trailers have sat long enough on the sea shells that the tires have rotted out and leaked. Or 4X8X2 paving blocks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Brach
Since the tires are good, could I buy junked tireless wheels to replace them, put the tire wheels in storage or sell them, and set the AS down on the tireless rims? Is there a way to protect the exposed drums? How high up should the AS sit? What about leaving it up on cheap jacks? HELP!
Tireless rims. That might work. It wouldn't look very good. And the contact patch would be far less than an inflated tire. You will want to support the trailer in the front and rear to prevent flexing when using it. Stabilizers do this if your trailer is so equipped.

Long term storage will also "set" the torsion axle. So using the axle to support the trailer for long term may not yield you the best results.

Throwing out ideas that others may add on to ....

Remove the tires/wheels and let the axle hang. Support the frame with metal jacks that are used in the manufactured home biz. Issues - jak to frame contact. Since the A/S trailer has a belly skin, the frame is not visable. So placement would be critical, such that you do not want the trailer to shift (when people are moving inside) and the trailer comes off the jacks. And that may look like 4 stands to a side or ???? And may be you might conside a fastener from the stand to the frame. (Screw or bolt) Instead of relying on gravity. Allowing the axle to hang from the trailer with the lowest point an inch or so off the ground, keeps the trailer from having any issues with ground contact. (Wheel bending, termites, digging a hole in the ground) And allows the axle to take a set (if it is going to set) in a way that will support the trailer better when it is used in traveling in later years. With the wheels off the trailer will likely be closer to the ground than if it had wheels on it. The axle travel is not great. Proper support of the frame is the biggest issue.

Again just my thoughts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
re:. parking pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
My personal preference for a pad situation is well drained gravel and then park the trailer up on some PT wood. Seems to be the least detrimental to the tires. Besides gravel is cheaper than concrete.

Aaron
Once again this site has a thread that is timely and helpful to me, so thanks to all who posted. Aaron, your post (quoted above) is the way I am going too. I had ramp & pad made from crushed stone a.k.a. item 4 applied to a prepped sub-base. that connects to the rear of my existing driveway. Once the crushed stone/item 4 was laid down, a paving roller was used to compact to the base. I was instructed by the installer to water down the ramp and pad for the next five days following the installation date.

My next step is to have a shelter/RV Port that will be installed over the pad build. I am working with a contractor that I have used for years now, and he s going to present me with several plans with varying designs to choose from. I will post pics of the progress for those who are interested in this sort of shelter approach on your own yard.